• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun shops and “can I see your license?”

So after reading this thread its clear that many on here think that every time a gun shop in MA gets a 'denial' they have broken the law.

Yes, it's a stupid policy. But, do you think the shop in question, or any other shop that does things like that, is doing it because they WANT to?
OR, do you think their insurance company and/or lawyer told them they need to do that? Especially in MA where I'm sure they are just a small incident away from being shut down.
My money is on the insurance company/lawyers.

Many shops i have been to do this. My feelings nor my ego was harmed in the 15 seconds it took me to show them my LTC and go about my day. I went into their place of business. If that makes them feel better I have no issues since its not a big deal at all. If I did think it was a big deal I would simply leave and not feel compelled to come on the internet to blast the person. But this is 2024, we have to keep finding things to complain about.

Many shops i have been to do this. My feelings nor my ego was harmed in the 15 seconds it took me to show them my LTC and go about my day. I went into their place of business. If that makes them feel better I have no issues since its not a big deal at all. If I did think it was a big deal I would simply leave and not feel compelled to come on the internet to blast the person. But this is 2024, we have to keep finding things to complain about.

Substitute “masks” for “LTC” and get back to me.

Substitute “masks” for “LTC” and get back to me.
Same applies. Not sure what your point is. If someone wants you to wear a mask to go in their business you can choose to do so or go somewhere else. Just like some restaurants have certain dress codes. I refuse to wear a suit and tie to go eat at a restaurant so I simply don't go. I am talking individual policies of businesses not government mandates.

Same applies. Not sure what your point is. If someone wants you to wear a mask to go in their business you can choose to do so or go somewhere else. Just like some restaurants have certain dress codes. I refuse to wear a suit and tie to go eat at a restaurant so I simply don't go. I am talking individual policies of businesses not government mandates.
Agree. If you’re in my area I will “out” the restaurants that require collared shirts and ties. Seems like useful information, no?

Literally the original post said their place their rules.

Why? I still don’t see the issue of informing people of a store policy: the store doesn’t waste their time with an annoyed consumer and the consumer can choose to go elsewhere if this is a dealbreaker for them. How is this even an “outting?”

I regretted mentioning this particular shop at first but the arguments have been so completely retarded I’m thinking of making a list of the shops that do/don’t do this 😂

It’ll make for an interesting NES thread if nothing else!

Wait, Wait! I’ll start. I can list 7 right off the top of my head! Ready?

😆

Agree. If you’re in my area I will “out” the restaurants that require collared shirts and ties. Seems like useful information, no?

Literally the original post said their place their rules.
You have the right to do as you please. Knowing how cancel happy people are today, I personally don't follow that thinking. Unless they were doing something egregious.

Yes, it's a stupid policy. But, do you think the shop in question, or any other shop that does things like that, is doing it because they WANT to?
OR, do you think their insurance company and/or lawyer told them they need to do that? Especially in MA where I'm sure they are just a small incident away from being shut down.
It could also be the shop owner thinking that running a "tight" operation will keep them in good graces with the local authorities.

Now, how does the NES hive feel about real estate agents that file a copy of the prospective customer's ID at the office before taking them to see houses? (I know this was common practice in Florida when I lived there, not sure about not).

Knowing what I know about the bad ones, most of this kind of thing usually isn't guided by counsel but, rather, /people who think they are/.

Also once in awhile it ends up being "the cops told us to do this" . Like for example if you have a pay range nearly every pay range logs every person's existence on that range by like taking a picture of their driver's license or whatever or at least putting it into a log. Not because the law actually requires it but because the ATF tells people they have to do it. So every pay range operator just does this unquestionably because it's far cheaper to just do that than it is to retain an attorney to deal with it- and because they all do it, the customer opt out is nulled.

Sometimes insurance companies make "soft requests". These are not requirements, but questions about current business practices - like a list of "do you ...." questions. When one gets this sort of query, it is not a "insurance requirement" (although that is often offered as a simplified explaination), but a caution that having to many of the "less desirable answers" could cause your policy to be non-renewed or unfavorably rated. BTSN (been there, seen that).

>this unquestionably because it's far cheaper to just do that than it is to retain an attorney to deal with it- and because they all do it, the customer opt out is nulled.
And the attorney is likely to say "Sure, I can push back on this but this will put you in their crosshairs for any technical violation you may inadvertently commit. My recommendation is to just comply with their request unless you want to spend a lot to prove your point"

It could also be the shop owner thinking that running a "tight" operation will keep them in good graces with the local authorities.

Now, how does the NES hive feel about real estate agents that file a copy of the prospective customer's ID at the office before taking them to see houses? (I know this was common practice in Florida when I lived there, not sure about not).
They started doing that when realtors were getting robbed and raped by potential "Customers" looking for a place to get them alone.

They weren’t rude about it, it was more like they were trying to tell me not to look into the Ark of the Covenant in order to save me from melting.

Like I’ve said, I should have made it a more general inquiry as to why shops do this, but here we are on page 8.

I send a ton of business there and will continue to. It’s a good shop with a dumb policy.

Now, the place down the road from them, on the other hand, once asked for an LTC to buy cleaning patches…

Cabelas?

While I’m genuinely annoyed with the “let me see your LTC”. I won’t bitch and complain.

We are in MA and pants are gonna shit.

In constitutional carry states, there is nothing to ask for…

What really pisses me off is being asked for ID to buy alcohol. I’m obviously f***ing over 21. That is 1000 times more annoying. Store policy 🖕

Went to Shooting Supply. My license was being renewed but not back from state. LPD gave me the letter that it was renewed but not back from state yet. Went to look at gun but Dawn said ‘ Oh that letter only allows you to buy ammunition you can’t touch a gun’. No idea where she pulled that law from. She makes up rules as she goes along. Haven’t been back.

No, you're not the a**h***. Whenever I'm getting a lexus serviced I could practically take a nap in the waiting area if there was a couch. 🤣 unless it just snowed and there are a hundred Asians in there getting their free car washes.... but even then those folks are pretty quiet.
Yeah but try getting them NOT to run it through their shitty car wash.
Good Christ, I must have told Lexus of Warwick 10 times not to do it and the damned thing is still dripping while the service writer is telling me that they didn’t.
I’m like dude, if they didn’t, then it developed a massive leak while you had it. I mean can’t you just let the ole lady do her job and scratch the hell out of it herself like God intended????

They started doing that when realtors were getting robbed and raped by potential "Customers" looking for a place to get them alone.
Yup, and because of the issues of profiling, being denounced as racist or anti-whatever, the agents that do it often have a policy of "treat everyone as a suspect", not just those that give them the heebie jeebies.

What really pisses me off is being asked for ID to buy alcohol. I’m obviously f***ing over 21. That is 1000 times more annoying. Store policy 🖕
An easy policy to manage minions who do not have a strong stake in the store keeping its license. It's easier to tell a minimum wage clerk "you will be fired for cause if you do not confirm the buyers papers are in order" than try to hold these clerks to fuzzy standard like "card everyone not obviously over 30". Wegmans/Natick (RIP) had this policy for alcohol sales.

Last edited:
Went to Shooting Supply. My license was being renewed but not back from state. LPD gave me the letter that it was renewed but not back from state yet. Went to look at gun but Dawn said ‘ Oh that letter only allows you to buy ammunition you can’t touch a gun’. No idea where she pulled that law from. She makes up rules as she goes along. Haven’t been back.

The hits keep coming!!!

View: https://youtu.be/SjbPi00k_ME?si=csyb7EJrSAu6PamX

Im shocked, shocked!!!!! to find out that a store with an insane policy has another policy based on made up laws. 🤣

An easy policy to manage minions who do not have a strong stake in the store keeping its license. It's easier to tell a minimum wage clerk "you will be fired for cause if you do not confirm the buyers papers are in order" than try to hold these clerks to fuxxy standard like "card everyone not obviously over 30". Wegmans/Natick (RIP) had this policy for alcohol sales.
This was the 60 y/o woman at Shaws in my town that asks me every time for the past 7+ years. We always talk, so she knows me.

One place in town got busted for underage sales. I said your stupidity should not be my inconvenience.

It’s getting bad. The overreach, expecting us to comply, and ultimately us accepting it as OK.

It’s not…

ETA: I might add the bold to my signature lol

This was the 60 y/o woman at Shaws in my town that asks me every time for the past 7+ years. We always talk, so she knows me.

One place in town got busted for underage sales. I said your stupidity should not be my inconvenience.

It’s getting bad. The overreach, expecting us to comply, and ultimately us accepting it as OK.

It’s not…

ETA: I might add the bold to my signature lol
Shes trolling you

Back
Top Bottom