NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

On the local NPR station I heard a segment about 'gun kit's. Apparently they can be ordered online without a license, don't require registration, and allow people to build untraceable guns. Amazing! Where do I sign up? LOL, the usual misinformed crap. Don't know if they were referring to an 80% receiver or the kits that are sold without a receiver. Maybe lumping it all together.
Or they just made it up out of whole cloth. That’s an acceptable source for the media for a good portion of “Americans”.

Honestly - how much harder is it to mill 7075 vs 6061? There are a billion 7075's out there and very few 6061's.

I had forgotten that I have to do all the work. That's OK in my case because the mill and competent machinist I have "access" to are my son's mill in my garage and my son who's 2hrs away at college. I'm comfortable with a lathe but don't feel comfortable enough with a mill to use his baby (yet). He's been bugging me to start using his mill and quit doing everything with my 3D printer.
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."[laugh]
If you can turn handles on a lathe, you can run the mill.
Nothing says you can't grab a piece of 2x pine stock and mill it like an 80% for practice.

Different levels of gummy - a little isopropyl alcohol for cutting fluid and both behave decently (on my benchtop machines)

The “Smart Straw” is your friend...

TucItF1_d.jpg

:emoji_tiger:

Honestly, I think they're almost exactly the same. The 80% Arms Easy Jig Gen 2 is fantastic and stupid easy to use.

perhaps you could honestly elaborate on this. 80% arms are overpriced scammers. their design is a direct, yet inferior, ripoff of 5D.

perhaps you could honestly elaborate on this. 80% arms are overpriced scammers. their design is a direct, yet inferior, ripoff of 5D.
You obviously prefer the 5D setup but to call 80% Arms “overpriced scammers” is a bit over the top, I know quite a few people that have been very happy with their offerings and their customer service.

It works and is solidly built. Maybe you should elaborate how the design is inferior, because they look to be very much the same to me. Could it be a ripoff? Sure. Is it overpriced? Yeah, but things are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it, and clearly people are willing to pay for it.

Full disclosure, I have a couple of lowers/uppers and assorted parts to eventually build, but I haven't had much exposure to AR platform other than shooting other people's rifles.

That said, isn't one lower pretty much the same as the next, assuming it is built to mil-spec? What differentiates one from another? In the critical dimensions they should all be identical. The rest is cosmetic, ainit?

That said, isn't one lower pretty much the same as the next, assuming it is built to mil-spec? What differentiates one from another? In the critical dimensions they should all be identical. The rest is cosmetic, ainit?

To a degree. Some companies are more consistent and others will have issues with being on one end or the other of the tolerances and may have problems working with other companies' parts. So their uppers may attach fine to their lowers, but try a different upper and you may have to fight to get it on. I have seen a buffer tube that worked perfectly on three other lowers not fit into a fourth until someone chase the threads out. Have also heard of people having trouble with high end triggers but the basic lower parts kit trigger worked. So, while they may be in spec, they can be enough to one end or the other that you may have issues with some specific parts that you hoped to use. Or, everything might be fine.

Not sure about the 79% lowers, but here's a 0% at a reasonable price:

0% Billet AR-15 Lower Receiver

View attachment 309356

I wonder how they calculate percentage. 0% to me would be raw ore in the ground. By the time you get it into a cute little brick, it is already well on its way beyond 0%.

Even an aluminum can is beyond 0%. It is way easier to melt those into a receiver than it is to mine the ore first.

I guess what I am trying to say is all forms of aluminum (or other metal) are a certain percentage of the way towards being an evil gun. Be afraid lefties! Ban all metal beyond 0%

I wonder how they calculate percentage. 0% to me would be raw ore in the ground. By the time you get it into a cute little brick, it is already well on its way beyond 0%.

Even an aluminum can is beyond 0%. It is way easier to melt those into a receiver than it is to mine the ore first.

I guess what I am trying to say is all forms of aluminum (or other metal) are a certain percentage of the way towards being an evil gun. Be afraid lefties! Ban all metal beyond 0%

probably have to ban the sun, because that’s where that bad metal was made.

but seriously, the ATF didn’t assign 80%, it’s marketing jazz.

Metal that the ATF has determined not to be a firearm in its present state but may be altered through casting or machining and become a firearm as defined by the ATF shall be illegal to possess in the State of New York.

All metal in any form fits that definition. So, they just banned everything.

Back
Top Bottom