• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.32 Mag S&W J Frame anyone?

The problem with the .32 H&R Magnum is that is really not. It has similar ballistics to a .32 auto. And for defensive purposes that caliber has fallen out of favor for a long, long time.

Now the .327 Federal is a beastly little cartridge that lives up to its name. It’s a magnum in every sense of the word. Maybe some new H&R loads will push the envelope.

I have an older version of the above pistol. As well as the long discontinued version in .327 with a ported 3” barrel. That gun was was too much in too small a package and it shows…

The problem with the .32 H&R Magnum is that is really not. It has similar ballistics to a .32 auto. And for defensive purposes that caliber has fallen out of favor for a long, long time.

Now the .327 Federal is a beastly little cartridge that lives up to its name. It’s a magnum in every sense of the word. Maybe some new H&R loads will push the envelope.

I have an older version of the above pistol. As well as the long discontinued version in .327 with a ported 3” barrel. That gun was was too much in too small a package and it shows…
32 H&R has way more stank than a 32 ACP
32 ACP 70 grain bullet around 1000 FPS
32 H&R is a 100 around 1200 FPS

Almost double the energy there.

The case size and ability to handle heavier bullets alone makes the H&R outclass the ACP. Getting well over that 1000 FPS makes for much more reliable expansion with hollow points too.

32 H&R has way more stank than a 32 ACP
32 ACP 70 grain bullet around 1000 FPS
32 H&R is a 100 around 1200 FPS

Almost double the energy there.

The case size and ability to handle heavier bullets alone makes the H&R outclass the ACP. Getting well over that 1000 FPS makes for much more reliable expansion with hollow points too.
1200 fps w/ a 100gr is .327 from a snub territory, .32 Mag from a snub is around 1050-1100 fps with premium 100gr stuff like Buffalo Bore, 950 with 80 and 85gr mainstream ammo like Hornady.

The H&R Mag can go as fast or faster with a 33% heavier bullet than what .32 ACP can, yet operates at the same pressure.

What holds .32 H&R mag back is the non boutique ammo companies will load it down to keep them from destroying the original H&R .32 Mag revolvers. I don't think hot stuff like Buffalo Bore would blow up those weak H&R revolvers, they would likely bust the timing and lockup tho.

.32 Mag is a cartridge capable of more power, not max .327 levels, but something around 30k yeah.

1200 fps w/ a 100gr is .327 from a snub territory, .32 Mag from a snub is around 1050-1100 fps with premium 100gr stuff like Buffalo Bore, 950 with 80 and 85gr mainstream ammo like Hornady.

The H&R Mag can go as fast or faster with a 33% heavier bullet than what .32 ACP can, yet operates at the same pressure.

What holds .32 H&R mag back is the non boutique ammo companies will load it down to keep them from destroying the original H&R .32 Mag revolvers. I don't think hot stuff like Buffalo Bore would blow up those weak H&R revolvers, they would likely bust the timing and lockup tho.

.32 Mag is a cartridge capable of more power, not max .327 levels, but something around 30k yeah.
Of course barrel length and cylinder gap play into those velocities. 32 ACP isn’t know for long barrels either.
I would carry a 32 mag J frame for sure. Probably better than a .40

I would guess that in Scandium it would be like shooting 357 mag. Downright unpleasant and painful.
Yep. I haven’t done the 357 but I’ve done the 44 mag scandium.
Shot 250 rounds of full house 250 grain bullets out of my 6 1/2” 629. Then I shot a whopping total of 3 rounds from a buddies 329 being tapping out.
No thanks
@Broc ‘s 45-70 revolver is way more pleasant to shoot

I like this gun, and I am definitely interested in 6 shot .32 caliber J-frames. I am hoping that there will be more of them, since the few that were made in the past now demand a ridiculous premium.

Regarding construction, I think they made the right choice here with an aluminum frame .32 H&R magnum. .327 Federal would require either a scandium or steel frame, which means you choose either expensive or heavy. I think both of those choice would probably have a good place in the market, but this aluminum frame, which is light and affordable, probably has the widest audience.

Good luck finding one:
IMG_2826.jpeg
Personally I would buy a .327 Fed Taurus for half the price. That’s what I’m doing. Wife wants a yard gun I was looking at the .38 but thanks to NES I have been steered to .32 where I already have several along with reloading supplies…

Back
Top Bottom