• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Machine Gun License

I've always wanted one but have never even applied. I can't really afford a full auto firearm so the license hasn't ever become a priority.

I go back and forth about applying for the license but doubt I will. My wife is dead against it and spending $15,000 on a gun is difficult to justify to her. Otherwise, I would love to get one.

Nah, you need to get his model of the GE minigun. Complete with the "Preditor" backpack so you too can dress up like Jesse Ventura and lay waste to an entire hillside.

click image to go to page

FWIW, ive been shot with that exact airsoft gun....not something i ever want to happen again. A billion pieces of 6mm plastic hitting you at 400+ fps is brutal...like being stung by an enormous swarm of bees.

I go back and forth about applying for the license but doubt I will. My wife is dead against it and spending $15,000 on a gun is difficult to justify to her. Otherwise, I would love to get one.

Not every MG is 15K, but I agree the prices are getting pretty
absurd. Even the POS Mac-11s are going up in price because of the
new LAGE slowfire upper conversions and so on.

And everything else is mostly 10K+, and seems to be going up by the
minute. Too much $$$$ for my blood any way you can slice
it. The price of ammo being off the wall doesn't help either, although
reloading can help with that quite a bit.

I'd rather take the money and use it to move myself out of MA... what I
really want is some cans, which you can't own in MA anyways unless you
are a fed manufacturer.

-Mike

If someone has a machine gun license in mass do they still need to follow all those rules like no mags over 10 rounds and no assault weapon features?
and can they get new machine guns?

If someone has a machine gun license in mass do they still need to follow all those rules like no mags over 10 rounds and no assault weapon features?
and can they get new machine guns?

Id like to know this as well. Only one person I know has their MA Machine gun license and the only machine gun they own is a .45 reising, which is relatively cheap compared to most other machine guns

AWB still applies and you need to get one of the "transferable" autos which are pre 86 if im correct?
Yes and yes. AWB still applies. All transferable guns are pre-FOPA (1986). There are other categories for dealers/SOT only, but with an MG card, you are limited to transferable and the AWB definitely still applies.

Just curious as to how many of my fellow MA residents have successfully applied and were issued a MA Machine Gun License.

I have one for the last 8 years. Plympton is a Green town [wink]. And Nicole has had hers for a couple of years also.

Think of it as an investment that will never loose money. Even if the firearm was destroyed except for receiver, it would be worth the same $. MG's don't loose money as they are not making anymore transferable ones.

AWB still applies and you need to get one of the "transferable" autos which are pre 86 if im correct?

Yes and transferable MG's are ones made before May '86

...Think of it as an investment that will never loose money. Even if the firearm was destroyed except for receiver, it would be worth the same $. MG's don't loose money as they are not making anymore transferable ones....

I don't entirely agree. There's always that possibility that the the Hughes Amendment will be repealed. That would open up the market and pretty much deflate the value of much of the existing stock.

Granted. This is not likely to happen anytime soon, if at all, but it's not completely out of the question either.

Just curious as to how many of my fellow MA residents have successfully applied and were issued a MA Machine Gun License.
Can't remember when I got my first MG license. Can't remember much of anything anymore! Maybe 35-40 yrs ago when they were pretty much issued "on request" in the 'burbs. Anyway, I'd advise anyone who can to get one "just in case". The laws will probably just get worse. Also, the license makes a great picture ID at the airport. Jack.

I don't entirely agree. There's always that possibility that the the Hughes Amendment will be repealed. That would open up the market and pretty much deflate the value of much of the existing stock.

Granted. This is not likely to happen anytime soon, if at all, but it's not completely out of the question either.

I know of many MG owners that would welcome the loss in value for this to happen. I agree it's not out of the question, but highly unlikely to happen in my lifetime.

MA MG License

Well, I can just state my experiences..... I lived in MA for 24 years, and am now a NH resident.
When I got my first LTC in MA (around 1991), it took 8 months and $800 to get it, and that was just for the 'Target' LTC....
I looked into MG licensing in MA, and basically every gun shop and person I knew who was into shooting said "forget it, unless you want to take the legal route, and even then you will lose". I do know it varies by town/city.
I know a few people in MA who do have MG's, but I am not sure how they got them.
Up here in NH, you can basically buy whatever you want (obviously with all the ATF and NFA rules)...
When I got my first MG transfer in NH, the chief of police said "I don't care what you buy" ;-) I will never be able to relocate to MA (not that I ever would want to), unless I keep a storage facility for the safes up in NH.

My recommendation is to save up a few $$ and relocate to a state besides MA....

As previous posters indicated, MG's are not cheap, and to feed them is really not cheap...
I currently run an MP5, M60 and a Ma-Deuce... you can easily spend thousands of dollars on ammo (even if you reload yourself). But it IS a lot of fun ;-)

There's nothing wrong with a Reising, at least as a fun range gun. I'm not planning an amphibious assault on the Solomon Islands. :)
You clearly lack ambition. [laugh]

No1herenow, it does vary wildly by town... even more so than LTCs. ... and yes, getting them is half the problem, feeding them is like sending twins to college.[crying] (but worth every tear... [smile])

feeding them is like sending twins to college.[crying] (but worth every tear... [smile])

Did you say Twins? [smile]

P9110045.jpg

I've told my wife several times that when its mid-life crisis time I'm not buying a Corvette or something similar. I'm buying Browning M2.

That's like sending Twins to Harvard Med school - [wink]

It's a labor of love though... As my wife just said to me as I dropped another few hundred shells in the hopper for their evening scrub - "Time to make the bullets..." (in the Dunkin Donuts voice). [laugh]

Good humor your wife has sir.

Back
Top Bottom