New Keltec KSG 12 Gauge bullpup pump gun (14+1)

Ever try using any bullpup from the other shoulder? Think you always get to choose which side of cover you will have to fire around? Want to expose your entire torso in order to fire? that's what fiing RH around the left side of cover forces you to do.

psst. this ejects down from the botom of the stock. i.e. ambidextrous.

and their .308 rifle pushes the shells out the front.
I'm a lefty, I notice this stuff.

Hell, the Kushnapup project had an idea:

photo2.jpg

I can't believe there hasn't been one reputable company to come up with this mod for Saiga 12s. Is it because the JBTs would be kicking in the door as the design went to production?!

MD Arms has been doing something like that for a couple of years.

Here's a modded Saiga with a 20 round drum:
cimg2777h.jpg

Much handier than the standard hi cap mags for the saiga. Here's the same gun with a 10 or 12 rd stick mag:
cimg2560.jpg

ahh. Its funny, the saiga seems to be developing along 2 lines

1) guys who use it in 3 gun competition. magwells, left side bolt handles, cools stuff.
2) then there are the guys who are more "tacticool", like the pics I posted. They just want as many rounds as possible.

I would love to show up at a trap or skeet field and try that gun......Its a cool looking gun for sure

the poster was sks ray. the kushnap was the gun.

It looks like we'll get to see what is going to happen. Check this out: http://www.kushnapup.com/

It's been "Real soon now" for a pretty long time. Kushnapup (the company) has been talking, but aftermarket Saiga products have a history of being vaporware, so they're going to have a hard time getting enough pre-orders to bankroll production.

I'm assuming that when Ray said
Hell, the Kushnapup project had an idea:

He was referring to the bullpup mod, not the drum.

Last edited:
Looks like walkit wont be coming down for breakfast.

Ever try using any bullpup from the other shoulder? Think you always get to choose which side of cover you will have to fire around? Want to expose your entire torso in order to fire? that's what fiing RH around the left side of cover forces you to do.

Lol. They should call it the BFG, now that would be awesome. I just got to look at the pics on a PC screen vs the phone. Looks much better than I could tell on the droid screen. Can't wait to see some firsthand info.

I think it looks kind of like a mini, upside down BFG9000, so I think I need one.

bfg_doom_movie.jpg

This thing seems cool, but like someone else mentioned, that's a big boom going off under your cheek.
you think this will be legal in MA?

it seems too evil looking for Mass.

Why wouldn't it be? It's just a pump shotgun with a 14 round tube.
because this is Massachusetts. Where you cant have folding stocks for rifles, but you can have them for pump shotguns. where you can hunt a coyote with a .50 cal rifle, but cant use a rifled slug except during deer season...
Perhaps I'm missing the point, but it seems to me the problem has nothing to do with the bbl length or capacity, but the overall length of the gun itself:
“Shotgun”, a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.
MGL 140/121

That's a problem because if the gun doesn't fall into the "shotgun" category, it get's lumped in under the catch-all group of "firearm", which by and large usually refers to pistols.

Now I could be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty sure that being placed in the "firearms" category allows EOPSS and the AG to have final word on the sale just as they would any other pistol that they deem not "MA Compliant". So therein lies the problem...Queen Marsha ain't approvinng this thing if her life depended on it...

Last edited:
This thing seems cool, but like someone else mentioned, that's a big boom going off under your cheek.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but it seems to me the problem has nothing to do with the bbl length or capacity, but the overall length of the gun itself:MGL 140/121
That's a problem because if the gun doesn't fall into the "shotgun" category, it get's lumped in under the catch-all group of "firearm", which by and large usually refers to pistols.

Now I could be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty sure that being placed in the "firearms" category allows EOPSS and the AG to have final word on the sale just as they would any other pistol that they deem not "MA Compliant". So therein lies the problem...Queen Marsha ain't approvinng this thing if her life depended on it...

OAL is 26.1", they say.

if this thing goes into production and its MA legal how about a group buy?

hopefully you can change chokes on this, would be a fun hunting gun.

It won't, because if it was a "firearm" in MA it would also be a federal SBS, and that, it is not. With the feds this is intended as a Title I shotgun. Which means that in MA, it's legally no different than a typical Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series pump gun that has a barrel set at the legal minimum length to not be an SBS.

-Mike

if this thing goes into production and its MA legal how about a group buy?

Oh good grief. [rolleyes] The Bennelli Super Nova's just came in and that buy closed in August. [thinking]

Oh well, if we get the payment thread going I suppose we can get them in by Thanksgiving !
dontknow.gif

Let's do one for the free state folks either way way. [laugh]

Kel Tec makes some neat stuff and they do have some very innovative designs, but lets face it, they fall a little flat in the quality category.

While this new shotgun design looks like it'd be great to have, I'll wait and see how they perform after people have run several hundred rounds through them. Unless of course they come out and are in danger of being banned, then I'll have to buy one just because.

Kel Tec makes some neat stuff and they do have some very innovative designs, but lets face it, they fall a little flat in the quality category.

While this new shotgun design looks like it'd be great to have, I'll wait and see how they perform after people have run several hundred rounds through them. Unless of course they come out and are in danger of being banned, then I'll have to buy one just because.

The RFB, an already released product, has raised the bar for them. I've fondled it but not shot it. It feels nice. Definitely a cut above they typical P3AT. Its also been getting rave reviews.

This is more along those lines than a typical cheapie.,

Don

p.s. but then again, the p3AT was special when it came out. It was the size of a seecamp 32 and 30% lighter. It wasn't made nearly as well, but it worked fine. . . or it didn't . If it didn't , Kel tec made it right with their ultimate customer service. So even their cheap stuff is a great value.

Last edited:
Many companies start off the way Kel-Tec has - making cheaper products and then moving upstream. The RFB - from everything I have read - is reasonably reliable. As a .308 bullpup though - I don't think it has quite the "draw" that this bullpup shotgun has. I can see this shotgun having massive interest from civilian shooters, home defense'rs, the LEO market, maybe even military.

If they start getting that kind of interest - especially LEO and military - then they will HAVE TO up their quality. If they want to grow the company they will have to deal with all the issues of growing in size - and upping their quality. If they don't - they may crash and burn. If you like working at an entepreneurial Co. - Kel-Tec would probably be a great place to be working going forward.

A couple of thoughts on KelTec the company and the quality of their stuff.

They've always been fairly innovative. The stuff they bring to market at the pricepoint they sell it at is pretty forward thinking.
They have made all their firearms on 100% CNC machinery since the company began. Thats part of how they keep the prices low.
They use concurrent engineering practices so that the producability of a product is part of the design criteria.

I also remember reading a quote from one of the founders that said something to the effect of "of course we could make more finely finished products, but thats not the market we choose to be it"

Which leads to "how do you define quality".

Is it fine finish machining, or is it purely function?
I would bet that they could get their functional reliability up to military standards by simply improving their QA and QC and making some minor material improvements in certain areas.

I have a cheapie Sub 2000 in 9mm. I use it as a backup to a semi-auto mp5 when I do little local pistol caliber carbine matches.
Here's the crazy part, its more reliable than the MP5 and its more accurate. But some stuff is clearly compromised to meet a price point.

The gun retails for about $280. If instead they charged the princely sum of $350, you could eliminate all of its weaknesses. It would be an interesting approach.

Don

Back
Top Bottom