• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you lock your guns in your truck, leave it at the range and walk to work?

By "next to", I mean within a 5 minute drive. Too bad ranges don't have personal storage lockers that could safely and legally be able to lock up guns while I'm at work. But, I realize that's not practical since few rangers are staffed all day - thieves would want to steal the guns if they knew guns were stored unattended at an empty range club house.

When you go down range to change a target, turn around to head back up range and realize someone is handling their firearm or sighting it in on a target. Then when speaking to them about the situation, the response is typically along the lines is "its unloaded" or the best yet "its just a .22LR" nothing to worry about.... I take the fifth to posting my response/reaction on the web....

That's mine as well. That pisses me off beyond belief to see some doucherocket handling firearms pointed at me.

pet peeve of mine?

miculek aka "mile kick" muzzle breaks! seriously? its 5.56 / .223, not a eFFing .50 cal.

[rofl]

yeah boooooy.
emottootq.gif

what up miculek buddy.
emothfive.gif

People who shoot signs and gates.

Someone (or all members) spent the money/time to create the sign for the general good of the members and potential guests. Then, someone thought it would be funny to shoot at it. Every time I see that I picture the punks laughing and pointing at the dent "tee-heeing" to themselves.

People from Mass who are constantly complaining about how anybody who strikes up a conversation is wasting their time. Its a gun club, its supposed to be a community and a club, stop being a damn cold ma**h***.

This. The AWB monitors . You'd think you wouldn't have to deal with that at a range.

Probably the same people who made up the Sportsmen for John Kerry club.

Last edited:
I've never had anyone ask me but a likely response would be "WTF do you care?!"

I've had several different comments/questions in the past related to the legality of what I brought. A couple were about the muzzle brake on the AR-15. One of them was fairly insistent about doubting its legality. I had to explain it is just your standard Bushmaster that I bought at Four Seasons. Four Seasons wouldn't sell anything illegal. I got a couple other comments about the GSG-5 barrel shroud (which ironically was declared to be a "silencer" a few months back by the ATF and I had to send it in to get a replacement.)

The "experts" that like to play McGruff the crime dog, you know, the "I've been on the force for 10 years, and that (muzzle break, stock, magazine, gun in general) is not legal in mass". No I'm sorry, but not only is it legal mcgruff, but you're also officially retarded, and the streets are safer with you at the range than in a squad car, because my knowledge of firearms and laws concerning them is clearly far beyond the years of "expert training" you've accrued.

Oh, and then you have the McGruffs that don't even have a badge.

Then you have the "No double tap defensive shots at this range pal, the town doesn't like it". Guess what, tell the town I said to go f*** themselves.

Oh, and the "experts" than apparently couldn't shoot their way out of a wet paper bag no matter how many hours they spend at the range before you and after you.

I'm just getting started...

Then you have the "No double tap defensive shots at this range pal, the town doesn't like it". Guess what, tell the town I said to go f*** themselves.

I would have dealt with that something like this...

"Is it against the club rules?"

Guy: "uhhh..... no... but the..."

"Fine, then just because you told me that, I'm going to do some mag dumps. I still have a lot of ammo left. "

-Mike

People at the range that complain that guns are loud and noisy. Its a gun range you F'en pansy.

i get this all the time from fudds. if we're interfering with your trap shoot then you need to man up and use your outside voice when calling.

i was only shooting a .308 and the guy next to me had a .300 win mag. we really weren't even that loud.

I would have dealt with that something like this...

"Is it against the club rules?"

Guy: "uhhh..... no... but the..."

"Fine, then just because you told me that, I'm going to do some mag dumps. I still have a lot of ammo left. "

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of you beside Eddie Coyle are the chief range officers/govenors at your club? I've been this at the Westwood Gun Club for a year now and you do really learn to overlook a lot of stupid stuff except for sweeping someone. I try to conduct myself as Patrick Swayze's charactor in "Road House" - correct them but be nice until it's not time to be nice. Still, there are things that happen that just set me at a slow boil that I can't correct due to the nature of the club SOP ( no full-time RO's.)

1) .22 brass - key phrase is " brass. " This is the cigarette butt of the empty cases and people think that it will biodegrade. I don't ask you to get every piece of brass ( of all calibers ) but I DO expect you to try.
2) Target frame damage - Know your limitations. If you can't keep a group of .38/.357 in the center of a 8.5 x 11" piece of paper, don't put 2 targets up that the misses will kill the wood frame. Don't act butt hurt when I tell you don't put up 2 targets because I've seen you shoot and I don't want you destroying frames that everybody needs to use.
3) Metal targets - thin = .22 use, thick = .30 use. We have 2 .22 targets that are holed with 9mm pistol or .223 that someone thought is was neat tp shoot those with. Of couse it's never in my precesence...

Joe R.

How many of you beside Eddie Coyle are the chief range officers/govenors at your club? I've been this at the Westwood Gun Club for a year now and you do really learn to overlook a lot of stupid stuff except for sweeping someone. I try to conduct myself as Patrick Swayze's charactor in "Road House" - correct them but be nice until it's not time to be nice. Still, there are things that happen that just set me at a slow boil that I can't correct due to the nature of the club SOP ( no full-time RO's.)

1) .22 brass - key phrase is " brass. " This is the cigarette butt of the empty cases and people think that it will biodegrade. I don't ask you to get every piece of brass ( of all calibers ) but I DO expect you to try.
2) Target frame damage - Know your limitations. If you can't keep a group of .38/.357 in the center of a 8.5 x 11" piece of paper, don't put 2 targets up that the misses will kill the wood frame. Don't act butt hurt when I tell you don't put up 2 targets because I've seen you shoot and I don't want you destroying frames that everybody needs to use.
3) Metal targets - thin = .22 use, thick = .30 use. We have 2 .22 targets that are holed with 9mm pistol or .223 that someone thought is was neat tp shoot those with. Of couse it's never in my precesence...

Joe R.

+1

I hate when i go through all the effort to build a barricade to shoot through and some ass clown with a neutered AR blows a section of wood off with his brake.

People who turn their rifle or pistol sideways when taking out a magazine or locking the bolt/slide back. Not cool.....not cool at all hahaha.

I rarely have to share the range with anyone, but when I do, it's invariably a Fudd trying to zero a scope, and he's terrified of wasting ammo by shooting groups. So, he tries to adjust after every shot, without knowing if the shot landed where it did because of bad zero, or just because he can't shoot.

And then he wants to endlessly pester me for advice, which he ignores.

How many of you beside Eddie Coyle are the chief range officers/govenors at your club?
I am. I don't really care about fudds and other assorted harmless idiots.

What I care about are whichever bonehead hit the overhead baffles. And his lame-ass cousin who can't figure out that the line labeled "targets below here" means his shots should go there as well, as opposed to three feet above it into the recently repaired header -- repaired from the last time he (or some other lame brain) shot up the header.

I've been this at the Westwood Gun Club for a year now and you do really learn to overlook a lot of stupid stuff except for sweeping someone.
I don't overlook anything if I see it. I correct people. If they don't like it, they can take it up with the chief range safety officer, but I hear he's a real jerk [wink].

I rarely have to share the range with anyone, but when I do, it's invariably a Fudd trying to zero a scope, and he's terrified of wasting ammo by shooting groups. So, he tries to adjust after every shot, without knowing if the shot landed where it did because of bad zero, or just because he can't shoot.

And then he wants to endlessly pester me for advice, which he ignores.
3 or 4 hundred rounds of .308 and I should be all set for zeroing... [laugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom