NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

All metal in any form fits that definition. So, they just banned everything.

Metal?

upload_2019-10-26_9-17-49.jpeg upload_2019-10-26_9-18-10.jpeg upload_2019-10-26_9-18-34.jpeg
upload_2019-10-26_9-19-27.jpeg
images
images

Metal that the ATF has determined not to be a firearm in its present state but may be altered through casting or machining and become a firearm as defined by the ATF shall be illegal to possess in the State of New York.
So what will they cover the holes they dig in the streets with?

The multi-quote thing isn't working for me... but we don't have the full text of the letter sent, just some excerpts from the ammoland article. Anyway, my point about "80%" being marketing jazz is that the NY AG is blowing smoke because an "80%" lower does not fit the definition of a firearm under either US or NY law or regulation.

First paragraph
My office has reason to believe that you are engaged in the sale and advertisement to
residents of New York of unfinished lower receivers and firearms components that are intended
for the assembly of assault weapons, as defined by New York State law. N.Y. Pen. L. §
265.00(22). Assault weapons are illegal in New York, and the sale and/or advertisement of these
products violates New York law. You are directed to cease the sale and advertisement of these
products to residents of New York within five (5) days of the receipt of this notice.

Last Paragraph

. I hereby demand that you stop the sale and advertisement to residents of New York of unfinished lower receivers and firearms components that are intended for the assembly of assault
weapons. You should take all necessary steps to preserve all physical and electronic records and
data pertaining to matters that are the subject of this letter. The information that should be
preserved includes active data (readily accessible today), archived data (stored on backup
media), and deleted data (still recoverable through the use of computer forensics). You should
also take affirmative steps to prevent anyone with access to your data systems and archives from
seeking to modify or destroy electronic evidence on network or local hard drives or servers.

Someone should troll them and offer various products for sale in NY. Now, this is not legal advice, and is very risky... getting prosecuted for "gun crimes" is no joke. That said, I'd love to see someone in all seriousness put up listings (gun broker etc) for some amusing troll products for sale specifically to NY residents.

Here's mine: One cord of unfinished AR-15 lower receivers, $300:

IMG_2034.JPG

I had a dealer once who refused to transfer a pistol frame because it might be used to build out a pistol that dealers were prohibited from selling because lists and AG.

It’s the same kind of “logic” the NY AG is using here: threatening the sellers of unfinished receivers because they might be used to construct a firearm prohibited from NY law. It might be used to construct the world’s most awkward single shot, or even (gasp!) a large capacity pencil holder. Isn’t this what lawyers would call unlawful prior restraint or some such?

Someone should troll them and offer various products for sale in NY. Now, this is not legal advice, and is very risky... getting prosecuted for "gun crimes" is no joke. That said, I'd love to see someone in all seriousness put up listings (gun broker etc) for some amusing troll products for sale specifically to NY residents.

Here's mine: One cord of unfinished AR-15 lower receivers, $300:

IMG_2034.JPG

Um,

DIY: Shovel AK - photo tsunami warning!

This thread reminded me to get to work on that 80% Arms Gen 2 jig I’ve had laying around for some time. I took my time and milled out a cheap lower for my x39 build. I used a CMMG lpk, Grid Defense fde upper, and SB sba3 fde brace to come up with this:
528D12E9-90A2-40C6-B6ED-FF8ECE9AB2B8.jpeg

The 80% Arms Gen 2 kit was pretty slick. I made a few booboos since it was my first time by dinging up the mid point sides of Slot A on a corner and the inside edge of the top plate of the jig. Chalk that up to a rookie mistake. Since it’s a x39 build it’s not going to be pretty. I expect to have trouble with everything from mags to buffer weights with this one so this is what had to be built first. The lpk install went pretty well. Everything fits quite snug. Just need my charging handle and a fixed mag install.

This thread reminded me to get to work on that 80% Arms Gen 2 jig I’ve had laying around for some time. I took my time and milled out a cheap lower for my x39 build. I used a CMMG lpk, Grid Defense fde upper, and SB sba3 fde brace to come up with this:
View attachment 309707

The 80% Arms Gen 2 kit was pretty slick. I made a few booboos since it was my first time by dinging up the mid point sides of Slot A on a corner and the inside edge of the top plate of the jig. Chalk that up to a rookie mistake. Since it’s a x39 build it’s not going to be pretty. I expect to have trouble with everything from mags to buffer weights with this one so this is what had to be built first. The lpk install went pretty well. Everything fits quite snug. Just need my charging handle and a fixed mag install.

Just gotta be patient with the router and do small steps. Pretty hard to f*** up badly while milling with that jig; the collet on the router base plate really prevents you from doing anything too stupid. It is pretty easy to jack up the trigger pin holes when drilling though, so take your time on those and the pins will be nice and snug.

It is pretty easy to jack up the trigger pin holes when drilling though, so take your time on those and the pins will be nice and snug.
This. I found that the hammer and trigger pin holes were not as snug as I’d like. Snug but not “bug in a rug” snug. Was scratching my head on how the detents on those pins worked actually. It turns out it doesn’t matter which end first but smooth end is easier to let the spring grab the detent on the other end.

This. I found that the hammer and trigger pin holes were not as snug as I’d like. Snug but not “bug in a rug” snug. Was scratching my head on how the detents on those pins worked actually. It turns out it doesn’t matter which end first but smooth end is easier to let the spring grab the detent on the other end.

I started using anti-rotation pins to prevent them from walking. Someone makes some captured pins as well. Basically just screw heads on each end to keep them from walking out.

I have screw-in pins for my drop-in trigger that I got from Brownell's last year. No idea what the make is. But I was all sorts of ??? until I figured it out. I was just going to use the stock pins. I worry the screws start walking out. Time will tell.

I used the STBA set from Tactical Innovations. Runs about $30
Drill and tap the lower pin holes to 1/4-40. Install SS bushings.
and Anti rotation Pins.

Can save some badly wallowed out holes.

Malodave

Are the pictures in that post supposed to be ginormous or is that an artifact of the new forum software?

Anyone know where the NY derived his authority to ban somethiing that isnt a gun?

How is any authority derived? It is all imaginary anyway.

But in this case, I'd say it is "because gunz!" They do whatever they want, and if enough people go along with it, then they win. Silly antiquated notions like rule of law, due process, etc. don't matter anymore to these people.

Back
Top Bottom