Range pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKS Ray

NES Member
I know there was a thread regarding this a while back but I can't find it and wanted to rant.

One of my biggest pet peeves at the range is people who feel the range rules don't apply to them because they are either some type of LEO, or teaching a class. [angry]

Often you'll see them at Sippican on the 50 yard range standing about half way to the berm (25 yards) shooting handguns when the pistol range is right next door and is 25 yards from the firing line. Or my favorite, setting up a shooting station on the 100 yard range about 25 yards from the berm.

I don't get it! if you wanna shoot handguns up close, use the 25 yard handgun range, if you wanna shoot rifles at 50 yards, use the 50 yard plinking range.

I witnessed this type of shit last thursday when I saw a group of people hogging up the 50 yard range teaching a girl how to shoot. Cut off time there is currently 6pm, but as I was leaving at 6 I could still hear them blasting away. [rolleyes]

Mine is the Chatty Chuck types,I have no problem with light chit chat but I'm there for a purpose and that purpose is to shoot and and enjoy myself and spending time with my son.I don't want to spend my entire time explaining why it is I'm shooting this or that or how does it shoot ect ect or how Simple Sam has one and doesn't like it because it's to complicated to figure out how it operates.

I know there was a thread regarding this a while back but I can't find it and wanted to rant.

One of my biggest pet peeves at the range is people who feel the range rules don't apply to them because they are either some type of LEO, or teaching a class. [angry]

Often you'll see them at Sippican on the 50 yard range standing about half way to the berm (25 yards) shooting handguns when the pistol range is right next door and is 25 yards from the firing line. Or my favorite, setting up a shooting station on the 100 yard range about 25 yards from the berm.

I don't get it! if you wanna shoot handguns up close, use the 25 yard handgun range, if you wanna shoot rifles at 50 yards, use the 50 yard plinking range.

I witnessed this type of shit last thursday when I saw a group of people hogging up the 50 yard range teaching a girl how to shoot. Cut off time there is currently 6pm, but as I was leaving at 6 I could still hear them blasting away. [rolleyes]

Come to NBRG, grab a pit and be left alone.

People that bring crap to the range and leave it there....jugs, cans, metal objects, basically trash.

The snobby precision shooters sticking their noses up at the action shooters. Commenting to themselvels in hush tones about how much ammo were wasting. "O my gosh did you see that! it took him three shots to hit that plate or pin"![rolleyes]

People the hover to pick up your brass instead of waiting for you to finish shooting
People that hang one target at a time so you have to stop shooting eveery 10 minutes from them to go down range

The snobby precision shooters sticking their noses up at the action shooters. Commenting to themselvels in hush tones about how much ammo were wasting. "O my gosh did you see that! it took him three shots to hit that plate or pin"![rolleyes]

Along those same lines - only with the Fudds...They look at you like you're satan when you pull out anything other than a turkey gun or a deer rifle. I have electronic hearing protection, (something these Fudds don't seem to understand) and on Wednesday this week I overheard one of them commenting: "What does he need all that hardware for?".... [slap]

Along those same lines - only with the Fudds...They look at you like you're satan when you pull out anything other than a turkey gun or a deer rifle. I have electronic hearing protection, (something these Fudds don't seem to understand) and on Wednesday this week I overheard one of them commenting: "What does he need all that hardware for?".... [slap]

[laugh] It's funny some of the things electronic hearing picks up.

I don't have too many issues at the Barnstable range, only thing that comes to mind was a time we were shooting skeet (informally tossing clays for the fun of it) and I missed one on the first shot, racked another round and fired a second shot. Some FUDD commented that I was "wasting ammo". [rolleyes]

I hate it when people CLEARLY see me staring at their cool guns, but don't offer me a turn!!! lol

Honestly the only thing that ever really turned me off at the club is when I go with a guest, and some social butterfly wants to have a half hour conversation with me, while my guest sits there staring like "Ummm can we shoot?" It's happened a couple times, and I felt rude the first time for cutting the guy off and telling him I need to get back to my lane...

I was there today, making sure my AR is sighted-in for the Shoot-B-Q, and I had to wait forever after 3 cars pulled in... they all wanted to socialize without their ears, and then I finally got to finish my magazine and get out. I did allow a ~12-yr-old to put 20 rounds through my AR... the smile was worth the delay...

People on a pistol or rifle target team who leave their 22LR brass all over the floor so it will get under you heel. I almost went down when slipping on a piece of brass left there by such a shooter. I have never been to a range (indoor or outdoor) that doesn't have this problem. Each shooter, no matter what they are shooting, should spend the time to pick up after themselves.

I cant stand people who bitch about me shooting other things besides paper or the guy who takes half of the goddam range bay for his stuff instead of using the racks or his tailgate and last but not least the people who feel the need to tell me that i cant shoot at silhouettes.....I have an idea STFU and dont talk to me

If someone is violating the range rules, go tell the club's officers. If the officers don't know about the violation, then they can't fix it.

People on a pistol or rifle target team who leave their 22LR brass all over the floor so it will get under you heel. I almost went down when slipping on a piece of brass left there by such a shooter. I have never been to a range (indoor or outdoor) that doesn't have this problem. Each shooter, no matter what they are shooting, should spend the time to pick up after themselves.

Damn, that pisses me off... More so when I show up at the range at 7 am to get ready for a class...and I have to spend extra time cleaning up all the brass that wasn't swept up from the night before...since the kids started shooting, that hasn't been a problem. But it used to be that way. Or, just because we're teaching a class and we're going through quite a bit of .22...doesn't mean that I'm going to clean up after you and your run of a brick of .22 in your 10-22. Problem is we do...because I can't just leave it there...as most people know that we're there Sat morning and I don't want them thinking that it was us that didn't clean up after ourselves.

If someone is violating the range rules, go tell the club's officers. If the officers don't know about the violation, then they can't fix it.

Agreed. Tell them if you find it...

The 'good ole' boys' that want to show the 'little lady'(and I sure ain't little) how to do it. But then they usually back off when I pull out my .45 (and they say - 'isn't that kinda big for you?)and I put 5 holes in the bullseye at 50 feet. Love the expressions on their faces!

ALL OF THE ABOVE !!! Worst is getting swept by some idiot totally ignorant of safety.

I am SO glad that I shopped around for a property in the woods. I now have three shooting areas set up: a 10-yard pistol area (from my front porch), a 50-yard area, and a 125 yard area with a bench. My only regret is that I don't have a long-range area of 200 yards or more. Instead, I just shoot smaller targets from 125 yards. It doesn't help me practice doping the wind, but it's worth not being aggravated by morons at a public range.
I have taught my kids all the basics of shooting safety and skills with never a worry about some idiot nearby. We used to shoot at the Northwest CT Rod and Gun Club where most members were very conscientious. Even there, the range would sometimes be frequented by idiots - mostly non-members who would park outside the gate and walk in. (Members have keys to the gate.)

Every time I read these threads I am glad I don't belong to any of these ranges. My club has rules and many of us regulars there are range officers. The biggest thing I have to do is make some people back up on the firing line because they stand forward of other shooters. Since then we have moved our benches forward so you will obviously be forward of other shooters.

Every time I read these threads I am glad I don't belong to any of these ranges. My club has rules and many of us regulars there are range officers. The biggest thing I have to do is make some people back up on the firing line because they stand forward of other shooters. Since then we have moved our benches forward so you will obviously be forward of other shooters.

A lot of the smaller clubs, like NWCTR&G which I mentioned above, have range officers present only for events. On any given day when nothing special has been planned, members are on the honor system to behave safely and appropriately, according to club rules.

It ticks me off evertime some JA doesn't follow the rules and the BOD has to make up new rules because of it. It's a catch 22. They JA isn't going to follow the new rules either. Case in point, at Hopkinton some ass was shooting 30-06 on the indoor pistol range and damaged one of the steel plates. Pretty clearly marked what you can shoot in there, which means someone just ignored the rules and did it anyway. Sometimes gun owners are our own worst enemy.

People that sweep up my brass and keep it.

People that complain when I light off the 44 mag because it is loud. You are at a friggin gun range for goodness sake.

People that sweep up my brass and keep it.

People that complain when I light off the 44 mag because it is loud. You are at a friggin gun range for goodness sake.

I have had someone to take my brass before, and things quickly went south wot him starting to yell. In the end he was kicked out and told to leave my brass alone (public range)

I hate when I show up at my own private shotgun range at HSC and somebody else actually has the gaul to be on it. Luckily it doesn't happen very often [wink].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom