MA Machine Gun License

When I lived in MA, I had one. My local CLEO was very cool and didn't hassle me at all. Now I am up in NH, and it doesn't matter anymore.

Well, I can just state my experiences..... I lived in MA for 24 years, and am now a NH resident.
When I got my first LTC in MA (around 1991), it took 8 months and $800 to get it, and that was just for the 'Target' LTC....
I looked into MG licensing in MA, and basically every gun shop and person I knew who was into shooting said "forget it, unless you want to take the legal route, and even then you will lose". I do know it varies by town/city.
I know a few people in MA who do have MG's, but I am not sure how they got them.

Geez who did you piss off? $800 and 8months for an LTC in 1991? I got my first LTC around the same time as an 18 year old still in high school, and pretty sure it was like $25...then a year later I'd be back at the PD getting my first MG license (1st one in my town) also $25 if I remember right. Had to wait 2 more years till I was 21 before I could actually get a form 4 approved...and from there the collection just grew...

From my experience later in life with my invovlement organizing the Hanson Shoot, all I can say is there are quite a few people with "green cards" in MA, and a surprising number of MG's...so yeah to state the obvious, it varies greatly by town...

Has anyone turned this into a poll yet? I would like to see how many people have their green cards and would like to hear the experience of getting it.

I can think of about a dozen right off that have their green cards here, but I imagine most would rather not advertise this on the open forum, opting to keep a low profile about it.

Someone posted a few days ago that, a person is now required by CJIS to, "have a MG license to handle MGs at shooting events."

Is that correct ?

Someone posted a few days ago that, a person is now required by CJIS to, "have a MG license to handle MGs at shooting events."

Is that correct ?

Yes, EOPS position is that if you even touch one without a MG License, you are an instant felon!

That's a direct outfall from the Westfield incident.

Yes, EOPS position is that if you even touch one without a MG License, you are an instant felon!

That's a direct outfall from the Westfield incident.

Len do you have a link to that EOPS finding, memo, regulation etc..

Last edited:
Len do you have a link to that EPOS finding, memo, regulation etc..

Fred,

Here is the most public pronouncement of this position from MGL C. 140 S. 129C Notes in Glidden's 17th Edition book.

16. No Machine Gun Exemption:​
[FONT=LKAOMG+Arial,Arial][FONT=LKAOMG+Arial,Arial]While there are many exemptions under this section, there appears to be no specific exemption for an unlicensed person to possess a machine gun. Paragraph (m) which allows for temporary holding for examination or instruction specifically mentions firearm, rifle and shotgun – all of which are defined in §121. There is no mention of an exemption for machine guns. Possession, even temporary possession at a machine gun shoot could in theory be considered unlawful possession. As of this writing one such case is now before the Massachusetts courts. Its outcome may determine if any exemption does in fact exist.
[/FONT][/FONT]

I don't know if there is a current case on this. What I quoted was the sum total of what he published on the matter.

The Westfield Case involved this, but I don't know if that is what he was referring to or not. And the 17th Edition was published in May 2011, long after that case concluded IIRC.

I don't know if there is a current case on this. What I quoted was the sum total of what he published on the matter.

The Westfield Case involved this, but I don't know if that is what he was referring to or not. And the 17th Edition was published in May 2011, long after that case concluded IIRC.
That is why I was curious...

Not the case. The business didn't even come up and they didn't even want any business information. They only checked what they had on file for me personally. The business is in Ludlow not in Springfield and is not listed in my name.

John, were you or anyone else told you had to have an alarm at your home before they would approve the license. I was told that I needed an "approved" alarm from my insurance company. I just realized, it doesn't make much sense, I don't own a machine gun yet..

No it wasn’t even discussed. I have also moved to another town and have notified the chief of the town I move to and I have not gotten anything for him ether.

I received mine this weekend, Home Alarms did come up as well as Safes. I already have some safes but the alarm system was not mandatory. I am having one installed but not because I have the License now. My town was really easy to talk to but it still took many trips to the station to discuss things. As I understand it I'm the only one in town with this License. I bet that changes soon.

11/1/11 – I contacted Sgt. In charge of licensing.
11/13/11 – I was asked to make an appointment to speak with the Chief.
12/3/11 – dropped off applications.
12/13/2011 – meeting with the Chief.
12/25/2011 – received news of positive outcome.
1/5/2012 – received an e-mail that applications would be entered into system on 1/6/2012.
1/24/2012 – called to come in for photos, prints and pay the fees. Told the wait shouldn’t be very long.
2/17/2012 – told they were ready.
2/18/2012 – My wife took me to pick up the License and lay down the law. COP said with good behavior I would have been out by now. Wifey had no idea what he was referring to. I laughed out loud and then my wife kicked me in the shin.

I did my research filled out my paper work , ( Have had a C&R for 12 years ) met with Chief handed paper work exactly two months later had license , that was 3 years ago [wink] funny still don't have a machine gun lol still looking for the right one in my price range, some day dam it.

Not the case. The business didn't even come up and they didn't even want any business information. They only checked what they had on file for me personally. The business is in Ludlow not in Springfield and is not listed in my name.

Did they ask for a C&R license or any other info?

-Mike

I've been shut down twice by my PD..... at this point over the last year of layoffs and slow work I couldn't buy a MG even if I had a permit, but I still wouldn't like to have the permit.

Can't remember when I got my first MG license. Can't remember much of anything anymore! Maybe 35-40 yrs ago when they were pretty much issued "on request" in the 'burbs. Anyway, I'd advise anyone who can to get one "just in case". The laws will probably just get worse. Also, the license makes a great picture ID at the airport. Jack.

LOL Awesome post!

Back
Top Bottom