• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery trading post

In Defense of KTP, I just have to say this about the Place........
The new ticket system is in place, so those who REALLY want to buy a gun, and can get service, instead of just the "Tire Kickers" who want to just paw through things they have no intention of purchasing, or can't own in their Home States. This also goes for the ones who have NO IDEA of the Federal or how THEIR State Laws work.
The ticket numbers run from 00-99 and they WILL call the number....Just be patient, as the Clerks are TRYING to give decent C S.
The System isn't perfect, BUT the people who work there ARE trying....
If ya haven't been to a Gun shop lately, the Primer, Brass, Powder, Ammo, and Firearm/ long gun,/ defensive shotgun shortage is EVERYWHERE...
Stop by there at 8:30AM every morning, and see them lining up like Seagulls in order to scavenge the ammo! It's like the Black Friday madness.
5 box limit on ammo... This includes if you bought 5 FULL CASES ( These are considered to be boxes ) or 5 50 round boxes.. Etc.. ... You can Mix or Match.... Just a heads up for those who wanna by Case lots...
The guys with the longer years of Longevity are the most experienced (they know the Computer System) and probably know what's actually available.
Available Powder and Components fluctuate on a Daily basis.
Remember, they ARE trying to ASSIST EVERYBODY who comes into the Gun Floor.

This is great news. I've purchased about 12 various firearms from KTP over the past 11 years, mostly during calm political times, but did purchase a few during very busy times. It's ALWAYS been a frustrating PIA to nail a salesperson for a needed sale. I have always researched the KTP gun site, and had an exact model i was looking to purchase. So you get to the store, and you have to wait ..... and wait..... and wait while all the idiot window lickers BS to the sales help with pointless random gun talk. So I for one am happy to read this. This will do exactly as intended , it will weed out the pointless , sale-less interactions between sales staff and "no sale" customers.

This past Sunday was crazy up there. Some people look like they were in a full panic mode, as they were attempting to purchase ammo. Kinda late to the Party as some say. White Birch Armory in Dover is usually stocked for alternate options. If you see the ammo you want, you've gotta grab it while you're there. Long Gun racks have been bare for the past several months.

good buddy visited yesterday, eyed the new ruger 10/22 competition modal. he's not a newbie but hasn't bought a gun in a few years. asked the sales guy about purchasing a long arm, as a mass resident, and was told yup, you can take it with you. thought about it for another 10 minutes, and decided, he was going to buy. Brought it up to the counter, and started pulling out id, this sales clerk apologized and said no, they can't sell this to him, as it has a threaded barrel, and can take hi capacity magazines. he was polite but disappointed, and will chase one down locally now ( if any one has seen this on a rack in central MA, let me know). i said its too bad you didn't push this guy, as he was wrong on both counts, maybe you may have educated him or his manager, but knowing how fuddy some of those guys can be, he might have just wasted his time....PS they still have sleeves of federal match SPP for $15/100

good buddy visited yesterday, eyed the new ruger 10/22 competition modal. he's not a newbie but hasn't bought a gun in a few years. asked the sales guy about purchasing a long arm, as a mass resident, and was told yup, you can take it with you. thought about it for another 10 minutes, and decided, he was going to buy. Brought it up to the counter, and started pulling out id, this sales clerk apologized and said no, they can't sell this to him, as it has a threaded barrel, and can take hi capacity magazines. he was polite but disappointed, and will chase one down locally now ( if any one has seen this on a rack in central MA, let me know). i said its too bad you didn't push this guy, as he was wrong on both counts, maybe you may have educated him or his manager, but knowing how fuddy some of those guys can be, he might have just wasted his time....PS they still have sleeves of federal match SPP for $15/100
KTP is overly gay about MA. They think they know the laws but will take them to the extreme. I only buy super fuddy guns there like O/U's, Levers, special higher grade shit and such.......in general, those also are carried pretty much no where else as well. It likely may have high grade wood I want to view as well prior to buying. And I will likely be using a KTP gift card where I traded something in for Store Credit.

Regular other day to day crap, semi and bolt rifles and shotguns, plastic pistols, 1911's, ....buy online.

We need to start carrying around Morahs decree where 22lr is exempt .
Also a good copy of actual law. If it would matter

Now officially dead to me. Went in to see if they had a used pistol that was listed on their site. The clerk crawls around the cabinet for 20 minutes trying to find it. Pulls out lots of others, at much higher prices. Can't find it. Finally says "Let me go check the computer." Oh, it was sold. Thanks for wasting both of our time, since you could have done this to start.

They won't care. They will still make things up on the fly to suit their mood of the day.... [rofl]
This....as we all know, when laws are vague and hard to understand....people generally take them to the nth degree as a way of covering their ass.

I don't blame out of state shops for this really. But I know not to bother with pistols and any thing semi other than a fudd shotgun at KTP.

Now officially dead to me. Went in to see if they had a used pistol that was listed on their site. The clerk crawls around the cabinet for 20 minutes trying to find it. Pulls out lots of others, at much higher prices. Can't find it. Finally says "Let me go check the computer." Oh, it was sold. Thanks for wasting both of our time, since you could have done this to start.
You must have had the kid that did my last safe cleaning trade in. 8 guns took nearly 4 hours. The kid would look at them 17 times, dry fire 3-4 times with a snap cap it took him 5 minutes to find.

The whole process now because of lawyers is fxcking stupid, when you walk in the door, they have to have a store clerk come down to the front in a special room, and check that every one was empty. Some of these were broken down and in boxes.......WTF. Then the same person goes up and works on the trade ins......its litteraly insane.

Never doing that again.....will be one at time next time, and only if they have something in stock I want. If that, its getting to be such a PIA.

Last edited:
You must have had the kid that did my last safe cleaning trade in. 8 guns took nearly 4 hours. The kid would look at them 17 times, dry fire 3-4 times with a snap cap it took him 5 minutes to find.

The whole process now because of lawyers is fxcking stupid, when you walk in the door, they have to have a store clerk come down to the front in a special room, and check that every one was empty. Some of these were broken down and in boxes.......WTF. Then the same person goes up and works on the trade ins......its litteraly insane.

Never doing that again.....will be one at time next time, and only if they have something in stock I want. If that, its getting to be such a PIA.
Yup. Used to be good prices on trade ins, and an easy enough process. Now it takes 1-2 days to bring it over the river to their little shop, let alone finding what they have, as mentioned above. 😞

This....as we all know, when laws are vague and hard to understand....people generally take them to the nth degree as a way of covering their ass.

I don't blame out of state shops for this really. But I know not to bother with pistols and any thing semi other than a fudd shotgun at KTP.
I just wish that those shops would just say they don't sell stuff to mass instead of making things up it would make things a lot easier.

You didn't call them to have it put aside for you?

You didn't call them to have it put aside for you?

No shit. You can even click it to have it set aside for 10 days last I knew.
It was posted one day before I went there. I never know what my schedule will be after work, and they used to do it as a "24 hour hold", so I didn't want to do that and then not show up.

That's literally the only redeeming thing about that place is that they will effectively pay you too much money for used guns.
I get a kick out of you people from MA who get all upset at out-of-state shops for not being an expert on MA’s stupid, overly complicated, absurd and nonsensical laws. Like somehow it’s their fault that MA is retarded.
I don't fault shops for not wanting to serve Mass customers at all... but I think it's garbage when they start bloviating about s*** they have no clue about. Then staff at gun shops in both mass (and a few in NH by the way) have to waste a shitload of time untangling a bunch of lies that were told to their customers by KTP and a bunch of other places that make s*** up on the fly. 🤣

The downstream faggotry and alarmism induced by people not wanting to admit they don't know something is ridiculous. Hell one of my favorite shops in NH basically will tell people "I'd love to sell you that but we don't really understand the laws there so I can't do it" a position I completely respect. I can't respect somebody telling lies to people just so that they can keep up their ego as being informed when they really aren't...

You’re the type of person who I’m talking about. 🤣🤣🤣
Please tell us how making shit up and spreading lies helps out gun owners in New England. This stuff doesn't originate because somebody doesn't understand the laws it's because they intentionally make shit up or never bother to verify anything someone else told them. It's just lazy retard behavior. Nobody is asking anyone to be an expert but perhaps acknowledge their own limitations.

So the problem is whose fault? Just want to be clear on that before judgement.
So theirs. It had apparently been sold quite a while before, and they didn't bother to remove the listing. Kind of like the NES classifieds. Before, I've been told that if it's up, it's there (somewhere...).

If they have it in the computer that it's sold, they should check it that way, instead of wasting everyone's time looking for something that's not there.

I get a kick out of you people from MA who get all upset at out-of-state shops for not being an expert on MA’s stupid, overly complicated, absurd and nonsensical laws. Like somehow it’s their fault that MA is retarded.
I don't think anyone here was blaming KTP or any other shop....we are saying the laws cause them to be overly cautious, and its definately MA retardism fault.

No shit. You can even click it to have it set aside for 10 days last I knew.
No more free 7 day holds.

You must put 20% down to hold it now or buy it online.

Remember if you have a gift card use it when you buy online, other wise you can't go there and use it after without voiding the whole transaction.

I never bought a gun online at KTP, but holding a gun for free for 7 to 10 days sounds like the a stupid idea.
Not really. I bought my used trap gun from them. I saw it on line, gave a call to confirm, I drove up a couple days later looked, liked and did the transfer over the state line in NH and saved the sales tax then returned to MA.

How was that stupid? I got a great gun at a reasonable price and they sold it like the business model they are in.

Back
Top Bottom