• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If Obama is Elected, What are YOU buying?

Cool! I'm being graded! Sorry to tick you off so completely.

It's not specifically you, it's the general indifference towards citizenship; our national cancer of apathy if you will, that bothers me. You were simply emblematic in the moment.

That wasn't my intention.

Of course not. It's just how you feel and it's your right to feel that way and express it in the manner you see fit.

I am after all entitled to my opinion, pursuant to an amendment that came before the second.

Indeed. I'm quite a fan of the entire Bill of Rights. Ipso facto, I see no reason to interpret any one of them in anything but the most expansive terms. We are talking about fundamental rights here. More is always better.

I understand what you are saying abut my being a bit lilly-livered IE "disappointed" and I s'pose you are right there.

My point was not to give you a high tech bitch slap to make myself feel better. My point was too....

I can accept that.

...Get you to think about your position so that you never again say "I can accept that" to anyone who advocates reducing your rights or the rights of any other American individual or group.

I don't think it was a subjugation though, nor a missive for that matter. More a simple point of view. Hard to convey how one feels entirely in a few paragraphs.

It is hard to do that. And yes, the point of view is simple.

By the way, I'd prefer Zappa too. I suspect we have more in common than you may think.

That's possible. Though I expect we may disagree on areas of personal liberty and collective rights.

Whether I agree or disagree with you, I would never grade you or impugn your view point.

It appears that I am not as nice as you are.

Interesting you would have me move to Cuba for voicing an opinion.

If you read my statement carefully you'll see that the emphasis in not on you leaving, it's on you leaving and making way for someone who understands the value of being a citizen to come here and make a life.

No, I would dismiss you to Cuba for you willingness to be so negligent, so Laissez-faire with the Bill of Rights as if you, personally, had the right to be so cavalier with that which hundreds of thousands of Americans before you died protecting.

Last edited:
If Mr. Commie is elected, I'll buy as much of everything as I can. First of all, a few more guns and LOTS of ammo.
Just asked a friend of mine this question today. His answer was a ticket to the whatever God-forgotten super-remote land.

Nothing, beacuse I'm stuck with an FID card until Oct'09.

Wonderbread, what are you talking about? There are plenty of mil-surp stuff you can get with that. For starters, if you don't have an M1 Garand, that should be your FIRST purchase. What about a Lee Enfield? Or an SKS? a Mosin-Nagant? All of them are "low capacity", all of them are supremely capable battle rifles (well, maybe except for the SKS with it's medium range cartridge), and most of them have surplus ammo available for them. Not too sure about the Enfield, though... getting tough to find .303, I understand.

If you're not a member of GOAL, you should be - as well as being the only friend you've got on Bacon Hill, they're a CMP organization, so membership there is proof of marksmanship activity and you can order that M1.

If you're not a member of GOAL, you can get the same certificate that will let you order from the CMP by attending an Appleseed Shoot. By a wondrous coincidence, there's an Appleseed Shoot this weekend in East Granby, CT - look for the thread in the Appleseed Rifle Training forum for the Hartford shoot. You can even shoot it with a Ruger 10/22 - you DO have a .22 rifle, right? If not, why not? And that can be one of your purchases, too.

OH MAN! Don't let Milsurps 4 Me catch you dissin' his rifles.....
All I'm sayin' is that if it's an SKS against a guy with an Enfield, M1 or Mosin, the guy with the SKS is going to be dead before he gets in range to shoot back. It's a reliable medium range rifle, and I'm thinking of getting one at some point.

You're making the assumption that he won't try for confiscation. I know, that's not allowed in this free country.

It's a pretty wise assumption considering that the antis would lose by default if it was ever attempted in an overt manner. Think of the political fallout of Ruby Ridge + Waco and amplify that by an exponential factor. As sad as it is, that kind of thing would actually be a windfall for us because it would cause a lot of people to get pissed off, really fast.

Unfortunately, Snobama is not that dumb. Incrementalist policy is far more likely to succeed, and people like him, Hitlery, Swinestine, etc, know it. That's why they come up with convoluted incremental bans in order to try to pull the wool over the eyes of the masses- these guys are adept at figuring out how to steal the radio from you while you're still listening to it by turning up the volume while they're walking away with it.

-Mike

I am not an alarmist, and I am reaching the point where I think neither the Dems or the GOP are worth a bucket of spit. I don't think much is going to happen if Obama is elected president in the short run, but then I thought Dub-ya was going to be pretty much a one term president with an uneventful term of office. So, one never knows. I am more concerned about the far reaching effects of an Obama adminstration, who he might appoint to the Supreme Court and how this will affect us. DC vs Heller was too slim a margin in my book and the Court has reversed itself frequently.

From my perspective, acting in a prudent manner should be the number one priority. Major social upheaval seems unlikely, although this could change rapidly if we face a real crisis caused by fuel shortages, economic depression or natural catastrophe. The Russians are worrisome, but then so are the Chinese in a different context. The crisis in the Middle East will grind on and on with no real solution in sight. Even when we pull out of Iraq, we will be repeatedly drawn back into that region because of our own self-interest with regard to oil, and because of our support of Israel. It is unavoidable.

Will things, get worse? Probably so...but probably not overnight.

As a precaution, I am going to continue stockpiling ammunition for the firearms I currently own, and contemplate at this point purchasing something in 7.62 NATO like an M1A. I have a .308 but it is a bolt action sporter.

My two euros or yuan (or whatever the new world standard currency is going to be),

Mark L.

Last edited:
All I'm sayin' is that if it's an SKS against a guy with an Enfield, M1 or Mosin, the guy with the SKS is going to be dead before he gets in range to shoot back. It's a reliable medium range rifle, and I'm thinking of getting one at some point.

The 7.62x39 cartridge is reported to be effective to about 400 yards. I can't think of many instances of when I'd be shooting someone at that distance, especially given the urban enviorment where I live, or anywhere else I'd wind up.
Besides, if I ever had to shoot someone at a distance greater than 400 yards, I'd probably need a scope just to see them and I've got hear perfect vision.[thinking]

::cough::buy mine in classifieds::cough::

What would I buy..... I guess another evil looking gun or something. But that's pretty much anything to people like Obama.

So what you're saying is that it's the RIFLE that matters, not the skill, training, and self-discipline of the shooter.

IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING, MR. APPLESEED? IS IT? HUH?!!!

For shame, Ross. For shame.....

You may now make your apologies to Milsurps 4 Me and be on your way.

So what you're saying is that it's the RIFLE that matters, not the skill, training, and self-discipline of the shooter.

IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING, MR. APPLESEED? IS IT? HUH?!!!

For shame, Ross. For shame.....

You may now make your apologies to Milsurps 4 Me and be on your way.

The object in war is not to have the best weapon. The object is to kill the enemy and take HIS weapon.

+1

If Obama gets in say good by the the 2nd Amendment. Then the 1st Amendment will be gone. That will start with talk radio with the, so-called 'Fairness-Doctrine'. Soon, where you live and how much you make will be under vicious attack. Your hard earned dollars will go toward paying for the useless bastard factories that already steal 30% to 50% of our parchecks. You'll be giving 80% of your pay to fund and subsidize these dregs of society. If you are a business owner you will be punished for making too big of a profit. Then the feds will take the 'overage' and give it to the needy. You know, the ones that are too helpless to help themselves because they never had a chance in life because of the evil republicans and their capitalism. So we have to feel all sad for them and feel compelled to give them the extra money we make... While we struggle to put food on our plates, these poor victims will be rewarded with food stamps and a Cadilac to drive to the store. While we subsidize their Bed, Bath and Beyond purchases we get plastic milk crates and a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood to make a dinner table. And schooling... good luck tryting to get your son or daughter into an Ivy-League college. Remember, the down-trodden, Cadilac driving foodstamper gets first dibs.

Wasn't ther a Monty Python skit about this... Thomas Moore, steals from the rich and gives to the poor... Eventually he stole so much from the rich that the rich were now poor. It was funny when I was a kid, but now.. espcially now, I cry myself to sleep at night... just at the thought of an Obama-nation... [crying]

Forgive me for rambling... It's 1:44am. I've been up since 8:30am the previous morning chasing my 2 year old around. [coffee]

As far as what I AM going to buy. Bows and arrows. No registration for them! Well, that is untill they are labled 'Assault Bows'. Soon there will be legislation to limit it to 'One-Bow-A-Month', and Arrows will be rationed out. The bow will need to imprint a micro-stamp on the arrow so that it can be tracked. If you lose an arrow in the woods you have to report it to the local, state, and federal authourities as well as three written letters to each, overnighted. Not to mention you need to appear in front of the UN to formally appologize...

Here I go again... sorry... must switch to decaff...

Besides, if I ever had to shoot someone at a distance greater than 400 yards, I'd probably need a scope just to see them and I've got hear perfect vision.[thinking]

you should be able to see a person at 500m and hit them with iron sights with a full sized rifle like the m16 for instance. the marines do it all the time.
the army does 300m without any problems.

Last edited:
I am not an alarmist, and I am reaching the point where I think neither the Dems or the GOP are worth a bucket of spit.
I am more concerned about the far reaching effects of an Obama adminstration, who he might appoint to the Supreme Court and how this will affect us. DC vs Heller was too slim a margin in my book and the Court has reversed itself frequently.
The Russians are worrisome, but then so are the Chinese in a different context. The crisis in the Middle East will grind on and on with no real solution in sight. Even when we pull out of Iraq, we will be repeatedly drawn back into that region because of our own self-interest with regard to oil, and because of our support of Israel. It is unavoidable.

I agree with Mark. Both choices suck but in the mid- to long-term Obama is definitely worse owing to the impact that he may have on Supreme Court appointments and substantially ramping up the re-distributionist nature of tax policy.

While it is prudent to be prepared, I don't believe that we'll be facing any major kind of social unrest. Foreign entanglements with Russia or China would probably be the gravest threat as both are on the ascendancy and looking to flex their muscles.

The sole upside of an Obama administration (in a very small, near-term sense) may be that he appears to be more of a namby pamby when it comes to foreign policy than McCain so we may win some short term relief as he re-positions the US as more of an isolationist than an interventionist. Dramatically restricting our engagement in foreign conflicts and cutting back funding for ideological campaigns may leave more money for his laundry list of social programs.

Of course the folly of that approach is that in a decade or so, having given both Russia and China a tremendous amount of lattitude by substantially withdrawing from the global military and political scene, they will likely be in a position to seriously kick our ass both directly and indirectly and substantially undermine our global influence. We will become England at last and have to decide whether to nurse at the teat of the Bear or the Chinaman.

McCain is a better choice but as a social libreral I'm not to happy with his positions on abortion, gay marriage, etc. most of which seem designed to mollify and retain the religious right.

Either way we will be ignoring the fiscal catastrophe that is Medicaid/Medicare and Social Security. Now when that bill comes due in a decade or two there will most certainly be social unrest.

First +1 to you Bolton guy for a well thought out post.

This thread is now long enough that I've moved past rhetoric and on to talking about AR15 striped lowers. I was checking out the DPMS lowers at 4-Seasons the other day. I also added Blue to "Friends of Holly" (top line right). 4-Seasons has them for $129- I think. Stag's can be had from several places for $125. I think that there would also be a bit of a run on them. I don't remember the 94 ban. Perhaps someone with a direct recollection of how that happened could expand on the subject and discuss lead time, parts availability and such.

Naturally, there would be a real run on all pre-ban mags. Imagine having to share the market for pre-bans with all of the other previously "ban-free" states all of a sudden.

Last edited:
you should be able to see a person at 500m and hit them with iron sights with a full sized rifle like the m16 for instance. the marines do it all the time.
the army does 300m without any problems.

It doesn't matter. If I ever have to use my rifles against another human being, my first choice sure as hell won't be a Mosin, Enfield, or even Garand for that matter.

I would buy lots and lots of ammo. I have enough platforms to shoot them out of, but another 10,000 .22s, a couple or more cases of 9mm and .45 cal, and as many cases of .223 as I could afford would be my first priority. Next would be shotgun shells and .308. I don't think you can have too much short of breaking fire laws.

Spare parts kits and parts for my M15s would be next. Lots of little springs and things that tend to wear out, magazines. Extractors and magazines for my pistols.

I think the anti's are going to try an end around to eliminate ammo, more so than guns at first.

I also think if our social situation ever really hits the fan, ammo and components will be the newest and best trade bait for ANYTHING you want.

I know we all say we'll never have enough guns, but once you have a good battery of 10 or 20, you've pretty much covered yourself. More than that is a margin of more safety, and trade bait that will be far more valuble than money. Water, food, medicine and self defense will be the priorities.

IF Obama does get elected, ammo will be the first thing targeted. Terms like Mil Spec and steel core will become household names to every Jane and John Doe anti out there in an effort to eliminate ammo used by any military organization which could easily lead to a ban on centerfire all together.

To be honest and get back on track with this thread... It makes sense to start getting reloading supplies and stock up for what we have.

If Obama gets in, I am seriously going to look at land in Scotland whether my wife will go or not.

If I am going to live in a gun control country, I am going to enjoy the scenery.

Back
Top Bottom