• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NY attorney General bans the sale of 80% lowers

Don’t forget - I put my old Modulus Gen 1 jig on the Karma side quite some time ago - hoping it’s still making the rounds.

The 5D is much better, and getting the full kit you can turn out every variant of AR.

On the local NPR station I heard a segment about 'gun kit's. Apparently they can be ordered online without a license, don't require registration, and allow people to build untraceable guns. Amazing! Where do I sign up? LOL, the usual misinformed crap. Don't know if they were referring to an 80% receiver or the kits that are sold without a receiver. Maybe lumping it all together.

While they're at it they should ban metal and/or reinforced polymer, and rotational motion- cuz you can't build a ghost gun without those.

Front page article in today’s “Glob” is similar - if I was conspiracy minded I might suspect orchestration ... Wait-a-Minute... I am. It is.

Tldr version: felon illegally possesses parts (or pistol, I have ptsd from the stupid of it and blanked it) so shock and horror is expressed. Polymer80 is castigated. Linsky and Decker are lionized. No mention is made of the fact that this shit is already illegal, never mind felon-boy. Included a nicely posed, arty, photo of an ATF agent holding a pair of alleged “ghost guns” in silhouette. Takeaway is “we need to do moar; we needs moar lawzes,” not “criminals gonna crime.”
Dammit. Now I need to double down on antacids and scotch to recover

R

It the maker doesn't drill out the rear triggerguard holes it's definitely 79% or less.
It wouldn't surprise me if they wrote a law banning an item, if the intent of that item was to have it eventually become a semi auto lower.

On the local NPR station I heard a segment about 'gun kit's. Apparently they can be ordered online without a license, don't require registration, and allow people to build untraceable guns. Amazing! Where do I sign up? LOL, the usual misinformed crap. Don't know if they were referring to an 80% receiver or the kits that are sold without a receiver. Maybe lumping it all together.

While they're at it they should ban metal and/or reinforced polymer, and rotational motion- cuz you can't build a ghost gun without those.
I hear you can buy illegal drugs too! Maybe they should ban that too!

It wouldn't surprise me if they wrote a law banning an item, if the intent of that item was to have it eventually become a semi auto lower.

I thought we were not supposed to make assumptions about what a chunk of matter self identifies as. Maybe it is transitioning to a lower, or maybe it is transitioning to a paper weight. Who am I to decide?

Some politicians may perceive 80% lowers as an issue that can energized their base, but misplaced hype has lead them into an issue they do not understand.

80% lowers are not a gimmick worked out between firearms manufacturers and the ATF. They exist because it is necessary to have a legal definition that differentiates between a lump of aluminum and a firearm, or between and AK47 and a shovel.

If 80% lowers are illegal, then there will be 75% lowers. And if the bar goes a little lower than that, then the plumbing department at Home Depot will be full of precursor firearms. You would think that definitions are central to the business of lawyers, and that they would think carefully before making changes in these areas, but apparently not.
I knew this was coming. They can stop some, but not all. I have a mill that I could make anything I want to on. Just go on YouTube and find the video of the guy that melted down range brass and made a brass AR10 receiver. He has also made others from bullet aluminium blocks. I am planning on making a lower reciever for an AR upper that will not even look like an AR15. It will have aluminium guts, be mag fed and semi auto, and probably have a mauser stock. Let them put that in their pipe and smoke it. I have enough AR's, I don't know what I would do with any more.

Intent of the seller or the buyer?
Intent of the Law makers.

Look what they are doing to Trump. Trump ran on a platform of drain the swamp [ crack down on Government corruption]. He calls Ukraine and asks them to investigate some obvious corruption from the previous administration, and Congress claims his intent was to side track his political opponent.

Were Go Time to come, methinks far more mayhem - and far more fatal - would be committed with
iu

than
iu

and those subjected to the former would probably wish they had been subjected to the latter, as their (eventual) deaths would likely be protracted.

Dumb question: Will they also ban the sale of blocks of 7075 AL? With a CNC and some software, I can make a lower out of almost anything...

Dumb question: Will they also ban the sale of blocks of 7075 AL? With a CNC and some software, I can make a lower out of almost anything...
I seriously doubt that would ever happen. It would be too far reaching even for them. Mostly because those ass clowns don't know what they are talking about in the first place. Machine away! Ha ha ha!

I seriously doubt that would ever happen. It would be too far reaching even for them. Mostly because those ass clowns don't know what they are talking about in the first place. Machine away! Ha ha ha!

I wouldn’t put it past them. Linsky and Decker don’t even know what laws are already on the books, but that doesn’t stop them for introducing more asshatery each session.

Can we please stop this? The thread started with a NY State missive about prohibiting 80% lowers to now people are asking about bans on sales of 7075 AL block. There are other things made out of 7075 AL or any AL blocks. They aren't going to ban commerce in a commodity like aluminum block.

Wouldn't having a stripped lower be just as good as a 80%? When purchased only via a 4473 the state of MA doesnt know you have it and the feds dont give a shit as long as you clear their 4473 background check.

No need to fa10 a built lower until the 8th days after it becomes a firearm (married to an upper). If it never gets married to an upper it never needs to be fa10 as it isnt firearm.

Am I wrong to think this way?

Wouldn't having a stripped lower be just as good as a 80%? When purchased only via a 4473 the state of MA doesnt know you have it and the feds dont give a shit as long as you clear their 4473 background check.

No need to fa10 a built lower until the 8th days after it becomes a firearm (married to an upper). If it never gets married to an upper it never needs to be fa10 as it isnt firearm.

Am I wrong to think this way?

Well the 4473 is still a record, supposedly one that stays at the shop, but we know that isn't really true.

I once bought a gun and a while later got contacted by the shop that the ATF found a paperwork error while looking over the 4473's. I had to go in and fix it. So, they were looking over the 4473's for sure.

I see you point I suppose but a stripped ar15 lower is a simply piece of fancy aluminum in ma. Not a firearm. I see MA banning 80% lowers before a stripped ar15 lower.

No - I made my own side plates to hold the lower and mill them on a manual Seig X-1 micro mill (tiny benchtop mill with no DROs)
I had forgotten that I have to do all the work. That's OK in my case because the mill and competent machinist I have "access" to are my son's mill in my garage and my son who's 2hrs away at college. I'm comfortable with a lathe but don't feel comfortable enough with a mill to use his baby (yet). He's been bugging me to start using his mill and quit doing everything with my 3D printer.
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."[laugh]

NY is digging themselves and other Anti's deeper in the hole, there's no way 80% lowers (which are not firearms) can be legally banned from being sold or possessed. Even with these things not being firearms, it violates, IMO, the commerce clause and the 9th Amendment.

The best news from this is that the more NY pulls this kind of crap, the better the chances are they get overturned by SCOTUS, especially with the NYS pistol and rifle case coming up that will be a landmark decision. IMO tho, 80% lower laws, rate of fire increasing devices (binary triggers, bump stocks) aren't even tied to the 2nd Amendment as they're are simply parts, not guns.

It's like, if there were fancy disc brake rotors that had giant holes in them that looked really cool and got cheap slut c***s dripping, but they were garbage at slowing a car down because there's so little bearing surface for the pads to make contact with the rotors, I'm still not sure those parts can be outright banned from sale, just banned from being installed on registered motor vehicles that drive on public roads.

No big deal. Sell a 75% lower.

Keep lowering the percentage until they make selling an aluminum block illegal.

NY is digging themselves and other Anti's deeper in the hole, there's no way 80% lowers (which are not firearms) can be legally banned from being sold or possessed. Even with these things not being firearms, it violates, IMO, the commerce clause and the 9th Amendment.

The best news from this is that the more NY pulls this kind of crap, the better the chances are they get overturned by SCOTUS, especially with the NYS pistol and rifle case coming up that will be a landmark decision. IMO tho, 80% lower laws, rate of fire increasing devices (binary triggers, bump stocks) aren't even tied to the 2nd Amendment as they're are simply parts, not guns.

It's like, if there were fancy disc brake rotors that had giant holes in them that looked really cool and got cheap slut c***s dripping, but they were garbage at slowing a car down because there's so little bearing surface for the pads to make contact with the rotors, I'm still not sure those parts can be outright banned from sale, just banned from being installed on registered motor vehicles that drive on public roads.

I live in the DPRM, and want to buy me some Juul pods....can you tell me where I can find a store?

A legal item, banned by fiat. Hmmmm.....

actually, I don't vape. I was just making a point. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom