• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kittery trading post

Not really. I bought my used trap gun from them. I saw it on line, gave a call to confirm, I drove up a couple days later looked, liked and did the transfer over the state line in NH and saved the sales tax then returned to MA.

How was that stupid? I got a great gun at a reasonable price and they sold it like the business model they are in.
What if that same day you called, an hour later someone else was interested but the gun was on hold for you, then you never showed up?

That is why.

At least make people put $50 down that is then returned to them once they show up, even if they don't buy the gun. But force them to show up somehow.

What if that same day you called, an hour later someone else was interested but the gun was on hold for you, then you never showed up?

That is why.

At least make people put $50 down that is then returned to them once they show up, even if they don't buy the gun. But force them to show up somehow.
Then the #2 guy gets a swing at it. Just like first come first served or After me you come first.
Not all people suck. I still live by my word is my bond. My feedback speaks for itself.

Get your head out of Massachusetts

Then the #2 guy gets a swing at it. Just like first come first served or After me you come first.
Not all people suck. I still live by my word is my bond. My feedback speaks for itself.

Get your head out of Massachusetts
So, some other guy has to get in a waiting line to see if the first guy shows up in 7 days and in the meantime KTP lost potential sales?

If this was such a good model every gun store would be doing it.

So, some other guy has to get in a waiting line to see if the first guy shows up in 7 days and in the meantime KTP lost potential sales?

And if it was a bad model they would stop doing it, so.......

Their store their rules. Seems to work for them. To the best of my knowledge this is not the norm.

I’ve found expensive guns I wanted at local gun stores, was waiting on a big pay day to come in (I try not to use plastic) and put a 50 down to hold it. The money didn’t come through for like two weeks, we stayed in touch and they were cool. The day after the money came in I was there with cash in hand.

They know me though. I’m sure gun stores get holders that don’t follow through and then that time the gun is on hold lose sales. I guess bigger stores (like KTP) this hurts them less than smaller shops.

Gee. What a shame it worked great for years. I wouldn’t expect them to hold a Large volume production gun but I’m betting if there was another trap gun (away from all the meat heads) where the quiet counter is located I’m willing to bet they would put it aside. Skinflints normally don’t buy this level of firearm.

Sometimes it just sucks to be the #2 guy. Just like racing.

Last edited:
Not really. I bought my used trap gun from them. I saw it on line, gave a call to confirm, I drove up a couple days later looked, liked and did the transfer over the state line in NH and saved the sales tax then returned to MA.

How was that stupid? I got a great gun at a reasonable price and they sold it like the business model they are in.
He's not talking about the buyer point of view he's talking about it being a ridiculously stupid policy for a gun shop to use because the number of people that will flake out on it is going to be ridiculous.. . And if that gun isn't on the floor then you're reducing its opportunity to be sold.

It's a great policy if we weren't a nation filled with f****** a**h***s retards and people who can't keep their word. 🤣

ETA: what they should have done is simply move to a policy where they take $20 or $50 up front. That would reduce the fail rate drastically.

He's not talking about the buyer point of view he's talking about it being a ridiculously stupid policy for a gun shop to use because the number of people that will flake out on it is going to be ridiculous.. . And if that gun isn't on the floor then you're reducing its opportunity to be sold.

It's a great policy if we weren't a nation filled with f****** a**h***s retards and people who can't keep their word. 🤣

ETA: what they should have done is simply move to a policy where they take $20 or $50 up front. That would reduce the fail rate drastically.
Someone gets it.

Take some money up front, then return it but only if the person goes to the store, that way if you don't sell the gun at least you get another potential customer in there.

And if that was the policy that a 50 puts it aside then what prevents me from backing out of the sale after inspection? Now what does KTP do? Are you really going to charge me 50 for the privilege? In your example you’re still handing the deposit back so what’s the point?
That’s when I tell you to GFY and never even give the place a second look as I blow by the exits at 75-80.

Remember when shooting sports was in decline? I sure do and KTP setting a not so everyday gun was a provided service. Not a chore. If it wasn’t advertised online I would have never known about it.

Would I ask for a 350 shotty to be set aside? Of course not.

And if that was the policy that a 50 puts it aside then what prevents me from backing out of the sale after inspection? Now what does KTP do? Are you really going to charge me 50 for the privilege? In your example you’re still handing the deposit back so what’s the point?
That’s when I tell you to GFY and never even give the place a second look as I blow by the exits at 75-80.

Remember when shooting sports was in decline? I sure do and KTP setting a not so everyday gun was a provided service. Not a chore. If it wasn’t advertised online I would have never known about it.

Would I ask for a 350 shotty to be set aside? Of course not.
Obviously if the 7 day hold model was working they wouldn't have shitcanned it.

The reality is the 20% deposit, or buying it in full online gives them some idea that you are serious.

They still refund any deposit put down, and will refund any online payment in full if you don't like it, or have to cancel.

I cancelled over the phone once because I could not get up there in reasonable time to pick up the gun, and they just credit the card back.

Obviously if the 7 day hold model was working they wouldn't have shitcanned it.

The reality is the 20% deposit, or buying it in full online gives them some idea that you are serious.

They still refund any deposit put down, and will refund any online payment in full if you don't like it, or have to cancel.

I cancelled over the phone once because I could not get up there in reasonable time to pick up the gun, and they just credit the card back.
Or one could play the Gun Broker game I guess.
It worked out great for me and another “real buyer” when we did it.

Does KTP still have their grab bins? I got lucky at their grab bins full of mags and accessories - got 2 SIG P-210 mags at el cheapo prices.
Yes. Unfortunately, they are kind of useless. Beretta 92, Canik, CZ, Springfield P9 (I'm assuming) 9mm mags all look alike. They are taking the mags from guns, but all they do is put their code "191" and a price on them. Not what they came from. Same with the holsters. Most are not marked with what they are for. I'm sure they won't let bring your gun in and start putting mags in it to see what fits. A few are marked with the manufacturer, but if it says "S&W" is it a 9mm or a .40? I pawed through them the other day, but some looked like 9mm mags but were stamped .40 (but no brand).

Yes. Unfortunately, they are kind of useless. Beretta 92, Canik, CZ, Springfield P9 (I'm assuming) 9mm mags all look alike. They are taking the mags from guns, but all they do is put their code "191" and a price on them. Not what they came from. Same with the holsters. Most are not marked with what they are for. I'm sure they won't let bring your gun in and start putting mags in it to see what fits. A few are marked with the manufacturer, but if it says "S&W" is it a 9mm or a .40? I pawed through them the other day, but some looked like 9mm mags but were stamped .40 (but no brand).
I've brought mags of my own to match up.

Why assume the won't? Just ask.

I've brought mags of my own to match up.

Why assume the won't? Just ask.
I commented to the clerk at the trade-in counter that they should have a "lower" for the common pistols to see which ones fit. They are FUDDy enough that I highly doubt they want you in there handling your firearm and trying mags in it (although, I can see even non-FUDDy places having an issue with it).

I commented to the clerk at the trade-in counter that they should have a "lower" for the common pistols to see which ones fit. They are FUDDy enough that I highly doubt they want you in there handling your firearm and trying mags in it (although, I can see even non-FUDDy places having an issue with it).
And I would agree with that. They are cheap because they have nothing invested in them, they don't want to deal with them, The idea that they would provide any lower to try them is ridiculous. If they cared that much they could label them as the take them in (you do know these come from trades that came in with extra mags, right). And putting mags in and out of a gun, even just a frame, that isn't you looking at it at the coulter is a no go at any LGS.

But matching them up to another empty mag, that's easy and not going to look like you're loading a gun to anyone. And they still have no time invested in the mag.

Remember, they don't have any obligation to, and little interest in, selling those mags. It's you (or me) that wants the cheap mag. As long as they don't need to put any effort into it, they are good with that. As soon as it become work, they will either stop doing it or charge a full price. It's a bargain bin.

Or one could play the Gun Broker game I guess.
It worked out great for me and another “real buyer” when we did it.
I used to do 7 day hold all the time, and did many transactions from that.......it was nice, but I don't expect any company to do that with the amount of people that squirrel out.

I remember when they also would take pics of the gun (if used) and send them to you. After Covid......they couldn't attain that level of customer service I'm sure, as I was told pics are no longer being done either.

At least they keep up with stock on the website fairly well.......and Ive been very happy with the 20% down hold or full buy online and refund if needed/you don't like gun policy. They don't
ask why, they just refund your money. Looked at a high grade gun up there brand new, it had a loose forearm stock that I didn't like, but I didn't mention it. I told him I was going to pass, he said no problem......didn't even ask why......said you'll have card credit back in a week. Done.

Not sure what the problem with that is.

if you go, get those chewey red covered peanut things. that makes the trip to KTP worthwhile. also, in the summer they have those big tents set up in the back with winter/hunting clothes on sales...i get some great deals in there.

but they never seem to have any guns or caliber cartridges i am into when i go there. i will always pick up some hard to find cartridges, if they are just sitting there.

the last time they had the big sales event...i dropped by and checked out a sweet set of mini binoculars. but when i saw that, on sale, they would be nearly a thousand bucks...i kind of backed off on that one.

I used to do 7 day hold all the time, and did many transactions from that.......it was nice, but I don't expect any company to do that with the amount of people that squirrel out.

I remember when they also would take pics of the gun (if used) and send them to you. After Covid......they couldn't attain that level of customer service I'm sure, as I was told pics are no longer being done either.

At least they keep up with stock on the website fairly well.......and Ive been very happy with the 20% down hold or full buy online and refund if needed/you don't like gun policy. They don't
ask why, they just refund your money. Looked at a high grade gun up there brand new, it had a loose forearm stock that I didn't like, but I didn't mention it. I told him I was going to pass, he said no problem......didn't even ask why......said you'll have card credit back in a week. Done.

Not sure what the problem with that is.
I haven’t been itching for anything but the online presence of an accurate stock list was a plus.

You must have had the kid that did my last safe cleaning trade in. 8 guns took nearly 4 hours. The kid would look at them 17 times, dry fire 3-4 times with a snap cap it took him 5 minutes to find.

The whole process now because of lawyers is fxcking stupid, when you walk in the door, they have to have a store clerk come down to the front in a special room, and check that every one was empty. Some of these were broken down and in boxes.......WTF. Then the same person goes up and works on the trade ins......its litteraly insane.

Never doing that again.....will be one at time next time, and only if they have something in stock I want. If that, its getting to be such a PIA.
Do you know WHY they do this? ( take you into a room and clear the guns before you can come to the gun floor)
BECAUSE, some DIPSHIT came in with a LOADED GUN, brought it up to the trade counter, AND handed it to the Trader Clerk. Owner says "the gun's empty" and Clerk removes EMPTY mag, and PULLS the trigger!. The gun goes BOOM! Because ( drum roll) the DIPSHIT owner of the gun "didn't know it was loaded"
Sooooo, There's your answer, and Please don't blame the shop for stupid ass customers. ( how do I know what happened, because I was there WHEN it happened.)

Last edited:
Do you know WHY they do this? ( take you into a room and clear the guns before you can come to the gun floor)
BECAUSE, some DIPSHIT came in with a LOADED GUN, brought it up to the trade counter, AND handed it to the Trader Clerk. Owner says "the gun's empty" and Clerk removes EMPTY mag, and PULLS the trigger!. The gun goes BOOM! Because ( drum roll) the DIPSHIT owner of the gun "didn't know it was loaded"
Sooooo, There's your answer, and don't blame the shop for stupid ass customers. ( how do I know what happened, because I was there WHEN it happened.)
[rolleyes]

That incident required TWO dipshits to happen. No, you can't blame the shop for stupid ass customers. You absolutely CAN blame the shop for stupid ass clerks who ignore the most basic element of gun safety.

I'm sure they ( KTP) probably have your same type gun in the cabinet. That's unless people don't even know shit about what they have and the caliber they have. ( Lots of A**Hats like that too)
I've NEVER had a problem with any of the Clerks that will play Match the mag to the gun. The Traders SHOULD mark the mags to what they fit, BUT people take the tags off and play the " what does this mag cost" game, hoping to get a cheaper price on a expensive mag.

[rolleyes]

That incident required TWO dipshits to happen. No, you can't blame the shop for stupid ass customers. You absolutely CAN blame the shop for stupid ass clerks who ignore the most basic element of gun safety.
So, the Customer shouldn't be held accountable for his Dipshit maneuver? YES, the FIRST rule of gun safety is, Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded.
Basically it was a well known individual who brought the gun in, the Trader TRUSTED him and YES, the BOOM occurred. BOTH Parties are to blame! Bottom line is, somebody was almost killed, due to stupid people. With the type of digbats coming into that Store, from all over the New England area, and SOME knowing nothing about what caliber, type, or maker of the gun they own ( yes, there ARE those types) I'm surprised it has never happened prior to that Event. People even want to UNHOLSTER their LOADED gun, to "try a couple holsters"
Thus, the "we will check your gun in before we look at it" deal. I have NO Issues with checking my guns in and with this, you can't fix the stupid for sure!

Last edited:
I was at Kittery last weekend and bought a gun there. Its set up with the deli counter tickets. I always grab one as soon as I get there as the line can be long. This time I had number 72 and they were on number 65, so knew I had a good amount of time before my turn.

What wasn’t so surprising is that a number of customers were from MA and when their turn showed up most of them were turned away. No handgun sales of any kind to MA residents I heard more then once. No AR-15 sales to MA residents either was quoted to one guy. They all left dejected. Whether KTP was right or wrong is not something I can comment on. It’s their policy and they definitely were not lacking for customers.

My turn came up, I bought my gun and out the door I went.

Sooooo, There's your answer, and don't blame the shop for stupid ass customers. ( how do I know what happened, because I was there WHEN it happened.)
Of course I know why......its annoying when you break down the gun into unfireable pieces and it wrapped in the box it came in, then they take it into the room, unwrap it all, put it back together...etc....and check it as well. Then they take it apart, wrap it up box it. Just to do the same thing upstairs when they check it for trade. Unneeded in my opinon.

I just traded a gun at Cabelas and it was broken down and boxed. They guy just asked me if it was loaded and I said no. He opened it up flagged the chambers and closed the box. Done.
He didn't take it out, put it together, look down the barrels, then break it back down, rebox it, and then flag the chambers.

I just know next time I'll bring the gun in once piece in case, and bring the box separate, that way they aren't unboxing, unwrapping, and taking forever.

Last edited:
I was at Kittery last weekend and bought a gun there. Its set up with the deli counter tickets. I always grab one as soon as I get there as the line can be long. This time I had number 72 and they were on number 65, so knew I had a good amount of time before my turn.

What wasn’t so surprising is that a number of customers were from MA and when their turn showed up most of them were turned away. No handgun sales of any kind to MA residents I heard more then once. No AR-15 sales to MA residents either was quoted to one guy. They all left dejected. Whether KTP was right or wrong is not something I can comment on. It’s their policy and they definitely were not lacking for customers.

My turn came up, I bought my gun and out the door I went.
So I assume you bought a rifle?

Back
Top Bottom