• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

So 6061 or 7075

Edit: doh, ya got me. Took me a long time to wake up.

7075 is arguably a better alloy and probably the way to go for a finished lower, but for ease of machinability, 6061 all day long for an 80 finished with a router.

Last edited:
I live in the DPRM, and want to buy me some Juul pods....can you tell me where I can find a store?

A legal item, banned by fiat. Hmmmm.....

actually, I don't vape. I was just making a point. [laugh]
Yeah, but that's a 4 month ban, not a permanent one and the argument can be made that vaping needs to be researched more to discover what it is that's causing all the lung issues. NY is intent on a perma ban of 80% lowers.

Of course the next step will be sub 80% lowers for the NY market to work around that ban.

7075 is arguably a better alloy and probably the way to go for a finished lower, but for ease of machinability, 6061 all day long for an 80 finished with a router.

7075 is no problem if you have a good end mill bit. Liberal use of cutting fluid and it mills down like butter. The trick is to not try to take too much at once.

Not that I would know or anything....

I live in the DPRM, and want to buy me some Juul pods....can you tell me where I can find a store?

A legal item, banned by fiat. Hmmmm.....

actually, I don't vape. I was just making a point. [laugh]
Naturally, this will all lead to 80% vape diy kits.

Last edited:
7075 is no problem if you have a good end mill bit. Liberal use of cutting fluid and it mills down like butter. The trick is to not try to take too much at once.

Not that I would know or anything....

^this is true for most aluminum alloys. the primary problem w 7075 is mill life. with 6061 the same hardware will last much longer.

i dont feel like hashing this silly debate all over again yet the 7075 craze is driven by what .mil wanted. nobody can ever point to failures in 6 thousand series alloy. and if one thing is true, the #1 enemy to firearms is corrosion, not physical wear. theres a reason why marine vessels use 6 thousand series aluminum. i suppose if one is going to be putting the lower under some unusual amount of physical stresses then theoretically the tensile strength of 7075 is worth it...i suppose. sorry this 7075 worshipping just never stops and it’s almost always groupthink. lastly it seems unlikely that an unskilled individual without machining knowledge will be able to pick up 7075 alloy and work with it.

Yeah, but that's a 4 month ban, not a permanent one and the argument can be made that vaping needs to be researched more to discover what it is that's causing all the lung issues. NY is intent on a perma ban of 80% lowers.

Of course the next step will be sub 80% lowers for the NY market to work around that ban.

My point was that it's the new normal: Ban it, and see if it sticks. If it does, great! The .gov gets what they want; if not, well, it's no cost to the .gov (but a lot of cost to the people that fought it), and they can tray again, later.

Yes, what I had in mind was using a small dia end mill for the finishing pass. Then one would have to use a file on the corners.
The selling point of the existing 80%structure is that they're relatively forgiving. Small diameter end mills and hand files don't fit that definition. I suppose what I'm trying to figure out is are you willingly getting rid of that characteristic?

If I wanted a feature that could make it sub-80% I'd probably go with the slot for ther bolt catch, or the mag release button pocket

This has to be way outside the scope of their authority. But New York so no liberal judge will overturn this.

Dang. Looking at the prices of 80% lowers, it's just crazy. Now I wish I bought a bagillion stripped lowers for $20-30 years ago. "Who would want more than one AR?" I asked. LOL

When I account for the value of my time (before tooling/jig) I think I am already over the regular market price of a stripped lower in most of the country. Its ridiculous. Sure its like everything you build yourself, except to have the volume to recoup tooling costs you would REALLY have to stack up 80% lowers and then just I guess put them in a pile in the safe cause its not like you can sell them.

Dang. Looking at the prices of 80% lowers, it's just crazy. Now I wish I bought a bagillion stripped lowers for $20-30 years ago. "Who would want more than one AR?" I asked. LOL

You can still buy them for $49, which isn't too bad.

Raw maybe....... But if you can find anodized lowers marked Fire/Safe for $49 please point me in that direction.

For $40-$60 I still think a well machined 80% with fire/safe, cerakote, and a broached well is a great deal nowadays. Buy em up.

Can we please stop this? The thread started with a NY State missive about prohibiting 80% lowers to now people are asking about bans on sales of 7075 AL block. There are other things made out of 7075 AL or any AL blocks. They aren't going to ban commerce in a commodity like aluminum block.

Seriously? Are you not paying attention? These people don't understand basic math or any bit of firearms engineering. What would stop them? Their understanding of the issue isn't anywhere near marginal. What makes you think their laws will be?

They announced the intention to spend taxpayers' money harassing Citizens for legal activity, forcing them to spend their own money to defend themselves, cease and desist or suffer penalties. Part of the "long train of abuses" treatment...

When I account for the value of my time (before tooling/jig) I think I am already over the regular market price of a stripped lower in most of the country. Its ridiculous. Sure its like everything you build yourself, except to have the volume to recoup tooling costs you would REALLY have to stack up 80% lowers and then just I guess put them in a pile in the safe cause its not like you can sell them.

I’d be ok if it cost $ overall but the unfinished is still pricy. It’s tough when the finished lower is $10 more than a 80%. I’m not looking to save a ton of $, but making it SEEM affordable would be nice. Lol

I want to BECAUSE they are thinking of not letting me. I have no use for ANOTHER AR lower.

I’d be ok if it cost $ overall but the unfinished is still pricy. It’s tough when the finished lower is $10 more than a 80%. I’m not looking to save a ton of $, but making it SEEM affordable would be nice. Lol

I want to BECAUSE they are thinking of not letting me. I have no use for ANOTHER AR lower.

Absolutely get it. Similar mindset myself on wanting it because it wrankles people.

I get the micro cost differential because its not like manufacturers buy at 80% and finish them. They just run a slightly longer program. Heck probably cost them a couple bucks more to finish it than to stop at 80%. Throw in fixed logistics cost and material where to save money?

Last edited:
I don’t see how it would be enforceable. “80%” is not a legal definition. BATFE says it is a firearm or it isn’t (which is another problem by itself, but that’s for another topic).

I think people make them from 80% for different reasons. For me, it's like some people like to do woodworking, painting, working in the yard, etc... Building it yourself is relaxing, gratifying, custom one of a kind and you get to really understand the purpose of every component and how they work.

And if you F it up, it's not like it was a "registered" gun in the first place. Came in as a paper weight, goes out as a paper weight (assuming it's so bad you can't recover it).

Why do people think a ban on 80% lowers/frames/kits would be at all quantifiable in MA? It’d be written in an extremely vague way, making all online shops/distributors scared to sell any to MA residents, regardless of technical inaccuracies in the law/AG edict.

Back
Top Bottom