• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Governor Patrick Files Bill to Drastically Increase License Fees

Got a reply from one of my reps:

Dear Mr. Homer,

On behalf of State Representative Christine Canavan, thank you for your recent e-mail regarding Governor Patrick's proposal to raise firearms licensing fees. Representative Canavan continues to value the input of her friends, neighbors and constituents, and appreciates your thoughts and feedback on this issue.

Like you, Representative Canavan and our office learned about the Governor's proposal to raise licensing fees for firearms dealers and the fee for licenses to carry earlier this week. While she realizes the need for additional state revenues to maintain longstanding state programs and services, the Representative feels that this measure would unfairly place an additional burden on law-abiding gun owners and, quite frankly, pose a threat to their civil liberties. For that reason, Representative Canavan STRONGLY OPPOSES the Governor's proposal and earlier this week signed on to an amendment offered by her colleague State Representative Denis Guyer that would strip this language -- Sections 24-27 -- from the this proposal.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue. As always, please continue to keep in touch and let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

A Brockton Democrat opposes the licensing rate hike because of its civil liberties implications? There is hope.

A Brockton Democrat opposes the licensing rate hike because of its civil liberties implications? There is hope.

That brought up something interesting.

This might sound comical but there is almost something to it: There has to be a way to show them how this would be burdensome and unfair to minorities and illegal immigrants.

Like you, Representative Canavan and our office learned about the Governor's proposal to raise licensing fees for firearms dealers and the fee for licenses to carry earlier this week. While she realizes the need for additional state revenues to maintain longstanding state programs and services, the Representative feels that this measure would unfairly place an additional burden on law-abiding gun owners and, quite frankly, pose a threat to their civil liberties. For that reason, Representative Canavan STRONGLY OPPOSES the Governor's proposal and earlier this week signed on to an amendment offered by her colleague State Representative Denis Guyer that would strip this language -- Sections 24-27 -- from the this proposal.

Pro-gun Democrat. You go, girl!

That brought up something interesting.

This might sound comical but there is almost something to it: There has to be a way to show them how this would be burdensome and unfair to minorities and illegal immigrants.

That would backfire because while they give lip service to supporting the rights of minorities and illegal aliens, the same people would be scared to death at the thought of them having the right to own to guns.

A reply from my rep...... We need more Georges!

Dear Peter,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to write me. I have signed onto an amendment that would get rid of that part of the supplemental budget. Also, I will be offering an amendment that would reduce the rate from $100 to $40. Please know that I am doing what I can. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rep. George Peterson

Dear Peter,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to write me. I have signed onto an amendment that would get rid of that part of the supplemental budget. Also, I will be offering an amendment that would reduce the rate from $100 to $40. Please know that I am doing what I can. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Rep. George Peterson

Dropping it to $40.00 when the Devil wanted $200.00. Whooa baby. That'll get his shorts in a twist!

Anyone else think this is a rather juvenile reaction to the opposition that's been mounting to H3991 (the one-gun-a-month bill that's still stuck in committee)? Sort of a "Don't like my other bill? Well, screw you!"

If nothing else, he's sure motivating people that weren't pissed off enough before.

Dear Peter,

Sincerely,

Rep. George Peterson

Is that an amendment to this same bill? What is the amendment number?

Time for a new round of letters?

Is that an amendment to this same bill? What is the amendment number?

Time for a new round of letters?

Yeah, please include details of the amendment. I will reply to all of the reps I have received responses from, and request that they sign onto that bill.

Anyone else think this is a rather juvenile reaction to the opposition that's been mounting to H3991 (the one-gun-a-month bill that's still stuck in committee)? Sort of a "Don't like my other bill? Well, screw you!"

If nothing else, he's sure motivating people that weren't pissed off enough before.

I don't think so. I think it was just a way to sneak this in to either raise some additional revenue from a relatively small group or induce people to drop their licensees cause it is too expensive. If GOAL hadn't spotted this it likely would have passed and people would have found out in dribs and drabs when they applied for a new license or renew. And maybe elected not to pursue their license.
I'd like to know who's idea it was. Don't think the Devil thought it up on his own. Probably someone from Handgun Control whispering in his ear.

Like many above, I also received an email from my representative (and fellow Holliston resident) Paul Loscocco:

Hi Andrew.

Thank you for contacting me on this. I am a supporter of gun rights and am opposed to the Governor's proposed fee increase. I am working with several of my colleagues in the Legislature to prevent this from being enacted.

Best regards, Paul

Unfortunately Rep. Loscocco is not running for re-election in the fall, so we might lose a good supporter.

If the "Commonwealth" (and that title is a joke, anyway) is so strapped for cash, and He wasn't trying to reduce legal gun ownership, why didn't the Governor add increasing Driver's Licenses and Vehicle Registrations to $200 each to his bill?

If the "Commonwealth" (and that title is a joke, anyway) is so strapped for cash, and He wasn't trying to reduce legal gun ownership, why didn't the Governor add increasing Driver's Licenses and Vehicle Registrations to $200 each to his bill?

MGL Ch 001 - Section 1
It shall be a felony to make a law that makes sense.
Section 2
Tax Increases must single out relatively small groups of people

I think that should sum it up.

Reply from Rep. Flanagan

I sent an email to Rep. Jennifer Flanagan and she sent the following reply.

"I agree with you that the fee should not be increased for a License to Carry and I signed onto Rep. Guyer's amendment this past week.

If there is anything else I can do please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jen"

I am going to keep a running list of the reps that support or oppose the fee increases on my blog. So if you don't mind PM me the names of the reps you written to with the details whether you get a response or not. I will have 3 catagories of support increase/oppose increase/no response.

I sent an email to Rep. Jennifer Flanagan and she sent the following reply.

"I agree with you that the fee should not be increased for a License to Carry and I signed onto Rep. Guyer's amendment this past week.

If there is anything else I can do please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jen"

She sounds hot.

No kidding. They go out of the way to point out how driving is a priviledge, not a right, yet it's a right that this sanctimonious prick wants to increase the cost of. Way to look out for the poor and downtrodden by creating a financial barrier that interferes with access to a basic Constitutional right. The hypocrisy is mindboggling.

Back
Top Bottom