Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

MA does NOT recognize the 2nd Amendment, period!
It's worse than that - there are a string of decisions esablishing that it is not a right in MA. The also has been cited in other cases when the courts explained that LTC issuance/revocation appealants are not entitled to the level of due process that would be applied when removing a right or liberty from an individual.

“Give me a kid who’s into hunting and fishing and I will give you a kid who’s not doing crack cocaine down on a street corner,” said Sen. Stephen Brewer (D-Barre).

That suprised me. Democrats in this state don't usually publicly express logical thinking.

Emailed my Rep and Senator this AM, and also emailed a brief note of thanks to Rep. Guyer. They're both pretty good on gun issues (Walrath and Antonioni, respectively) but unfortunately both have decided not to run for re-election.

Hey leave the poor Governor alone.He needs more money to buy a new Caddilac and those $50,000.00 drapes in his office are getting old.

Emailed my Rep and Senator this morning also.

Already heard back from my Rep. Anne Gobi that she was joining other legislators in opposing those sections.

Let's hope 'relative' sanity will prevail and we get to keep our already too high fees over the proposed fees. <insert sarcastic mannerism here>

Got a personal response back from Denis Guyer about 5 minutes after I sent my email thanking him. Oh yeah, he's a different breed of legislator all right. Too bad we don't have a lot more like him.

Got a personal response back from Denis Guyer about 5 minutes after I sent my email thanking him. Oh yeah, he's a different breed of legislator all right. Too bad we don't have a lot more like him.

+1 I thanked him as well.

I moved to RI a few months ago. I was planning to get my non resident license because there is a MA range I would rather like to go to.

Because of this proposal I decided not to.

Congratulations Deval, you just lost $100 in revenue per year.

this is illegal period!

No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor." --Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105, US Supreme Court, 1943.

The U.S. Supreme Court broadly and unequivocally held that requiring licensing or registration of any constitutional right is itself unconstitutional. --Follett vs. Town of McCormick, S.C., 321 U.S. 573 [1944]

this needs to be fought. if it passes, we need to FIGHT IT! the fees are illegal as it is now... rasing them only increases the unjustified "fee"

I hope you all have your teabags ready to mail!

Since we're now charging fees for our constitutional rights perhaps we should send Governor Patrick a bill for exercising his first amendment rights to express this proposal. [wink]

Also, did anyone else find it interesting that he filed this on a Sunday? What governmental offices are usually ever open on a Sunday?? Was he that desperate to get this filed that he made everyone involved come into work on their day off?

Last edited:
LenS said:
licensing was basically acceptable. It tells us how they would look upon a complaint about fees/licenses.

Licensing might be acceptable, but no mention was made of fees.

As long as there are no "undue burdens" I'm not that opposed to licensing (though as policy, I think it silly). Fees and delay are burdens.

Last edited:
I am going to write up petition tonight for my gun club to sign. I will post it up here so if anyone wants to print it and have there club sign also. Signatures and phone calls do matter. I am down for the protest I just need a ride as I am physically handycap and cant drive. If this bill is pasted it will really hurt people like me that are on disability and only make $800 a month. We the people really need to make sure this does not get passed!

Now that Heller has established that the 2A as an individual right, what are the chances of getting a class action suit going against the state to recover the illegally collected license fees for the past several years?

Now that Heller has established that the 2A as an individual right, what are the chances of getting a class action suit going against the state to recover the illegally collected license fees for the past several years?

i think that the court would find that collecting "A" fee would be acceptable...

however, looking at many other states... i would not hesitate to say that MA is one of if not the highest in the nation... and this is a completely unjustified fee at $100.00 let alone $200.00!

My letter:
--------------
I am writing about the Governor's proposed increases in license fees. In particular, I am concerned about the fees associated with firearms permits and dealer licensing. The Governor is once again attempting to restrict and limit the abilities of law-abiding gun owners by making the exercise of our right financially oppressive.

When Governor Romney was in office licenses fees were quadrupled while the license expiration date was cut by a year. Recent legislation just succeeded in restoring the expiration date, providing some needed relief. The current proposed increase would invalidate that progress and more than double the financial obligation of license holders.

It is my belief that license fees should cover the expense involved in creating the license. The state should use other tax avenues to raise income when needed. I urge you to support Rep Guyer and his amendments to strike these increases from the budget. Despite Governor Patrick's pretense, the fee increases do little to provide revenue to the state, do nothing to directly address (or support) the cost of licensing, and instead impose a severe burden on lawful gunowners and dealers who are exercising their constitutional rights. These fees are as oppressive as a poll tax and should be cast aside just as quickly.

Thank you,

Licensing might be acceptable, but no mention was made of fees.

As long as there are no "undue burdens" I'm not that opposed to licensing (though as policy, I think it silly). Fees and delay areburdens.

Good point, I have never thought of that. I can see if they charged a fee for the cost of the physical license and processing or whatever that stuff might amount to, then they might have a point. The actual right shall not be taxed or placed a fee upon. And $200.00 for the cost of the license or even $100.00 to me sounds a little high.

Good point, I have never thought of that. I can see if they charged a fee for the cost of the physical license and processing or whatever that stuff might amount to, then they might have a point. The actual right shall not be taxed or placed a fee upon. And $200.00 for the cost of the license or even $100.00 to me sounds a little high.

Maybe if it was gold-plated! Get a little value out of the Commonwealth before it goes financially bankrupt. [wink]

Just wrote my state rep a nice email. He lives a few houses down from me and if he wants more reasons why this "Special Appropriations" bullshit bill is ridiculous, come on over, the coffee is ready

here is the thing about Mass.

With the Heller decision I think it can be argued that the CLEO 'suitability' determination can be construed as unconstitutional. Since Heller v. DC set law that 2A is an individual right and there are no set guidelines to follow to determine suitability, it can be argued that the 'may issue' in a state like Mass is unconstitutional, as you are in essence ASKING the State gov't to exercise what can now be claimed as a right protected under the US. Constitution.

Back
Top Bottom