• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Improper storage examples by LEO

Eons ago - 25 years ago - St. Pete officer left his MP5K on the roof of his patrol car. No lie. WTF does a St. Pete ossifer need an MP5K for in the first place????? Who authorized that stupidity? Imagine him showing up to a house raid like he was Martin Riggs or something. LOL

The news had all sorts of reports that if it was returned, no questions would be asked. LOL

Doesn't appear he lost his LTC

A few instances in this article.

"Chief Michael Botieri says the gun was recovered on Wednesday afternoon, but did not say how it was tracked down. He tells The Patriot Ledger his department would not be seeking criminal charges and the case is considered closed. The gun had not been fired."

In semi related fashion, in MA - when you're driving, what does a firearm in your "direct control" mean? If you don't want it digging into your belly fat and have it in a holster secured on a pack inside a man purse on a passenger seat, is that still 'direct control'?

In semi related fashion, in MA - when you're driving, what does a firearm in your "direct control" mean? If you don't want it digging into your belly fat and have it in a holster secured on a pack inside a man purse on a passenger seat, is that still 'direct control'?
There's a court case on this.

I think I have it saved, but if you're alone in a car it's always under your direct control, as it could not be under anyone elses.

There's a court case on this.

I think I have it saved, but if you're alone in a car it's always under your direct control, as it could not be under anyone elses.
Until you are asked to get out of the car for officer safety and leave your backpack unattended in the passenger seat...

Nope.

remember a recruit left an m16 leaning against a tree during training in woods at fort devens . heard it was turned in by a civilian, would not have been me
Hell no.
images

I don’t know. If it is on your person then it is under your control. If it is off your person then the best anyone can say is “maybe”. I won’t bet my freedom on “maybe”.

Off-body carry has lots of downsides. Keep it in a holster on your person. If it is not on your person, then unloaded and locked in a container, if possible out of sight.

Last edited:

"Chief Michael Botieri says the gun was recovered on Wednesday afternoon, but did not say how it was tracked down. He tells The Patriot Ledger his department would not be seeking criminal charges and the case is considered closed. The gun had not been fired."

Can you imagine if you or I did that?

"safe storage" bullshit is probably tied with 209A ROs as the "#1 way an average LTC holder " gets their life f***ed up". It's rarely any of the other things discussed around here. Maybe CUI as a distant 2nd or 3rd.

"safe storage" bullshit is probably tied with 209A ROs as the "#1 way an average LTC holder " gets their life f***ed up". It's rarely any of the other things discussed around here. Maybe CUI as a distant 2nd or 3rd.
Thank the Fudds for supporting such storage laws “cuz muh flintlock is only needed til 1786”

Thank the Fudds for supporting such storage laws “cuz muh flintlock is only needed til 1786”
support or not - it is secondary, but, a most typical situation will be simply fixing a tire on a curb, with a friendly neighborhood gestapo to stop by and peek inside and see a case.
the evil is in how the performance of those officers is assessed and what goals they are given, not in what general public may or may not support after being properly brainwashed.

not sure if you roll federal agencies into your scope

Wasn’t there a case about 8 years ago or thereabouts where a cop came home from work and left his service handgun on the kitchen table and his kid picked up the gun and used it to commit suicide? I remember being on Facebook when it happened and questioned the PD on FB about whether the officer would be charge with violating unsafe storage laws and man a number of cops in that city jumped on me for daring to ask that question. You know ‘rules for thee but none for me’ BS we usually get from our wonderful government.

I remember reading many reports of guns stolen out of cops personal vehicles parked (gun not secured) in news stories back 8-15 yrs ago. I just can't point to any specific instance.

Back
Top Bottom