Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

GOAL

NES Member
http://www.goal.org/news/Legislative/DevalLicenseTax.htm

Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

On Sunday July, 13, 2008 Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick filed a special appropriations bill for fiscal year 2008. (As of the filing of this report, the bill had not yet received a number.) Within this bill sections 24 - 27 drastically increase certain firearm licenses.

Sections 24 & 25 attack lawfully licensed firearm dealers by increasing their license fees from $100 for three years to $250. Then it adds a $100 inspection fee in years two and three of the license. This tactic would now turn a $100 three year dealer's license into a $450 three year license.

Section 26 would increase a resident License to Carry fee from $100 for six years to $200 for six years.

Section 27 would increase a non-resident License to Carry fee from $100 for one year to $250 for one year.

"In light of the recent Supreme Court ruling, this new proposal from the Governor can only be viewed as an attempt to tax people out of their civil rights," said Jim Wallace Executive Director of GOAL. "With this new proposal, the Governor continues to demonstrate his willingness to attack lawful gun owners while doing nothing to reduce violent crime. The highest court in the nation has ruled that citizens have an individual right to possess a firearm and now our Governor is trying to tax us out of that right!"

GOAL is urgently requesting that our members contact their local representatives and senators immediately and ask them to make sure this ridiculous tax on our rights does not pass into law.

An Act Making Appropriations for the Fiscal Year 2008 to Provide for Supplementing Certain Existing Appropriations and for Certain Other Activities and Projects

CHSB ";“ License to Carry Fee -1

SECTION 24. Section 122 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 28, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $250.

CHSB ";“ Annual Dealer License Fee

SECTION 25. Said section 122 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the word " Fund.";, in line 33, the following sentence:- Each year in which a license holder need not apply for a license renewal, the license holder shall pay to the licensing authority a license inspection fee of $100.

CHSB ";“ License to Carry Fee ";“ 2

SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 240, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $200.

CHSB ";“ Non Residential Firearms License Fee

SECTION 27. Section 131F of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 53, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $250.

Good God, will you guys ever get a reprieve?

Do we need a second American Revolution to start where the first one did?

This is getting out of f-ing control.....

It's obvious they are trying to legislate out gun ownership in MA...

It's also obvious that he needs sources to fund all his social programs and he's taking a page out of Romney's play-book (remember: he was the one who jumped it from $25 to $100, even the legistraitors only asked to push it to $75).

I'm not at all surprised at this news.

Thats DISCRIMINATION!

Thats DISCRIMINATION!

Massachusetts is trying to DISCRIMINATE against working class Americans that can no afford discresionary expences such as licence fees to vadidate their constitutional rights.

It is Clear that to segragate one Constitutional Amednment into unproportional taxiation is the act of a political biggott.

We have many other rights that if infridged upon by a goverment official would be cause for public outrage.

These Polititions are creating a goverment where only the wealty get the privlages that were helt to be Self Evidant to All Americans.

This is Taxation without Representation!

I am a MINORITY.

I am a White, ,Working Class, Veteran and I want my Rights!

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms
Amendment 3 - Quartering of Soldiers
Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure
Amendment 5 - Trial and Punishment, Compensation for Takings
Amendment 6 - Right to Speedy Trial, Confrontation of Witnesses
Amendment 7 - Trial by Jury in Civil Cases
Amendment 8 - Cruel and Unusual Punishment
Amendment 9 - Construction of Constitution
Amendment 10 - Powers of the States and People
Amendment 11 - Judicial Limits
Amendment 12 - Choosing the President, Vice President
Amendment 13 - Slavery Abolished
Amendment 14 - Citizenship Rights
Amendment 15 - Race No Bar to Vote
Amendment 16 - Status of Income Tax Clarified
Amendment 17 - Senators Elected by Popular Vote
Amendment 18 - Liquor Abolished
Amendment 19 - Women's Suffrage
Amendment 20 - Presidential, Congressional Terms
Amendment 21 - Amendment 18 Repealed
Amendment 22 - Presidential Term Limits
Amendment 23 - Presidential Vote for District of Columbia
Amendment 24 - Poll Taxes Barred
Amendment 25 - Presidential Disability and Succession
Amendment 26 - Voting Age Set to 18 Years
Amendment 27 - Limiting Congressional Pay Increases

How do you like that Cup of Tea?

boston-tea-party.jpg

Last edited:
Deval spent a lot of time in NH during the primaries camapigning for Obama … no doubt he'll do the same during the general. Maybe we need to stage some kind of Open Carry protest next time he's scheduled to come up here … Would be nice for him to see armed protesters along the New Hampshire public roads his Cadillac would need to navigate to get from Mass to his destination.

Thoughts on my draft to my reps?

This act has yet to have a number attached, however, I cannot understate my objections to it.

I presume this is the first of many such fee increases since fees and taxes here never seem to go down, only up, even when the people speak though ballot initiative. Furthermore, the onerous nature of this fee increase can only be interpreted by myself to be designed to eliminate ownership of firearms in the Commonwealth, where a license is required for the mere possession of such firearms and even a single cartridge of ammunition. Is this how things are to be in the Commonwealth where liberty first shot back against oppression?

Which right shall we license and fee out of reach of the common man next, his right to speak his mind? A dangerous precedent to set, eliminating a right that some don't like. We continue to see gun violence increase on the nightly news in our cities and towns. All the myriad of gun control laws that the Commonwealth has passed in the recent years hasn't amounted to a dent in crime. This current act will further no end other than prohibition. If the Commonwealth is in dire need of funds, let it do what all others have to do: tighten its belt and stop giving public funds out as charity.

As a current license holder under Chapter 140 Section 131 and registered voter, I object to this fee increase. Should it pass, I will oppose the re-election of any that favor it. We citizens are not an endless checkbook for those on Beacon Hill to write checks against.

pdm, your posted draft doesn't reference the bill name. You might want to make it clearer by including the bill name and referencing the firearms related sections. I'm off to read the rest of the bill; I have a feeling there will be more to oppose than just the firearms related fees.

EDIT: The link to the full bill on the GOAL page doesn't work. I wasn't able to find it in a quick search of the mass.gov site, but I didn't look very hard. Jim, can you provide a fixed link?

Last edited:
pdm, your posted draft doesn't reference the bill name. You might want to make it clearer by including the bill name and referencing the firearms related sections. I'm off to read the rest of the bill; I have a feeling there will be more to oppose than just the firearms related fees.

Yeah, that's in the subject line to them, I c&p'ed it from GOAL's post/email. The text of the message is what I'm more concerned with.

Emails sent. My rep is GOAL endorsed and will likely do the right thing but my senator gets a D so probably not.

JOINING A GUN CLUB

I'm pissed. This is STUPID.

O.K. gang. I'm joining a gun club today.
And I'm urging my friends to join Goal.
And I'm just freaking sick of this.

I got my LTC A years ago, and suffered the $100 renewal.
Now they want $200?

VOTE AGAINST OBAMA (Deval clone).
VOTE AGAINST ANYONE who votes for this.

This is stupid.

By way of disclosure, I'm running for state rep. Against a rubber-stamp for the house leadership.

If they want a quick influx of money, why not repeal the gun control act of 1998?
I know a lot of people who would gladly fork over the money to get back the license they lost or never got due to some stupid misdemeanor, that due to a 2 1/2 year potential sentence (DUI for example) makes them forever prohibited in this state.

If they want a quick influx of money, why not repeal the gun control act of 1998?
I know a lot of people who would gladly fork over the money to get back the license they lost or never got due to some stupid misdemeanor, that due to a 2 1/2 year potential sentence (DUI for example) makes them forever prohibited in this state.

Or remove the AG list BS. I know I would buy alot of guns and boost the economy and add to tax revenue.

Called my State Senators office.
Called the Governors office 617 725-4005
Left message for my State Rep

Is there no end to this madness.

We need a rally on the common

Last edited:
Does anyone have a well written letter that I could "borrow" and submit? I am not as eloquent with words as I would like to be and my fear is that whatever I write is going to read like it was written by a 6 year-old.

Just called. The nice guy on the phone said he is starting to document these calls.

LETS GO GUYS HAMMER HIM!

****617 725-4005****

I can name two that I've seen as recently as saturday. That's $200.00 right there

Does anyone have a well written letter that I could "borrow" and submit? I am not as eloquent with words as I would like to be and my fear is that whatever I write is going to read like it was written by a 6 year-old.

I just manipulated the GOAL email, and forwarded it to my rep.

In light of the recent Supreme Court ruling, this new proposal from the Governor can only be viewed as an attempt to tax people out of their civil rights. With this new proposal, the Governor continues to demonstrate his willingness to attack lawful gun owners while doing nothing to reduce violent crime. The highest court in the nation has ruled that citizens have an individual right to possess a firearm and now our Governor is trying to tax us out of that right! I ask to please make sure this ridiculous tax on our rights does not pass into law. Thank you for your time and supporting the views and beliefs of the citizens you’ve been appointed to serve.

Called my State Senators office.
Called the Governors office 617 725-4005
Left message for my State Rep

Is there no end to this madness.

We need a rally on the common

When you call are you supposed to leave a name and address or anything like that or what?

When you call are you supposed to leave a name and address or anything like that or what?

He didn't ask me. I told him I was a against taxing my civil rights and gun license fees are too high. Then he listened for a bit while I mumbled something about "Imagine paying $200 to have free speech , I guess the second amendment is taxable??" I kinda fumbled at this point and thanked him for listening.

Ok, I called my senator and left a message with an actual person. I basically said that she can count on not getting my vote if she votes in favor of this.

He didn't ask me. I told him I was a against taxing my civil rights and gun license fees are too high. Then he listened for a bit while I mumbled something about "Imagine paying $200 to have free speech , I guess the second amendment is taxable??" I kinda fumbled at this point and thanked him for listening.

You dropped the ball...[rolleyes]

JK! Thanks for calling

Back
Top Bottom