• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LEO Carry Ammo

I was wondering what kind of ammunition law enforcement carries. A friend who I have been taking to the range asked me what police carry in their pistols and I said I don’t know but I assume it was a cooper plated round nose round. But right after I said it I realized I had no idea. So school me on LEO pistol ammo.

I already assume that if a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range was available it would be an option.

I will also say Winchester Ranger. In my opinion, that is not good for a carry ammo. A couple years ago a deer was hit but still needed to be dispatched. A MA state trooper finished it. I had possession of the deer and while skinning, I saw what I thought was a piece of plastic car trim just under the skin and against a rib. It turned out to be the projectile from the shot. I was surprised at how little penatration there was. That's where 20201230_153637.jpg my opinion on Ranger ammo comes from. To me that was a real world testing scenario.
20201230_153519.jpg

I will also say Winchester Ranger. In my opinion, that is not good for a carry ammo. A couple years ago a deer was hit but still needed to be dispatched. A MA state trooper finished it. I had possession of the deer and while skinning, I saw what I thought was a piece of plastic car trim just under the skin and against a rib. It turned out to be the projectile from the shot. I was surprised at how little penatration there was. That's where View attachment 850411my opinion on Ranger ammo comes from. To me that was a real world testing scenario.
View attachment 850410
Was that bullet found on the side the deer was shot on, or the opposite side? To me, that looks like a bullet that expanded on it's way through the body cavity and was stopped from exiting by the skin on the other side.

Yes found on the shot side against a rib.
Ranger is not noticeably different than the rest of the premium JHPs out there when it comes to penetration and expansion. I'm a little surprised that the bullet managed to start opening in the skin before smacking into the rib that stopped it, but only a little. Once it opened, there's no way it's making it through a rib. Ammo companies have put a lot of work into defensive bullets that open at lower velocities and quicker after seeing incidents where bullets didn't expand at all, and I think this was what you were looking at. It was, after all, a bullet design that is optimized for people.

I'd file this one under "All pistols suck, get a rifle or shotgun". :)

Lol. He has no clue what he carries in his own piece.

In case anyone was still thinking that all cops are "gun guys."
Nope. Granted he just transferred to another town a month ago. He is more a car guy than a gun guy. Not that I'm saying he doesn't like guns.

Last edited:
It’s not like he has a choice of ammo, so why even bother asking? I never knew until I was issued new ammo to rotate out the old crap.

From a department point of view, it's better in the case of an officer involved shooting that the ammo they used matches the ammo they qualified with. Fewer angles for the lawyers to work on that way.

It’s not like he has a choice of ammo, so why even bother asking? I never knew until I was issued new ammo to rotate out the old crap.

Why would an officer understand what kind of gas their cruiser runs on? What kind of battery's in their radio?

Maybe I'm just a little too "Army" for this kind of discussion. I dunno. I guess I just think a professional should know the tools of his trade.

Federal HST is the only one I know of. That dept. used to carry +P but decided the extra velocity wasn't worth the wear and tear so they went to standard pressure.

I will also say Winchester Ranger. In my opinion, that is not good for a carry ammo. A couple years ago a deer was hit but still needed to be dispatched. A MA state trooper finished it. I had possession of the deer and while skinning, I saw what I thought was a piece of plastic car trim just under the skin and against a rib. It turned out to be the projectile from the shot. I was surprised at how little penatration there was. That's where View attachment 850411my opinion on Ranger ammo comes from. To me that was a real world testing scenario.
View attachment 850410
A deer is not a great analog for a human. Did you see the entire wound track? Did it hit bone or anything on its way to its resting place? What was the caliber and bullet weight?

Back
Top Bottom