NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

Well don't you worry NY, when I build AR's, I promise to only build AR's that hold 7 rounds.

[rofl]

So I'm gearing up to do my first build of my first AR. I'm guessing that I should do some research on what I can and can't do to stay within the laws of MA.
It’s gotta be a fixed mag plus some extras. Fixed stock, no flash hider (crowned barrel), and then anything else goes. Now if you wanna do a pistol.....that’s a whole other story.

It’s gotta be a fixed mag plus some extras. Fixed stock, no flash hider (crowned barrel), and then anything else goes. Now if you wanna do a pistol.....that’s a whole other story.
Hmm. I was thinking old school with the carry handle, flash suppressor is already on it. Most of what I'm ordering is coming right from this thread.
I just remembered I did an AR build back in '93 with my dad. You could ask him. You can usually find him under the oak tree in Sandisfield Center Cemetery.

Hmm. I was thinking old school with the carry handle, flash suppressor is already on it. Most of what I'm ordering is coming right from this thread.
I just remembered I did an AR build back in '93 with my dad. You could ask him. You can usually find him under the oak tree in Sandisfield Center Cemetery.
God bless the memory of your father.

You could do a rehash of that ‘ol h-bar Colt with the carry handle but you cannot have the flash hider and pistol grip. You could only do the pistol grip if you have a fixed mag and no flash hider. If you pin the flash hider that may suffice.

Last edited:
That's not correct. Assuming you're going by the law and not the AG interpretation, we're constrained to the features test. If you want the AG interpretation, you can only build an AR if it's a 22 or smaller... or something.

The law says you can have a removable mag on a semiauto and any evil feature. This is usually done with a pistol grip, a fixed stock, a pinned/welded muzzle device that is not a flash hider, and the removal of any bayonet lug.

With a fixed mag you can have all the evil features you want because it can't be an "assault weapon" in that configuration. This is the current wallhack that's leading the AR- pistol craze in MA.

The law says you can have a removable mag on a semiauto and any evil feature. This is usually done with a pistol grip, a fixed stock, a pinned/welded muzzle device that is not a flash hider, and the removal of any bayonet lug.
This is news to me. Who in MA is doing that build and is confident to be caught with it around LE? AFAIK any new build post Maura is fixed mag only if you decide to have 2 of the evil features. You can’t have 3 and do a removable mag can you?

This is news to me. Who in MA is doing that build and is confident to be caught with it around LE? AFAIK any new build post Maura is fixed mag only if you decide to have 2 of the evil features. You can’t have 3 and do a removable mag can you?
I read what I wrote again. It should have said "any one feature." In going to blame typing on my phone this time.

Removable mag means you get 1 evil feature. That's the law as written. Historically, this was the pistol grip because it's the most important feature to most buyers. That you can't have a flash hider doesn't mean you can't have anything on the barrel. It means you can't have a threaded end to accept a flash hider. A muzzle brake is not a flash hider; pin and weld that on and you're good to go.

Fixed mag means it can't possibly be an AW.

What a shop is willing to sell is not the same as what's legal. There are a number of reasons that shops might be more conservative about selling things that make the AG unhappy than a single person might be comfortable building for themselves.

How many have you asked? I know of many. Did you do the handshake?
I asked several in MA, and they said basically the same thing. They cannot sell or transfer a frame because eventually it will end up a complete gun using parts that are not regulated???

I dunno, I was told this is illegal. Sounds pretty risky for both sides involved.

I asked several in MA, and they said basically the same thing. They cannot sell or transfer a frame because eventually it will end up a complete gun using parts that are not regulated???

I dunno, I was told this is illegal. Sounds pretty risky for both sides involved.

Those dealers that you happened to speak with were practicing Massprudence to stay off of any radar. OR possibly you look like a Nark [laugh]

There is nothing illegal whatsoever, anywhere with selling an 80% receiver, even in New York, New Jersey and California. I doubt like hell there is any legit law preventing the sale of a 100% receiver, either (in compliance with LTC blah blah blah). What you build with it is on you.

Those dealers that you happened to speak with were practicing Massprudence to stay off of any radar. OR possibly you look like a Nark [laugh]

There is nothing illegal whatsoever, anywhere with selling an 80% receiver, even in New York, New Jersey and California. I doubt like hell there is any legit law preventing the sale of a 100% receiver, either (in compliance with LTC blah blah blah). What you build with it is on you.
The last thing I look like is a Nark........

I never questioned the legality of an 80% lower, just relaying what was told to me by several MA dealers in my area regarding 100% finished frames and lowers. I was told that they could not do it because it was not legal. Maybe you are right in that they did not like my looks, but not because I look like a Narc, but maybe because I look like a 1 percenter.

I never questioned the legality of an 80% lower, just relaying what was told to me by several MA dealers in my area regarding 100% finished frames and lowers. I was told that they could not do it because it was not legal. Maybe you are right in that they did not like my looks, but not because I look like a Narc, but maybe because I look like a 1 percenter.

Not having met you, I was just being a wiseguy. At least one NES member claims I look like a cop, although I don't see it.

I look more like Jackie Chan in Rush Hour.

Stripped frames and receivers are not illegal in MA. Regardless of any AWB interpretations. They are 100% legal, as they are not technically firearms or rifles according to MA law. Now, while I disagree with Healey’s definition of “copy“ and “duplicate”, she straight up invented new law when she said a receiver by itself was an assault weapon. That’s completely fabricated and not even supported by loose interpretations of law.

Dealers not selling receivers are doing so to avoid Healey’s wrath and the destruction of their business. She can shut them down easily and not have judicial scrutiny. But that still doesn’t make the receiver illegal.

Dealers refusing to transfer pistol frames for off-list pistols is another case of ass covering from Healey’s iron fist. Technically 100% legal because they are not firearms according to the state. But some dealers have more risk tolerance than others when it comes to expensive harassment from the AG’s office.

If you looked more like Jackie Chan in Rush Hour,
@minininjer would like you more.

She pretty much hates me now. I scored an eBay deal of 1,000 copies of "Elf" (that Will Farrel Christmas movie) and had them shipped to her. The whole crate was only $50!

Anyway, she says they make dandy coasters for the coffee table so I don't know what the big deal is.

I never questioned the legality of an 80% lower, just relaying what was told to me by several MA dealers in my area regarding 100% finished frames and lowers. I was told that they could not do it because it was not legal.

They will not transfer lowers because they are being extorted with the threat of legal action by the AG, an action that she would lose in court because she cannot make up law, but the dealer would be bankrupt getting there while the AG would just reach into her bottomless pile of taxpayer money -- the same pile she uses to fund frivolous lawsuits against out of state oil companies and the like.

The law that has been in place for decades is still the law, regardless of what she wants to pretend it is.

🐯

Not having met you, I was just being a wiseguy. At least one NES member claims I look like a cop, although I don't see it.

I look more like Jackie Chan in Rush Hour.
No problem, it's just the last thing a gun shop is going to think is that I am a Narc. But you do actually bring up a good point. When I walk into a gun shop with hair down to my ass and dressed the way I do I get some pretty cold vibes. and when I indicate that I want to make a purchase It seems most FFL's are thinking to themselves "I can believe this guy actually has an LTC". [frown]

Stripped frames and receivers are not illegal in MA. Regardless of any AWB interpretations. They are 100% legal, as they are not technically firearms or rifles according to MA law. Now, while I disagree with Healey’s definition of “copy“ and “duplicate”, she straight up invented new law when she said a receiver by itself was an assault weapon. That’s completely fabricated and not even supported by loose interpretations of law.

Dealers not selling receivers are doing so to avoid Healey’s wrath and the destruction of their business. She can shut them down easily and not have judicial scrutiny. But that still doesn’t make the receiver illegal.

Dealers refusing to transfer pistol frames for off-list pistols is another case of ass covering from Healey’s iron fist. Technically 100% legal because they are not firearms according to the state. But some dealers have more risk tolerance than others when it comes to expensive harassment from the AG’s office.
I understand, but like I was suggesting to namepipes maybe my appearance actually hurts me when I want to do a deal like this. An FFL with a high risk tolarance may take one look at me and figure this deal may exceed his risk tolerance.

They will not transfer lowers because they are being extorted with the threat of legal action by the AG, an action that she would lose in court because she cannot make up law, but the dealer would be bankrupt getting there while the AG would just reach into her bottomless pile of taxpayer money -- the same pile she uses to fund frivolous lawsuits against out of state oil companies and the like.

The law that has been in place for decades is still the law, regardless of what she wants to pretend it is.

🐯
I understand. I guess there are some FFL's that will sell/transfer certain things that others will not, just not to somebody that looks like me.

She pretty much hates me now. I scored an eBay deal of 1,000 copies of "Elf" (that Will Farrel Christmas movie) and had them shipped to her. The whole crate was only $50!

Anyway, she says they make dandy coasters for the coffee table so I don't know what the big deal is.
Jewel cases or the actual discs?
Maybe she's getting migraines from the purty diffraction colors or something.

IMG_20191102_162334.jpg
My first 80% lower came in the mail today. I was on the roof and the wife had to sign for it. "you bought another gun? you said you can't buy guns through the mail! " shouts the ever so lovely Mrs. Fritz.
"It's not a gun, my love. It's an accessory."
I have other parts arriving over the next week or so. I'll be starting the build soon. Look for my pics over at the DIY thread.

View attachment 310539
My first 80% lower came in the mail today. I was on the roof and the wife had to sign for it. "you bought another gun? you said you can't buy guns through the mail! " shouts the ever so lovely Mrs. Fritz.
"It's not a gun, my love. It's an accessory."
I have other parts arriving over the next week or so. I'll be starting the build soon. Look for my pics over at the DIY thread.
My first one the other day was quite fun. Looking forward to a few more!

Always wanted to do an 80% AR. Do Ineed a jig if I have access to an end mill and good machinist?
Just remember the machinist cannot give you ANY help (legally) unless you are an 07. That and the mantras of "do it once, do it alone, don't talk about it" or alternatively "two men can keep a secret if one of them is dead" come to mind.

Back
Top Bottom