• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Improper storage examples by LEO

Wasn’t there a case about 8 years ago or thereabouts where a cop came home from work and left his service handgun on the kitchen table and his kid picked up the gun and used it to commit suicide? I remember being on Facebook when it happened and questioned the PD on FB about whether the officer would be charge with violating unsafe storage laws and man a number of cops in that city jumped on me for daring to ask that question. You know ‘rules for thee but none for me’ BS we usually get from our wonderful government.

A cursory web search finds a case that matches, but it’s out of OR, not MA.

This might not be improper storage.
A few years back, a Ma state trooper had his patrol rifle stolen from his cruiser while it was parked overnight.
I think the trooper lived in a condo or apartment complex in Revere.

This might not be improper storage.
A few years back, a Ma state trooper had his patrol rifle stolen from his cruiser while it was parked overnight.
I think the trooper lived in a condo or apartment complex in Revere.
that was recently, the MSP started off saying it was a high end experienced crew that defeated all the super secret ways they secure their vehicles.

In the end it was a couple of idiot kids from Malden, the cruiser was at the Rowe's Quarry apartment complex just off Rt 1 at Essex Street

The district attorney’s office said the 15-year-old and 14-year-old entered the parking garage of an apartment complex on Overlook Ridge Drive and broke into the marked cruiser on March 23, taking a patrol rifle, high-capacity magazine and ammunition.

Does the son of a high ranking MSP Officer count?

a effn CWOF on 5 charges too

Not creating a bash thread. But other than the Westford example, I'd like any news stories of police that improperly stored firearms and were not prosecuted.
Technically, wasn't the Westford example really improper disposal?
/sarcasm on.

Pittsfield Police Department​

Jennifer Brueckmann

Incident date: May 5, 2010
Allegation: Other misconduct, conduct unbecoming. Neglect of duty.
Discipline: Reassignment.

Incident date: March 23, 2011
Allegation: Listed as “other/conduct unbecoming” due to Criminal Justice Information Services [CJIS] policy violation.
Discipline: Listed as “other” with no further details.

Incident date: Sept. 30, 2011
Allegation: Truthfulness or professional integrity — filing a false report or committed perjury by filing contradictory reports.
Discipline: Written reprimand.

Incident date: Oct. 14, 2014
Allegation: Improper firearm usage or storage, unsafe during training.

Discipline: Listed as “other” with no further details.

Springfield cop hung out to dry on a safe storage charge after her girlfriend ate a bullet from the cops service weapon

Just read through this one. Seems that that pesky pension was right up near the top of her attorney's priorities. Classic to hear them say, "I want to get ON the this or that city or town dept." Like getting onto a teat. Difficult to pry them off LOL.

Firemen?

They don't routinely carry firearms or have powers of arrest unless they are arson investigators. This was also not a lost gun, but an illegal possession of high normal capacity magazines. Other than that, I think it's right on point,

Firemen?

remember a recruit left an m16 leaning against a tree during training in woods at fort devens . heard it was turned in by a civilian, would not have been me
Committing a felony federal style (if caught) for a $1000 trinket that will never leave the safe for fear of being caught and thrown in a federal penitentiary is my idea of a good time as well!

Eons ago - 25 years ago - St. Pete officer left his MP5K on the roof of his patrol car. No lie. WTF does a St. Pete ossifer need an MP5K for in the first place????? Who authorized that stupidity? Imagine him showing up to a house raid like he was Martin Riggs or something. LOL

The news had all sorts of reports that if it was returned, no questions would be asked. LOL
I remember reading a not-often-mentioned detail in the Miami shootout from Unintended Consequences, that an FBI agent was getting a BJ from a waitress in a restaurant bathroom and thus missed the whole action. He had an MP5 in the trunk. Not unlawful storage, but nonetheless a funny tidbit in otherwise a grim case.

Not creating a bash thread. But other than the Westford example, I'd like any news stories of police that improperly stored firearms and were not prosecuted.
Chief Dan Galvis, Leyden, MA. 2012. He went away on vacation, left a bunch of guns out in his house including a machine gun. Wind blew the door open, his alarm went off, State Police responded. As far as I know, he was never prosecuted or charged even for any of it.

Wasn’t there a case about 8 years ago or thereabouts where a cop came home from work and left his service handgun on the kitchen table and his kid picked up the gun and used it to commit suicide? I remember being on Facebook when it happened and questioned the PD on FB about whether the officer would be charge with violating unsafe storage laws and man a number of cops in that city jumped on me for daring to ask that question. You know ‘rules for thee but none for me’ BS we usually get from our wonderful government.
In Leominster some cops grandson actually NDed his p226 into the ceiling of the PD annnnd.... absolutely nothing happened. 🤣 The rest of us do that shit in a public building? Direct to jayle.

View: https://youtu.be/eiyfwZVAzGw?si=vq0v4s3vXACfxgnU

Springfield cop hung out to dry on a safe storage charge after her girlfriend ate a bullet from the cops service weapon

Hung out to dry? It was CWOF and was to go away in a year. She was out on paid leave, and her pension wasn't going to be impacted.

I think "laundered" would have been a better turn of phrase.

This was 30 years ago but the DARE officer for Hanover went to his home one day in his cruiser to take a shower or something and while he was in the shower, his kid went into the open cruiser and discharged the shotgun, blowing a hole through the roof of the cruiser.
And that was the impetus for Detroit to put moon roofs in cars! [rofl]

They don't routinely carry firearms or have powers of arrest unless they are arson investigators. This was also not a lost gun, but an illegal possession of high normal capacity magazines. Other than that, I think it's right on point,

The illegal possession charges for the magazines were later dropped by the state due to "various constitutional issues", i.e., the police had no warrants to search his safe or closet.

The illegal possession charges for the magazines were later dropped by the state due to "various constitutional issues", i.e., the police had no warrants to search his safe or closet.

Great job by his attorney.

and the search was because of mental health concerns, they disarmed him at Town Hall then went to his house.

Sadly, he did not live too long after the charges were dropped, I can only speculate as to the cause

Couple days ago had detectives show up.

Neighbor left an "anonymous" email on their tip line saying I had a bunch of unsecured guns in my car and random people were accessing them.

Dudes were cool so let em search the car. Knew there was nothing there and was able to ascertain who sent the email from conversation. Had a follow-up call next day all set. Apparently there was no specific allegation and no date so going after the guy for swatting is probably out.

As I understand it Legally u can leave non large capacity rifles/shotguns cased unloaded with trigger locks anywhere in the car or just unloaded in a locked trunk. While handguns and large capacity long guns need to be unloaded in a locked trunk or case.

What's the legal precedent in MA law for storing guns in a parked car?

Practically every police officer and pretty much everyone at the range stores guns in their vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom