• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rifle/ Pistol range

I wish I had a budget of $1k a month for ammo, that money could buy a LOT of things. Like some land in Kentucky or something lol

I know one thing, I wouldnt spend that much on ammo :)

You should maybe consider reloading or something to maybe like save some cash.
There are people at the club that spend more than that on ammo. People have their hobbies. Mine is shooting and hunting.

Like to ride a Harley? Thats 500 to 700 a month loan payment and you can't even ride it 5 months out of the year.

Like to play golf once a weekend? That's about $100 a week $400 a month for public courses.....country clubs are 10k to 15k a year.

Like to ski? Lift tickets run 100 a day!

Why do people shit themselves when they hear someone spends 200 + a week shooting? There are as....or more.....expensive activities out there.

Last edited:
I wish I had a budget of $1k a month for ammo, that money could buy a LOT of things. Like some land in Kentucky or something lol

I know one thing, I wouldnt spend that much on ammo :)

You should maybe consider reloading or something to maybe like save some cash.
I do reload.

That was a relatively recent thing if Im not mistaken and I hadnt heard of any incident that would make them put that in place. I always thought they had an over-cautious lawyer that had their ear.
Like everything lawyers screw up everything. Mostly the fuds don't go near the ranges and I can't speak for all the rso's but, if the kid can handle it and wears a badge and an 'adult' is next to them, eyes, ears, enjoy. 'Rules' say they can use center fire at 15. I've seen more fuds breaking rules than peons.

Just curious, but what is the rationale behind that if there is one? Being extra super legal or something? And is it you can only load 10 rounds in the mag or you can only use cripple mags?
Their 'rational' is they're staying within Ma law but, who's qualified to determine pre to post and also N.H. and Me. members.

Join HSC - make the extra drive. If it's legal, you can do it. Full auto, rapid fire, shoot and move, draw from holster, run and gun, full auto, SBRs, hunting and camping. These Fudd clubs suck.

Just curious, but what is the rationale behind that if there is one? Being extra super legal or something? And is it you can only load 10 rounds in the mag or you can only use cripple mags?
I wouldnt know. I don't belong to andover. I'm quoting their range rules from what I've heard and pulled off their website.

Cpfg where I am a member has no magazine limits.

😂

Can you tear the 9 and 10 rings out of an nra bullseye target at 50 feet one hand? How about clear a 6 plate rack at 25 feet in less than 2 seconds?
Hit 24 or 25 on every round of trap? 75 straight at trap?
B-3 target? yup, all day. B-2 target, still working on it, solid 8-ring.
6 plate rack? Never tried.
Trap? Too busy working at pistol.

Those that are open to learning how to get better, aren't training at mag dumps.
Although, they are fun.
Those that aren't open to learning, or think they are all that already,
have fun, just stop hitting my target.

Re: ASC and mag limits.

You can use whatever magazines you want. You're only supposed to load 10 rounds.

The rule has to do with preventing a bad DIY trigger job from creating an unexpected full-auto 30-round mag dump in the direction of the state park adjacent to the property. Which may or may not have happened at one point.

Last edited:
B-3 target? yup, all day. B-2 target, still working on it, solid 8-ring.
6 plate rack? Never tried.
Trap? Too busy working at pistol.

Those that are open to learning how to get better, aren't training at mag dumps.
Although, they are fun.
Those that aren't open to learning, or think they are all that already,
have fun, just stop hitting my target.
Can u shred that b3 target shooting 100 rounds a month? Will you get to where you want on the b2 shooting 100 rounds a month?

I don't mag dump I practice.
@Joeldiaz seems to think I shoot too much.....and get nothing from all the ammo I use....and 100 rounds a month is all I need to be proficient. I shoot way more than 100 rounds a month just in actual leage shooting.....and I practice alot. No way I'm gonna maintain where I'm at....or improve....shooting 100 rounds a month.

Last edited:
Can u shred that b3 target shooting 100 rounds a month? Will you get to where you want on the b2 shooting 100 rounds a month?

I don't mag dump I practice.

That was my point in my reply to him.
I agree with you.
Not at 100 rounds a month.
Training weekly with a specific agenda, vs practice for match conditions, vs competing in a match, vs 'fun'.

We have some on the team that only shoot the match once a week, no practice.
I don't expect them to progress quickly, as long as they enjoy the sport.

I feel like it’s to reduce rapid fire. Cause yes you can use 30 round mags with 10 loaded.

f***ing stupid fudds. It's a stupid rule no matter the reason

Yeah, I went to many public ranges in NC, some of them outside, and never had such a restriction (of course no silly 10 round/AWB BS there). If they are worried about slam-fire or something, why not limit it to 5? Or 3? If you have not been trained on how to shoot full auto, or are not expecting it, you are going to be shooting over the berm with less than 10 rounds.
f***ing stupid fudds. It's a stupid rule no matter the reason

I don't know this for a fact, so don't quote me on it, but I heard the 10 round max was put in place after that young girl was killed by the Uzi.
If I remember correctly it was originally a 5 round limit, I guess they figured the magazine would empty out before it could rise up and hit you, but that rule got changed to 10 rounds. Again, I'm not sure if this is fact or not.

I don't know this for a fact, so don't quote me on it, but I heard the 10 round max was put in place after that young girl was killed by the Uzi.
If I remember correctly it was originally a 5 round limit, I guess they figured the magazine would empty out before it could rise up and hit you, but that rule got changed to 10 rounds. Again, I'm not sure if this is fact or not.
Possibly, but I remember it being 5 rounds and that counted for revolvers too. That was beyond ridiculous

😂

Can you tear the 9 and 10 rings out of an nra bullseye target at 50 feet one hand?

Yes. B-2 slow fire and B-3 timed/rapid.

😂

How about clear a 6 plate rack at 25 feet in less than 2 seconds?

Yes. You should be at 30 - 36 feet to avoid fragments coming back at you.

😂

Hit 24 or 25 on every round of trap? 75 straight at trap?

No. I don't shoot a lot of trap anymore however last time I shot trap I had a 22 and 21. Not bad considering I hadn't shot trap in years.

Yes. B-2 slow fire and B-3 timed/rapid.

Yes

No. I don't shoot a lot of trap anymore however last time I shot trap I had a 22 and 21. Not bad considering I hadn't shot trap in years.
That's awesome. Did you get there shooting 100 rounds a month? Can you maintain that shooting 100 rounds a month?

That was really my point.

That's awesome. Did you get there shooting 100 rounds a month? Can you maintain that shooting 100 rounds a month?

That was really my point.

No. It took me a couple of seasons in Greater Boston Pistol League and probably 300 rounds a month during the season.

Steel is a different story. Plan on dumping some rounds to come up to speed. For me it is way more like getting in the groove and muscle memory than actually aiming. I've been know to dump 200 - 250 rounds in a practice session. Do that once a week all summer and add some matches and you'll dump 6k - 10k rounds between April and October.

Last edited:
No. It took me a couple of seasons in Greater Boston Pistol League and probably 300 rounds a month during the season.

Steel is a different story. Plan on dumping some rounds to come up to speed. For me it is way more like getting in the groove and muscle memory than actually aiming. I've been know to dump 200 - 250 rounds in a practice session. Do that once a week all summer and add some matches and you'll dump 6k - 10k rounds between April and October.
Yup.

Thanks.

I was called out for wasting ammo and money earlier in this thread......apparently 100 rounds a month and lots of dry fire makes people proficient. 😂😂😂😂

That is wrong that club has had that limit in place long before any of those incidents happened. It's always been semi-fudd-almost-a-loop-club but not really. Most of the clientele goes there because they're too lazy to go someplace better, and the options they have to the east are arguably worse.

Re: ASC and mag limits.

You can use whatever magazines you want. You're only supposed to load 10 rounds.

The rule has to do with preventing a bad DIY trigger job from creating an unexpected full-auto 30-round mag dump in the direction of the state park adjacent to the property. Which may or may not have happened at one point.

Nah, it has to do with it being fudd central, and this is also the only club, or one of the only club, that still bans silhouette targets because they were dumb enough to get the state range license (which nobody else bothers with, ever).

Yes. You should be at 30 - 36 feet to avoid fragments coming back at you.
I've shot plate matches at 25 feet for years, and if properly setup, this isn't a real problem. You only get bad splash if your plates are damaged or set at the wrong angle. Even the worst racks ive ever shot were not really that bad. "Wear eye protection" is the most important thing.

I've shot plate matches at 25 feet for years, and if properly setup, this isn't a real problem. You only get bad splash if your plates are damaged or set at the wrong angle. Even the worst racks ive ever shot were not really that bad. "Wear eye protection" is the most important thing.
We set ours at 25 feet. Never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom