Kittery trading post

I'm sure they ( KTP) probably have your same type gun in the cabinet. That's unless people don't even know shit about what they have and the caliber they have. ( Lots of A**Hats like that too)
I've NEVER had a problem with any of the Clerks that will play Match the mag to the gun. The Traders SHOULD mark the mags to what they fit, BUT people take the tags off and play the " what does this mag cost" game, hoping to get a cheaper price on a expensive mag.
They will let you match it to a mag you bring with you, that seems like enough for a bargain bin mag.

Labor cost money, they could easily have someone check all those mags to find out what they fit, but then they have to charge more to cover their costs. And then the skinflints won't buy them.

So, the Customer shouldn't be held accountable for his Dipshit maneuver? YES, the FIRST rule of gun safety is, Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded.
Basically it was a well known individual who brought the gun in, the Trader TRUSTED him and YES, the BOOM occurred. BOTH Parties are to blame! Bottom line is, somebody was almost killed, due to stupid people. With the type of digbats coming into that Store, from all over the New England area, and SOME knowing nothing about what caliber, type, or maker of the gun they own ( yes, there ARE those types) I'm surprised it has never happened prior to that Event. People even want to UNHOLSTER their LOADED gun, to "try a couple holsters"
Thus, the "we will check your gun in before we look at it" deal. I have NO Issues with checking my guns in and with this, you can't fix the stupid for sure!
You seem to want to place the bulk of the blame on the customer. Who failed to check a firearm (with a closed chamber, no less) and actually pulled a trigger, thus making the 'boom'? Sure, the customer was a dipshit and party to the ND, but the bulk of the blame goes to the person who failed to check a firearm and actually pulled a trigger. Throw KTP into the mix for the possibility of improper training.

A well known and TRUSTED individual? [rofl] ROFL, if Gun Jesus himself handed me a firearm and swore on a Gutenberg Bible that it was unloaded- I'd still treat the gun as loaded and check it both visually and via finger banging the chamber.

D6oG8O8U0AAWySv.jpg:large

Of course I know why......its annoying when you break down the gun into unfireable pieces and it wrapped in the box it came in, then they take it into the room, unwrap it all, put it back together...etc....and check it as well. Then they take it apart, wrap it up box it. Just to do the same thing upstairs when they check it for trade. Unneeded in my opinon.

I just traded a gun at Cabelas and it was broken down and boxed. They guy just asked me if it was loaded and I said no. He opened it up flagged the chambers and closed the box. Done.
He didn't take it out, put it together, look down the barrels, then break it back down, rebox it, and then flag the chambers.

I just know next time I'll bring the gun in once piece in case, and bring the box separate, that way they aren't unboxing, unwrapping, and taking forever.
I haven't worked there ( at KTP ) in over 3 years since I moved west. ( I worked there 15 years there since 2005) and I don't know what kinda dipshit looked at your gun, BUT I know I would have had the common sense to check and tag your gun and bring it up to the trade counter. I worked 15 years P/T there, and have been in the business since 1980 and worked at the Danvers Ma Coleman's days) I've also been a FFL in Mass and NH. Plenty of know-it-alls there right now, ( at KTP) with no common sense. Just my 02 on it.

Last edited:
Yup. Used to be good prices on trade ins, and an easy enough process. Now it takes 1-2 days to bring it over the river to their little shop, let alone finding what they have, as mentioned above. 😞
Been years but they usually made the trip in short order or had the customer follow the salesperson over the bridge.

You seem to want to place the bulk of the blame on the customer. Who failed to check a firearm (with a closed chamber, no less) and actually pulled a trigger, thus making the 'boom'? Sure, the customer was a dipshit and party to the ND, but the bulk of the blame goes to the person who failed to check a firearm and actually pulled a trigger. Throw KTP into the mix for the possibility of improper training.

A well known and TRUSTED individual? [rofl] ROFL, if Gun Jesus himself handed me a firearm and swore on a Gutenberg Bible that it was unloaded- I'd still treat the gun as loaded and check it both visually and via finger banging the chamber.

Yeah, I DO Place the bulk of the blame on the Customer, as THEY ( the customer and owner of the gun) should always know whether the gun is HOT or NOT. Then again, SOME are downright stupid! Seems you can't "trust " anybody these days. Like I said, if it were ME ( I'm WELL VERSED in all of it ) It would have NEVER happened had I been down the Trade counter. ( yeah, I worked there about 15 years )

Last edited:
Sounds like something from a movie that was being produced. [devil]

Been years but they usually made the trip in short order or had the customer follow the salesperson over the bridge.
Not anymore. Per the ATF, they must (now, if not always) start the background check (including filling out the paperwork) in your home state. They now only deliver across the river 2x per day. 1030am and 230pm.

I'm sure they ( KTP) probably have your same type gun in the cabinet. That's unless people don't even know shit about what they have and the caliber they have. ( Lots of A**Hats like that too)
I've NEVER had a problem with any of the Clerks that will play Match the mag to the gun. The Traders SHOULD mark the mags to what they fit, BUT people take the tags off and play the " what does this mag cost" game, hoping to get a cheaper price on a expensive mag.
Most of the mags are now marked with a paint marker. A general code ("119") and the price. A few still had a sticker for a price. One had no number or sticker.

Yeah, I DO Place the bulk of the blame on the Customer, as THEY ( the customer and owner of the gun) should always know whether the gun is HOT or NOT. Then again, SOME are downright stupid! Seems you can't "trust " anybody these days. Like I said, if it were ME ( I'm WELL VERSED in all of it ) It would have NEVER happened had I been down the Trade counter. ( yeah, I worked there about 15 years )
If that attitude is common at KTP, I expect more negligent discharges when the gun counter folks expect the customers to know that the guns are unloaded. Perhaps we agree that the customer was an unsafe dumbass, but it's clear you don't agree with me that the clerk who pulled a trigger on a gun he/she failed to check was the bigger dumbass.

@Broc - Dibs on the "What Level Body Armor Do I Wear to KTP?" thread.

by this argument Alec Baldwin did nothing wrong. All firearms are always loaded. Trust is not part of safety protocol. Perhaps the use of chamber flags could have mitigated idiotic behavior leading to the ND.

I stopped in there on Wednesday on my way back from a couple of days in Portland, decided to go just because it was there & I have heard a lot about it. Some 5'4 middle aged eyetalian jackass from somewhere in MA (or maybe RI) was talking to the clerk about .38 ammo. I'm listening and the clerk goes "Are you sure you don't mean .380?" Listened for a couple mins while the clerk tried to figure out whether the guy was looking for ammo for a revolver or a semi, explaining the difference. It got to the point where the clerk had to ask "does it look like one of these or one of those?". I was trying not to laugh my ass off. This clown had no business being in the same building as a gun, let alone owning one.

I haven't worked there ( at KTP ) in over 3 years since I moved west. ( I worked there 15 years there since 2005) and I don't know what kinda dipshit looked at your gun, BUT I know I would have had the common sense to check and tag your gun and bring it up to the trade counter. I worked 15 years P/T there, and have been in the business since 1980 and worked at the Danvers Ma Coleman's days) Plenty of know-it-alls there right now, with no common sense. Just my 02 on it.
Well for the record, it was a younger kid. He also had no clue on some values......I actually took one gun to Cabelas and traded in and got $400 more.

There was an older guy working on my trades as well and he was a lot better and took half the time.

But all in all it took way to fxcking long. 4-5 hours to trade/cash in 7 guns, and a waste of time for the one gun I got way more at Cabelas for because the guy had no clue on value.

That said, Cabelas has no problem trading, but the selling part is 10X worse than KTP.

Well for the record, it was a younger kid. He also had no clue on some values......I actually took one gun to Cabelas and traded in and got $400 more.

There was an older guy working on my trades as well and he was a lot better and took half the time.

But all in all it took way to fxcking long. 4-5 hours to trade/cash in 7 guns, and a waste of time for the one gun I got way more at Cabelas for because the guy had no clue on value.

That said, Cabelas has no problem trading, but the selling part is 10X worse than KTP.
Speak with Dave M up there, ( ktp) He's the head trader/ buyer there and he's usually there Mon-fri and sometimes on Saturdays. Dave has been there for almost 50 years.

Last edited:
I stopped in there on Wednesday on my way back from a couple of days in Portland, decided to go just because it was there & I have heard a lot about it. Some 5'4 middle aged eyetalian jackass from somewhere in MA (or maybe RI) was talking to the clerk about .38 ammo. I'm listening and the clerk goes "Are you sure you don't mean .380?" Listened for a couple mins while the clerk tried to figure out whether the guy was looking for ammo for a revolver or a semi, explaining the difference. It got to the point where the clerk had to ask "does it look like one of these or one of those?". I was trying not to laugh my ass off. This clown had no business being in the same building as a gun, let alone owning one.
I will tell you. I've also noticed the same dumbA** out here in Vegas ( I'm at a gunshop in Vegas) and all I see is Californians and such, who know N O T H I N G of what they own, thinking 38 spl is the same as 380 ACP. They're more dumb than a box of rocks .. PLUS people in Vegas are impatient, rude, and stupid all rolled into one.

If that attitude is common at KTP, I expect more negligent discharges when the gun counter folks expect the customers to know that the guns are unloaded. Perhaps we agree that the customer was an unsafe dumbass, but it's clear you don't agree with me that the clerk who pulled a trigger on a gun he/she failed to check was the bigger dumbass.

Ohh I DO AGREE with you! with the Clerk being a dumba** and he should have known better! To me, he should have been released right away, but he wasn't. ( he's been gone about 6 years now and KTP is better off.) We're on the SAME Page, so I should have explained myself better. With that I apologize to you.

I was at Kittery last weekend and bought a gun there. Its set up with the deli counter tickets. I always grab one as soon as I get there as the line can be long. This time I had number 72 and they were on number 65, so knew I had a good amount of time before my turn.

What wasn’t so surprising is that a number of customers were from MA and when their turn showed up most of them were turned away. No handgun sales of any kind to MA residents I heard more then once. No AR-15 sales to MA residents either was quoted to one guy. They all left dejected. Whether KTP was right or wrong is not something I can comment on. It’s their policy and they definitely were not lacking for customers.

My turn came up, I bought my gun and out the door I went.
The Ticket system was in place prior to Covid, and it really works for those who want to make a purchase. Weeds out the tire kickers from the buyers. Weeds out the tourists too. I've been asked dozens of times by the " well I just wanted to look at the guns" people, and I've informed them they MUST take a number in order to be served.

Last edited:

Personally, I don't think you'll ever see that type of accident happen again. NOT unless some customer comes in, and decides to take his loaded handgun out of it's holster and tries to see if it fits in another holster. ( I've encountered THAT TYPE while at KTP. MY Answer is " bring the holster over here, KEEP YOUR GUN HOLSTERED, and we will try the holster with one of OUR GUNS in the Handgun case. THAT'S how it's done, and in a very safe manner too.

The Ticket system was in place prior to Covid, and it really works for those who want to make a purchase. Weeds out the tire kickers from the buyers. Weeds out the tourists too. I've been asked dozens of times by the " well I just wanted to look at the guns" people, and I've informed them they MUST take a number in order to be served.
90% of my gun buys are online now.....The only reason I even go up there is because their store credit is rather fair. So if I don't need cash, rather than dealing with selling, I'll go up there.

As much as I hate deli tickets, with the amount of tourists and tire kickers up there it works better than the old way of trying to get someone's attention which sucked. Half the time people ignored you, the other half they were dealing with some tourist who didn't know gun laws and was trying to buy something they couldn't.

I don't go up there to shop, if I go I'm either up there to trade something or buy something and GTFO as fast as humanly possible.

I usually take a midweek day though as not to deal with all the tourist idiots.

So the guy isn’t at the door anymore checking guns as you walk in carrying your trade?
Cabellas has them every time I’ve walked in but admit I haven’t been I a little while.

I watched both stop and check a firearm coming in the door.

So the guy isn’t at the door anymore checking guns as you walk in carrying your trade?
Cabellas has them every time I’ve walked in but admit I haven’t been I a little while.

I watched both stop and check a firearm coming in the door.
At Cabelas....yeah he's there.....They just do the safety check a lot faster than KTP does.

However....the buying part at Cabelas is pain. Fxcking pain.

I've "had" to buy 2 guns there because they were models produced for Cabelas only.....and I'd rather get kicked in the balls twice. Plan on at least 1-2 hours to checkout.

The last gun I bought at Cabelas in PA.....it was an O/U shotgun....and cause I was from MA, they got all squirrelly.....took almost 2 hours to checkout. They double check, read the paperwork back to you, then double check that, then another clerk looks at it, then when they finally box it up another clerk checks it........its fxcking insane.

I will never buy another gun there ever.....I don't care. I'm done with them and their big box bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom