• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Improper gun storage

I was thinking more of that park near the Church of All Nations. There are lots of homeless people in that whole area and one of them could have easily picked it up.

Thats what I think is called Norton park, I may be wrong - but that is the park I was referring to.

Worst part about this whole thing is this guy talked himself into trouble. There are a 100 ways he could have
handled this and he wouldn't be facing criminal charges right now.

-Mike

Last edited:
Clearly not the best thinking in the world, but only in the PRM and similarly thinking states would this have been in any way a CRIME.

In Free America the cops would have told him he was a dumbshit and moved on to more pressing matters, like the guy who shot a 43-y/o father of a gangmember on his porch in a drive-by recently in my town (albeit in a "predictable" part of town.)

I disagree. In many jurisdictions this would have resulted in more than just being called a dumbshit by the cops. Some of them even in what you refer to as "free America".

Thats what I think is called Norton park, I may be wrong - but that is the park I was referring to.

I never knew it's name, just the park near the church. It's a haven for homeless people and probably others with ill intent. I don't know if you remember, but the church itself was used as a shelter some years back. Then apparently the people who ran it got fed up or something, because they stopped and it went back to being a church.

The bush should have turned in the gun to the authorities and saved it from this guy's stupidity. He should lose his license and I'm sure we all hope that gun isn't used to hurt anyone. It's scum like him that gives us all a bad name. That poor LC9! [thinking]

I disagree. In many jurisdictions this would have resulted in more than just being called a dumbshit by the cops. Some of them even in what you refer to as "free America".

Only if he was dumb enough to run his mouth to the police.

-Mike

The bush should have turned in the gun to the authorities and saved it from this guy's stupidity. He should lose his license and I'm sure we all hope that gun isn't used to hurt anyone. It's scum like him that gives us all a bad name. That poor LC9! [thinking]

Assuming you're not being ironic, I'm always amazed at NESers who wish to see the police revoke LTCs as punishment.

Assuming you're not being ironic, I'm always amazed at NESers who wish to see the police revoke LTCs as punishment.

I was only joking about the bush part. This was probably not the first time he has done something careless related to firearms. I don't wish anyone to get their LTC's revoked unless it was clear that he/she was really doing something wrong. The process to get a unrestricted Class A LTC in this state is hard enough and if he was completely careless and selfish maybe this would not have happened. The law will decide what to do with him from here but IMHO, he should definitely get his LTC revoked.

The law will decide what to do with him from here but IMHO, he should definitely get his LTC revoked.

Apparently this is going to be another out yourself thread. [thinking] What he did was really stupid, but hardly worthy of being called a criminal act worthy of revoking someone's rights over.

-Mike

I suppose you're right. But still, I hold myself pretty high in regards to gun safety and storage. While I am CCW, I would never hide a gun in any area and would never go into any nightclub while CCW. I guess this story just shocked me and maybe a LTC suspension might be more of a fit punishment.

ColdDayInHell said:
I suppose you're right. But still, I hold myself pretty high in regards to gun safety and storage. While I am CCW, I would never hide a gun in any area and would never go into any nightclub while CCW. I guess this story just shocked me and maybe a LTC suspension might be more of a fit punishment.

Or maybe we could pass a storage law, because morons and criminals always follow the law.

Found 2 .22 casings and flushed them down the toilet. I thought of throwing them in the trash but figured if they ever got found by a janitor, the entire airport would have gone on lockdown.

[rofl] +1 to you man. That must have sucked. And thanks for flushing them, too. You are totally right that a complete lock down would have occurred.

For breaking what law exactly?

It's only states with "safe storage" laws where this is in any way a crime. that's a very small number of places. If a kid had found it and shot himself, there would be issues, but that didn't happen.

How about someone at the herald do a bit of proofreading before they post.

The article seems like it was written by a 10 year old...

How about someone at the herald do a bit of proofreading before they post.

The article seems like it was written by a 10 year old...

Most articles in the Herald read that way. At least the ones written by Herald staff, the wire service articles (most of the content) has a better quality of writing if not of content.

Which he obviously was. I don't know that that would change in a different venue.

The difference is in a different venue they would have had to charge him with some sort of weird law that has nothing to do with safe storage, because free america doesn't have storage regulations. I can legally store a gun in a sewer drain in NH if I want to, regardless of the fact that it is a terminally stupid idea. At that point if the police wanted to charge him on something they'd have to use some other law that has little or nothing to do with guns. For example, if it was in a public park or something they might try to argue that he supplied minors with a firearm because some kids saw him stash it in a bush or something like that. They'd basically have to go WAY out of their way to prosecute him, and odds are pretty good that it would fail.

Bear in mind that in free states guns aren't really treated as not much different than a bottle of booze in terms of storage (and some states, even less than that) absent some special circumstances surrounding the location of the object. Like Bill Nance says, some states have child endangerment laws and that's about it, and most of them are only incident related- like a kid shooting someone with a gun they found, etc. Even in those cases whether or not someone gets charged depends on the level of vicarious liability style of determination going on. For example a handgun locked up in a car would not fall under this, but leaving a gun in the junk drawer in a house known to be occupied by minors, might, if, and only if, something bad happens.

-Mike

Last edited:
All true, but he could still be charged with some crime. I just don't know enough about the various state laws to say which one. The other big difference, and perhaps the bigger difference, is that in other states he might have his concealed carry permit suspended or revoked, but that would not affect his right to purchase and possess firearms. It might not even effect his right to open carry.

My point is that I don't think this would be totally ignored in many jurisdictions as Bill seems to.

The difference is in a different venue they would have had to charge him with some sort of weird law that has nothing to do with safe storage, because free america doesn't have storage regulations. I can legally store a gun in a sewer drain in NH if I want to, regardless of the fact that it is a terminally stupid idea. At that point if the police wanted to charge him on something they'd have to use some other law that has little or nothing to do with guns. For example, if it was in a public park or something they might try to argue that he supplied minors with a firearm because some kids saw him stash it in a bush or something like that. They'd basically have to go WAY out of their way to prosecute him, and odds are pretty good that it would fail.

Bear in mind that in free states guns aren't really treated as not much different than a bottle of booze in terms of storage (and some states, even less than that) absent some special circumstances surrounding the location of the object. Like Bill Nance says, some states have child endangerment laws and that's about it, and most of them are only incident related- like a kid shooting someone with a gun they found, etc. Even in those cases whether or not someone gets charged depends on the level of vicarious liability style of determination going on. For example a handgun locked up in a car would not fall under this, but leaving a gun in the junk drawer in a house known to be occupied by minors, might, if, and only if, something bad happens.

-Mike

Does no one else have a problem with the fact that he stashed a loaded gun at a playground? Most days I think that MA laws are a bit restrictive (ESP compared to my native FL), but in this case, I believe he should lose his right to own guns. God forbid its a kid that took it, and he hurts himself or someon else.

Does no one else have a problem with the fact that he stashed a loaded gun at a playground? Most days I think that MA laws are a bit restrictive (ESP compared to my native FL), but in this case, I believe he should lose his right to own guns. God forbid its a kid that took it, and he hurts himself or someon else.

Great. Another out yourself thread.

I'm always surprised at how many people are so quick to want to take away someone else's constitutional rights for the rest of their lives, even though no one got hurt. One of these days I'll get it. [thinking]

All true, but he could still be charged with some crime. I just don't know enough about the various state laws to say which one. The other big difference, and perhaps the bigger difference, is that in other states he might have his concealed carry permit suspended or revoked, but that would not affect his right to purchase and possess firearms. It might not even effect his right to open carry.

My point is that I don't think this would be totally ignored in many jurisdictions as Bill seems to.

FIND ME A CASE IN WA STATE WHERE SOMEONE WAS CHARGED WITH A CRIME AND CONVICTED ON WHAT THIS GUY DID.

You can rationalize all you want to. In most states, he would have been charged with NOTHING. He would have got an ass-reaming he'll never forget by the local PD for felony dumbassery and that would be that.

This is NOT an issue in free states absent other incidences, like kid shooting himself with the gun said dipshit left under a bush. You are WRONG. Get over it.

All true, but he could still be charged with some crime. I just don't know enough about the various state laws to say which one.

In most free states you would have had to execute what I would call a "prosecutorial hack job" to convict the guy of a crime, particularly if nobody was hurt as a result of him planting the gun somewhere. Hell in many free states there is no legal obligation to report lost or stolen guns, which brings me back to the whole running his mouth thing.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom