• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Flint man becomes first person charged under Michigan's new gun storage law

Personally for me....I did both. Kids have moments of stupidity no matter how much you teach them. That's my opinion.
Agree. Neither age or teaching can stop stupidity.

You need to fail safe it. When I had little kids in the house. My guns were locked up to some degree or another or on me.

No amount of freedom was worth one of my kids having a gun accident because I was stupid and left something out.

Not that you can leave anything out in MA anyway.

So let me get this straight.

The US government can accidentally shoot down a commercial airliner and kill 290 innocent people, and no one gets charged with any crime. They got medals in fact if so remember.

But a civilian who has an accident, oh yeah, you go to jail.

Our government needs to be put down like a rabid dog.
The rest of the story explains the total disregard for for firearms safety around children.
Convicted felon, illegally in possession of two handguns. 99% of the time when a child gets hold of a gun and shoots a sibling or themselves, at least one of the parents has a lengthy rap sheet and multiple felony convictions.
In this case, the safe storage violation is a pile on charge. So not a case on which a challenge to the safe storage could be launched.
There was a much better case to challenge such laws in MA. A man had a heart attack while cleaning his guns. Wife called 911. The man having the cardiac episode did not properly lock his guns before EMS arrived. He was later charged with a violation of MA safe storage law.

Personally for me....I did both. Kids have moments of stupidity no matter how much you teach them. That's my opinion.
I do both. Especially as a father of teenagers. It is not only your own kids you are protecting. It is any other kids your kids might invite into your home (when you are home or when you are not) who may or may not have been taught to respect the damage a gun can do in ignorant or evil hands.

Surprised Biden didn't make Connecticut's Ethan's Law the law of the land. If you have kids under 18 in the home, you'd have to lock up your guns unloaded, stripped down to the pins, mags unloaded and locked in another safe in a different room in the house and ammo also locked in another safe.

It's another "if we only had another law" syndrome. If he left dozens of buckets of water laying around and she fell in and drowned, he could be charged with reckless endangerment or something. Same if he left his scary-sharp chef's knife collection laying around the playpen. But if it's with a gun, we need an EXTRA Killy law that will stop people from. . . . doing what they were gonna do regardless of the previous law.

It's a feel-good measure that makes gun-grabbers think they are "winning." The guy would be charged with something regardless.
This ×1000. Even in the most gun friendly state in America the guy would likely be charged. "Safe storage" laws aren't about safety, they are about expanding PP Status.

Surprised Biden didn't make Connecticut's Ethan's Law the law of the land. If you have kids under 18 in the home, you'd have to lock up your guns unloaded, stripped down to the pins, mags unloaded and locked in another safe in a different room in the house and ammo also locked in another safe.
Except a 15 year old can be licensed to have access to the non-high capacity long guns.

God or no god, people were leaving their loaded EDCs laying around for kids to find during the AK build party in 2015. You gotta help God out a little bit on that one. I imagine this is the same shit.
I was at the AK build party and am sad I didn’t get to see anything laying around, if I had I would have gladly picked them up to keep everyone safe

That man, is a very stupid man and I'm glad I'm not the one that has to live with the consequences of that stupidity, I pity him in the sense that I myself would go insane.

I've always kept my firearms locked up and put up when my sons were younger. Not so much a concern anymore as they all have their LTC's and there are no small ones to worry about but still, I don't leave any lying around if it's not on me or close to me unless I'm on a cleaning marathon or other valid reason. What I don't need is any damn law telling me what to do in my own home but then again, I do feel I have enough common sense to be treated as an adult. Such a law is just one more thing to hamstring me on possibly at some point where the government should just keep their beak where it belongs, up their ass with the rest of their head.

While i agree we should all teach our children "gun safety ", id like to hear Masaad tell us how to teach a two year old.......
Notice how he skipped over it and went to 5 years old. Still...... like we can trust 5 year olds with deadly weapons because we taught them something a few times....yeah OK.

Most of the time it wasn't my kids I was worried about but someone else's kids.....you cannot teach everyone that may be in the house though your kids childhood and teens.

Lock them up with no access, or carry them on yourself, and be done with it. Sorry.....its just the way it is for me. Don't need any law for that. Its how my dad operated our house when i was a kid......and so did I.

Its how my kids will as well. Even at my daughters in SC, no kids in her place...most stuff is still in the safe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom