• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

Any untruth in that statement ?
Ermagod I had to open my wallet and show someone a card in a state where the government would close his business over a nasty fart in his store.!!!
The PTSD will stay with me till my dying day !!!
I already stated my point. If you dont like it thats fine but I stand by what i said.

What they're doing offers zero protection. Unless you know something rhe rest of us don't. If you do please share.
Is there a law on the books that says you have to show a car dealer your drivers licence before you take a car for a test drive or is it their policy ?
Next time you do, tell them to pound sand you don't have to and I'm taking this car for a drive .

Again , it's sad that people with nothing to lose love to shit on people with everything to lose.
These people should hang it all out and open a gun store ad show us how it should be done.

Is there a law on the books that says you have to show a car dealer your drivers licence before you take a car for a test drive or is it their policy ?
Next time you do, tell them to pound sand you don't have to and I'm taking this car for a drive .

Again , it's sad that people with nothing to lose love to shit on people with everything to lose.
These people should hang it all out and open a gun store ad show us how it should be done.
I do tell the car dealer to pound sand. My son was 15 when we went to a dealership and the salesman asked for my license. I turned to my son and said 'do you know hy he wants my license?' My son without missing a beat said 'yeah, so we can't leave'.
Also, the notion that people can't criticize a business unless they are willing to establish a business is pure bullshit. Are we allowed to criticize a politician without having to run for office?
I'm still waiting to learn what protections the store gains by asking for an LTC.

I do tell the car dealer to pound sand. My son was 15 when we went to a dealership and the salesman asked for my license. I turned to my son and said 'do you know hy he wants my license?' My son without missing a beat said 'yeah, so we can't leave'.
Also, the notion that people can't criticize a business unless they are willing to establish a business is pure bullshit. Are we allowed to criticize a politician without having to run for office?
I'm still waiting to learn what protections the store gains by asking for an LTC.
See post #172.
Did you get the test drive btw ?

[
But it HIS policy , HIS business and HIS livelyhood.
When I had my FFL I would have enjoyed someone trying to tell me how THEY though I should be running it just to have the pleasure of telling them to GFYS.
Like you said , go somewhere else if you don't like it . One less overly sensitive PITA that I have to deal with .
I can’t imagine why you are no longer an FFL. You are such a people person!

See post #172.
Did you get the test drive btw ?
Post 172 the PP logic is nonsense and a fantasy. They aren't required to do background checks on customers until they attempt to purchase. Every firearm training school would be shut down by now if this were a legit problem. When Joe Felon gets denied the licensing officer could march right down to the school and put them in cuffs.
Also - I bought the car about 3 weeks later when they brought the price down.

I've noticed on here that some people are extremely generous with what someone else's business should or shouldn't do to protect themselves..
Nice not to have any skin in the game.

I've worked for 2 different people that had skin in the game. The better majority of shops arent this retarded. Even the risk
averse ones. (the first shop I worked for was VERY risk averse, btw, moreso than even FS. )

It doesn't protect them from shit, it makes them feel good. At least lets be intellectually honest about it. [rofl]

And that is a perfectly valid reason to do something as a business owner, that's your right, but that right doesn't magically make it
not stupid, or make it not potentially something that drives customers off.

I’m assuming you’re in MA. I thought you did need a license to be in possession of a firearm, no?

Yes, but not to touch a gun when a person with an LTC is handing it to you under their supervision. It's specifically allowed in the law.

If you make some sort of carrier that fits a pistol and strap it to your dog, is the dog violating any laws?

And... and... and... can't I get around needing an LTC if I carry a Remington Model 1875? Because it's an antique!

Tough to IWB, though.

Probably not.....but every dealer i've been to just makes a copy of it and hands it back to you before you go on the drive.

I'd assume that if you let someone test drive a car that didn't have a drivers license and they cracked the car up....their insurance wouldn't pay. Or worse.....some guy off the street just drives away with the car and you took no ID? Hows that gonna roll with the dealers insurance company.

If I was a dealer I would certainly take a copy of the license/ID. WTF.

If your talking about some dealer that holds your license hostage and won't let you leave....you immediately leave and don't do business with. Because.....how do you drive a car without your drivers license in possession???? That's illegal as far as I know.

I think there should be a NES law
Any rant ot complaint on a LGS must start with name of LGS and pictures or it did not happen
Great Idea. Let Darwin rules apply for gun shops. Those that do not clutch pearls over imaginary laws will get more business and become more prosperous.

Customer: There is no risk to the transaction I am asking you to process

Shopkeep: I don't feel comfortable and I see some risk

Customer: I tell you there is no risk. I know this stuff. Read the law.

Shopkeep: Fine, I'll transfer the post-ban Flobert pedestal rifle if you sign a contract agreeing to pay my legal fees if the AG decides to prosecute or threaten to prosecute me for the transfer. That should be not a problem since you know this stuff and understand there is no risk.

Customer: No thanks. I'm not taking the risk

Post 172 the PP logic is nonsense and a fantasy. They aren't required to do background checks on customers until they attempt to purchase. Every firearm training school would be shut down by now if this were a legit problem. When Joe Felon gets denied the licensing officer could march right down to the school and put them in cuffs.
Also - I bought the car about 3 weeks later when they brought the price down.
It's not fantasy .
Stuff like that has happened .
In a gun friendly state the dealer might be alright.
How do you see it going here ?
Be honest.

I've worked for 2 different people that had skin in the game. The better majority of shops arent this retarded. Even the risk
averse ones. (the first shop I worked for was VERY risk averse, btw, moreso than even FS. )

It doesn't protect them from shit, it makes them feel good. At least lets be intellectually honest about it. [rofl]

And that is a perfectly valid reason to do something as a business owner, that's your right, but that right doesn't magically make it
not stupid, or make it not potentially something that drives customers off.
Who but all the most Karen of Karen's is it going to drive off ?
I've been asked to show mine and it was "Sure here you go."
Business was transacted and I wasn't home that night in the fetal position feeling violated.

Probably not.....but every dealer i've been to just makes a copy of it and hands it back to you before you go on the drive.

I'd assume that if you let someone test drive a car that didn't have a drivers license and they cracked the car up....their insurance wouldn't pay. Or worse.....some guy off the street just drives away with the car and you took no ID? Hows that gonna roll with the dealers insurance company.

If I was a dealer I would certainly take a copy of the license/ID. WTF.

If your talking about some dealer that holds your license hostage and won't let you leave....you immediately leave and don't do business with. Because.....how do you drive a car without your drivers license in possession???? That's illegal as far as I know.
Well here that won't fly .
They have no right to protect their business as they see fit BOYCOTT!!

Back
Top Bottom