• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Improper gun storage

30Mauser said:
Funny or not, I did this once (kind of)... Was about to get in line with my kids for the Liberty Island ferry when I learned that my beloved grandfather's Swiss army knife would have to go in the trash. Stashed it, made the trip, and returned to find it just where I'd left it.

Major difference from the object of this topic: I wouldn't have been crushed had it gone missing and, more importantly, would not have been facing any jail time. Though, being NYC, I'm not entirely certain of the latter...

I too have done this...with beers in a snowbank for the walk home.

I thought they called after he came back to see if anyone found a gun?

Here's the quote from the article:

The security guard who originally patted Murrett down at the club said he discovered Murrett had the firearm in the small of his back, police report. He said Murrett showed a license for the gun but security would not allow him inside the club with the gun, according to a police report. Security made management aware and called 911.

Sounds to me like they called to report that they turned him away from the club.

Here's the quote from the article:

Sounds to me like they called to report that they turned him away from the club.
My bad.
So I don't get it? Why would they call 911? Are there many places that 'pat' you down to get it? I have never been to one but also don't get out very often. If I get patted down and someone says 'whats that' my answer is 'thats my personal belongings' I guess they can ask me to leave.

Funny or not, I did this once (kind of)... Was about to get in line with my kids for the Liberty Island ferry when I learned that my beloved grandfather's Swiss army knife would have to go in the trash. Stashed it, made the trip, and returned to find it just where I'd left it.

Major difference from the object of this topic: I wouldn't have been crushed had it gone missing and, more importantly, would not have been facing any jail time. Though, being NYC, I'm not entirely certain of the latter...
Reminds me of when I was applying for my CCW in Washington State a few years ago. I drove to Seattle and had to walk quite a few blocks to the courthouse to apply... When I walked in I saw the metal detectors and realized I had my pocket knife on me. I really didnt have time to walk back to my car and back there again, so I showed it to the officers before the metal detector and they yelled out "Property" and marked it with my name and gave me a card to hand back to them when I left to redeem it. I honestly thought that would be the last time I would see that knife haha but it's still clipped on my pocket today

About the only thing dumber than hiding your gun in the bushes outside a club is turning in a free throwaway gun.

Hopefully the gun will turn itself in before it does something stupid.

When I was in Paris most of the places you visited would run you through a metal detector and put your bag through an x-ray. They don't watch the screens very well because I made it into the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Versailles with my gerber. Granted these are places where thousands of people are coming through security a day.

You forget: they aren't trying to make you safe; they are trying to make you feel safe.

Had he installed the legally required trigger lock he'd be OK, right? [wink]

Although you are correct, I'd still bet they would have charged him. It's Boston and they have their own "rules" which are laws as far as they are concerned.

Of course they would have, probably not just in Boston either. I just couldn't resist the temptation to point out yet another reason that the MGLs regarding storage are stupid. [wink]

Murrett was originally arrested and charged with improper storage of a firearm and carrying a firearm while under the influence of liquor, the police report stated. His license to carry a gun was also seized and turned over to detectives.

But the application of complaint issued in court Monday charged only that his registered weapon was stored in an unsafe way by not keeping it in a locked container. The maximum penalty for the charge is a $5,000 fine or a year in jail.
To the best of my knowledge, neither of those crimes carry a right of arrest when pertaining to low-capacity firearms. I'm trying to figure out how they hooked him, considering I thought the LC9 was a 7+1. They also can't seize his license without written notice from his licensing authority, which would likely be Quincy--not BPD detectives.

The most jacked up thing is, had he thrown it in the bush with a cable lock, he would have been fine. He'd likely have gotten a suitability disqualifier, but would have satisfied 131L.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, neither of those crimes carry a right of arrest when pertaining to low-capacity firearms. I'm trying to figure out how they hooked him, considering I thought the LC9 was a 7+1.

The most jacked up thing is, had he thrown it in the bush with a cable lock, he would have been fine. He'd likely have gotten a suitability disqualifier, but would have satisfied 131L.

I wonder if he answered honestly when asked if the gun was locked. It seems like a situation where it's better to remain silent, then force the state to prove it was unsecured. One of many mistakes he made that night.

My bet would be someone saw him stash the gun. The dummy did a couple things really wrong though. First, he should have locked the damn bush! Second, if he was carrying his HARD BLOCK with him none of this would have happened! Seriously though, how bad can you need to enter a freaking night club to leave a LOADED gun in the bushes? Well, at least it wasn't FULLY loaded.

He should check with Brookline police. I think the bear they caught today may have been carrying!

When do clubbing need body search or pat down? TSA in action again?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

My bet would be someone saw him stash the gun. The dummy did a couple things really wrong though. First, he should have locked the damn bush! Second, if he was carrying his HARD BLOCK with him none of this would have happened! Seriously though, how bad can you need to enter a freaking night club to leave a LOADED gun in the bushes? Well, at least it wasn't FULLY loaded.

+1....He should have brought the HARD BLOCK to Boston but instead he choose the gun and got Cock Blocked..

This is a bad example that will hurt everyone that want to responsibly exercise their Second Amendment Rights in this state.

Back
Top Bottom