• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

On the local NPR station I heard a segment about 'gun kit's. Apparently they can be ordered online without a license, don't require registration, and allow people to build untraceable guns. Amazing! Where do I sign up? LOL, the usual misinformed crap. Don't know if they were referring to an 80% receiver or the kits that are sold without a receiver. Maybe lumping it all together.

While they're at it they should ban metal and/or reinforced polymer, and rotational motion- cuz you can't build a ghost gun without those.

Two things in that article that stood out to me. First, they mention assault rifles and lower receivers but nothing about pistol frames. So some P80 offerings are NY compliant and some are not?

The second and most disturbing thing is the requirement to keep records of all sales. If these companies have been keeping records up till now, all the people that have purchased these in the past could be in deep s*#t. And I am not just talking about people in NY.

ATF is dropping federal cases regarding 80% lowers due to a fear the cases could overturn existing laws. These states will walk it back likewise when they are about to lose.

https://armsandthelaw.com/Roh, Ruling on AR-15 receivers.pdf

Feds to drop weapons charges to protect gun control efforts, sources say - CNN

That article (the cnn fantasy version) has the typical anti-gun slant baked into the story.

Their version reads differently than the real ruling. Another example of media putting their thumb on the scale to shift the truth.

Some politicians may perceive 80% lowers as an issue that can energized their base, but misplaced hype has lead them into an issue they do not understand.

80% lowers are not a gimmick worked out between firearms manufacturers and the ATF. They exist because it is necessary to have a legal definition that differentiates between a lump of aluminum and a firearm, or between and AK47 and a shovel.

If 80% lowers are illegal, then there will be 75% lowers. And if the bar goes a little lower than that, then the plumbing department at Home Depot will be full of precursor firearms. You would think that definitions are central to the business of lawyers, and that they would think carefully before making changes in these areas, but apparently not.

I second the jig by 5D Tactical. I have used one. Go to their web site. Get the recommended router. The Dewalt is easy to adjust.

You can complete a lower in about a half hour. With this jig there is NO way to mess it up unless you try to go faster than you should.

RC

I second the jig by 5D Tactical. I have used one. Go to their web site. Get the recommended router. The Dewalt is easy to adjust.

You can complete a lower in about a half hour. With this jig there is NO way to mess it up unless you try to go faster than you should.

I just watched their instructional video. Holy crap - even the very clumsy SpaceCritter can't f*** it up. And I even have their recommended Dewalt router already!

5D is based in MA. the owner Andy is very friendly and knowledgeable. in terms of jigs and hardware, his design is so superior that the competitors have copied him (and are being sued). There are multiple reasons to give him the business.

the lowers themselves one can procure from many sources. if youre new then stick with 6061. 7075 is not easy to cut. further 6061 is more corrosion resistant its actually a great alloy.

Back
Top Bottom