Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

I emailed my rep and my Senator ( Evangelidis, and Antonioni (Dem) yesterday and today i recieved a response from Evangelidis (Rep):

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your e-mail and as a member of GOAL I assure you that I am opposed to any fee increases for the sportsman and responsible gun owners in the Commonwealth. I always appreciate hearing from my constituents and I hope your having a good summer.

Sincerely,

Lew

Still nothing from Antonini.........

I am going to write up petition tonight for my gun club to sign. I will post it up here so if anyone wants to print it and have there club sign also. Signatures and phone calls do matter. I am down for the protest I just need a ride as I am physically handycap and cant drive. If this bill is pasted it will really hurt people like me that are on disability and only make $800 a month. We the people really need to make sure this does not get passed!

Hmmm... Braintree does have about 3k members... I bet getting just a third of those names on a petition would get the attention of any South Shore lawmaker.

No response as of yet from Sen. Walsh and Rep. Rogers, when the phone don't ring I know it's them.

Maybe this is why they're building a large detention center on Camp Edwards... It's about 2 football fields long. Concrete walls with chain link on top, and barbed wire facing inwards. If you want to keep someone out doesn't the barbed wire face outwards? I've been working out there, this place is completed.

Google REX84

Yes, that's exactly why. It couldn't possibly be this, http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080615/NEWS/806150346

Please try to keep the paranoia under control, this problem is serious enough without it.

Please critique mine. It will be sent on Thursday.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

State Senator Mr. ***
Commonwealth of Massachusetts State House – Room ***
Boston, MA 02133
United States

CC: State Representative Mr. ***

SUBJECT: Recent Legislative Effort to Tax Potential and Existing Gun Owners

Senator ***:

As you are already aware, a special appropriations bill for FY 2008 was submitted by Governor Patrick on Sunday, July 13, 2008. I’m contacting you to disclose my total opposition to this recent legislative effort on behalf of the Patrick administration to tax and discourage the peaceable, law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth from acquiring and operating lawfully owned firearms. “An Act Making Appropriations for the Fiscal Year 2008 to Provide for Supplementing Certain Existing Appropriations and for Certain Other Activities and Projects ” affronts our natural right to keep and bear arms by drastically augmenting the required firearms dealer and carrying fees.

Specifically § 24 through § 27 are detrimental to Constitutionally-protected personal liberties. The pending legislation especially disenfranchises peaceable and lawful gun owners who are less fortunate and struggle daily to “make ends meet”; Passage would only increase the growing synapse between those who can bear the high costs associated with lawful gun ownership. By any reasonable measure, the draconian and not-so-thinly-veiled efforts on part of the aloof Patrick administration to discourage are simply unconscionable and unconstitutional.

CHSB ";“ License to Carry Fee -1
SECTION 24. Section 122 of chapter 140 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 28, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $250.

CHSB ";“ Annual Dealer License Fee
SECTION 25. Said section 122 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby further amended by inserting after the word " Fund.";, in line 33, the following sentence:- Each year in which a license holder need not apply for a license renewal, the license holder shall pay to the licensing authority a license inspection fee of $100.

CHSB ";“ License to Carry Fee ";“ 2
SECTION 26. Section 131 of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 240, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $200.

CHSB ";“ Non Residential Firearms License Fee
SECTION 27. Section 131F of said chapter 140, as so appearing, is hereby amended by striking out, in line 53, the figure " $100"; and inserting in place thereof the following figure:- $250.

Jim Wallace, the Executive Director of Gun Owners Action League writes, “With this new proposal, the Governor continues to demonstrate his willingness to attack lawful gun owners while doing nothing to reduce violent crime. The highest court in the nation has ruled that citizens have an individual right to possess a firearm and now our Governor is trying to tax us out of that right! ”

Moreover, in the midst of an ailing economy compounded with abnormalities in the mortgage market and financial services industry, we can ill afford these aforementioned efforts to levy yet another unduly tax on the citizens of the Commonwealth. Runaway spikes in food and energy costs and a weakening dollar amplify our collective anxiety levels.

I strongly urge you and the other concerned members on Beacon Hill to vehemently oppose this reckless and wanton disregard for the recently affirmed Constitutional right to keep and bear arms (Heller V. DC). Furthermore, any additional effort to curtail existing irresponsible laws and policies to discourage the lawful ownership of firearms is appreciated. Any effort to encourage responsible and lawful gun ownership should be forefront.

Please contact me if you have any remaining questions or concerns. Thank you for your attention and consideration on this matter.

I just spent the last couple hours emailing legislators left and right. This was out of control a long time ago. Seriously people, we all need to step up and do something. It will only take a short amount of your time.

I don't have numbers to back this up, but it seems to me that a $5 increase in a driver's license renewal will fill the state's coffers much faster than a $100 increase in a LTC renewal with far less griping by those affected. This then leads to the conclusion that the whole thing is not so much about generating revenue than placing a choke hold not only on gun owners but gun dealers as well. Any increase in revenue is just icing on the cake...

If this gets shot down, be prepared for ammo taxes next...

write to your senator and district rep

i already have.....only heard back from jeff perry, not surprised to NOT hear form murray.

This then leads to the conclusion that the whole thing is not so much about generating revenue than placing a choke hold not only on gun owners but gun dealers as well. Any increase in revenue is just icing on the cake...

If this gets shot down, be prepared for ammo taxes next...
None of which of course does anything to prevent the proliferation of firearms to criminals anyways. As everyone but Governor Patrick seems to easily understand.

You folks are lucky. Scott Brown is a real stand-up guy and 2A supporter.
We very fortunate it rained the day he was up for election against where's the beef McQuiklin and won by about 290 votes which is pretty amazing when you add in the fact that the election was added to a democratic primary to try to slam dunk the heir apparent to Cheryl Jaques. I'm convinced the rain kept marginally motivated people home on election day and had changed the outcome over what we would otherwise have seen.

I don't have numbers to back this up, but it seems to me that a $5 increase in a driver's license renewal will fill the state's coffers much faster than a $100 increase in a LTC renewal with far less griping by those affected.

I don't think anyone has looked, but I wouldn't be surprised if they already did this in the prior appropriations bill. This stuff is "invisible" until it hits the masses when they go to register a car, renew a license (gun, drivers or other) . . . and then it is too late to do anything about it.

I gave up my Notary Public appointment last year. The fee went from $25 to $60 and the cost of the new stamps each time made it ridiculous. I never charged anyone a red cent to notarize documents and it was strictly an "expense" that didn't warrant the cost.

Car registrations were boosted a few years ago. Not sure if they also did that to DL or not.

child

This points out to me that Duval Patrick is very immature. His bill
for "one a month" and now to increase fees. This has nothing to do
with solving illegal guns, crime or anything else.

Its a childish response to the Heller decision. We need to shove it
up his ass with revenge.

JimB

License Fee Update - July 16, 2008

http://www.goal.org/news/Legislative/DevalLicenseTax.htm

License Fee Update - July 16, 2008

On Tuesday July 15, 2008 the Governor's appropriations bill was assigned a number (H.4971) and sent to the House Committee on Ways & Means. We are very pleased to let our members know that within hours of the alert going out concerning this legislation, State Representative Denis Guyer sent this correspondence (shown below) to his colleagues in the State House. Many legislators have already informed GOAL that they have responded and signed onto the proposed amendments to be ready if and when the bill hits the House floor for a vote. GOAL members are urged to ask their local state representatives to sign on to the Rep. Guyer amendments. Our members should be sure to send Rep. Guyer a note of thanks. [email protected]

With the bill now residing in the House Ways and Means Committee, we would urge our members to contact the members of that Committee and urge them to remove sections 24 through 27 while the bill is still in committee.

Contact Tip: We are at the end of the legislative session and every group imaginable is using bulk email systems in an attempt to get the attention of the Ways & Means Committee. For that reason we would strongly recommend contacting the Committee members by phone. If you can only make one or two calls, start with the top of the list as these are the senior members of the Committee, or, if you know any of the Committee as your local representative, contact them.

Other New England States charge the following for a license to carry firearms:

Rhode Island $40, good for four years
Connecticut $35, good for five years
Maine $35, good for four years
New Hampshire $10, good for four years

Dear Colleague,

I hope that you will join me in sponsoring the amendments (below) to the Governor's Supplemental Appropriation Bill.

While the bill does not yet have a bill number assigned, I will be filing these amendments as soon as we are able; so I thank you for your support in advance.

These amendments will strike sections 24, 25, 26, and 27 which raise the fees on legally licensed gun owners and dealers. Under current law (Chapter 140) citizens must pay $100 to renew their gun licenses now. Under the Governor's proposal this figure will be more than doubled to $250.

While the exact reasons for this increase have not yet been made clear, what is clear to most of us is that this new fee will make the legal and recently affirmed constitutional right for our citizens to legally possess a firearm financially out of reach. Making it harder for legal gun owners to renew their licenses will do nothing to stop the issues of gun violence and unlicensed guns on our streets today, and may in fact, create a new class of criminal: the current license holder and gun owner who is unable to afford the new fee.

Please support the thousands of LEGAL and responsible gun owners in this state by co-sponsoring these amendments.

To become a co-sponsor please respond to this email or call my office at (617) 722-2460 by 5PM Wednesday 7/16

Thank You,
Rep. Denis Guyer
Second Berkshire District
Amendments:

Amendment 1: MR. GUYER of DALTON moves to amend the bill by striking section 24.
Amendment 2: MR. GUYER of DALTON moves to amend the bill by striking section 25.

Amendment 3: MR. GUYER of DALTON moves to amend the bill by striking section 26

Amendment 4: MR. GUYER of DALTON moves to amend the Bill by striking section 27.

Amendment 5: MR. GUYER of DALTON moves to amend the Bill by striking the following sections: 24, 25, 26 and 27.

I'm done.

No more license fees from me. No more drivers license, no hunting or fishing licenses, no gun licenses, NOTHING!!!! This state won't get another red cent from me.

Sent my thanks.

STATE REPRESENTATIVE
DENIS E. GUYER
State House
Room 443
Boston MA

Dear Representative Guyer:

I was just informed by GOAL that you are planing on filing amendments to the Governor's appropriations bill (H.4971). I would like to take this time to send you a short note thanking you for striking sections 24-27.

I plan on contacting my State Reb, Elizabeth Poirier to sign on to your recommendations.

Again, thank you for standing behind the legal firearms owners in MA. Thank you for not trying to turn legal owners into Instant Felons by pricing our hobby out of the hands of many people of this Commonwealth. Thank you for protecting our Second Amendment Rights.

Thank you,

Christopher Mantia
Street Address
North Attleboro, MA
Phone Number
NA District 8 RTM Member

Sent to my Rep. Feel free to use any of my the wording used...

State Representative
Elizabeth A. Poirier
State House, Room 541
Boston, MA 02133
(617)-722-2976

Dear Representative Poirier:

I was just informed that State Representative Denis Guyer will be filing amendments that will strike sections 24, 25, 26, and 27 from the Governor's appropriations bill. Amendments which will otherwise raise the fees on legally licensed gun owners and dealers.

I'm asking you to please consider to join Representative Guyer and his amendments. The bill will do nothing but turn legal firearms owners into instant felons when it's time to renew for their permits. Only because this will price the average person out of their own hobby, out of their sport, out of a passion that has been passed down from generation to generation.

I would like to thank you for your time, and look forward to talking with you in the future.

Have a wonderful day,

Christopher Mantia
Address
North Attleboro, MA 02760-4159
Phone Number
NA District 8 RTM Member

Just mailed my letters to my Senator and Rep with thanks to other writers and GOAL in this thread:

M E M O R A N D U M

DATE: July 16, 2008

TO: SENATOR ANTHONY D. GALLUCCIO
STATE REPRESENTATIVE EUGENE L. O'FLAHERTY

SUBJECT: Governor Patrick’s Supplemental Appropriations Act

X URGENT • FOR YOUR REVIEW • FOR YOUR USE
• PLEASE PROVIDE COMMENTS X PLEASE REPLY

Senator Galluccio and Representative O’Flaherty:

The Governor has proposed “An Act Making Appropriations for the Fiscal Year 2008 to Provide for Supplementing Certain Existing Appropriations and for Certain Other Activities and Projects” found here: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3ter...ntent&f=legislation_legis_julysupp&csid=Agov3

Under ‘CHSB “;” License to Carry Fee -1,’ Sections 25 through 27, the Governor proposes to more than double dealer license fees and non-resident fees. In addition, he proposes to double the resident firearms fee.

These fees are not about obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon, per se. They are licenses to OWN firearms and legally SELL firearms to properly licensed individuals. In light of the recent Supreme Court ruling on District of Columbia v. Heller, this new proposal from the Governor can only be viewed as an attempt to tax people out of their civil rights.

We (the lawful gun owners) are not the problem! By the Commonwealth’s own records found here: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eohhs2t...y_surveillance_r_wriss_data_pubs&csid=Eeohhs2 gun violence and related crime actually increased dramatically over the 10 years after the passage of Chapter 180 of the Acts of 1998, otherwise known as the Gun Control Act of 1998. This happened as the lawful gun owners in the state dropped from 1.5 million to 240,000. This Act failed to reduce gun crime as it was supposed to do. Criminals by definition will always break the law and illegally obtain firearms.

Please focus your attention on reducing the Commonwealth’s debt by reducing spending and prosecuting criminals to the fullest extent of the law, rather than persecuting the law-abiding gun owners and dealers of Massachusetts. Please vote against this Act.

Heard back from my Rep. Bob Koczera's office from New Bedford. He's on the Ways and means committee. He signed on to the Guyer ammendments yesterday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom