First Purchase

My first guns were oddballs, because I inherited them from my gramps, who was a passionate Africa hunter. 357 maximum Ruger revolver, 45 magnum Grizzly 6" 1911, a 458 Winchester chambered Sauer and a custom made 16 gauge shotty as well as a Merkel Drilling. Got them all on the same day, so they're all firsts. Sitting in a safe at my brother's place, back in the old country.
Edit: the Sauer is a side by side rifle.

Last edited:
My first handgun purchase was two guns. The day I picked up my license, I drove directly to Four Seasons and bought a Sig 226 and a S&W 686 - 4" barrel.
I still have them both and will never sell either of them.
Long before that I had a few long guns. Mossy 500, Rem 700, Winchester 30-30.

Springfield xD45, "Gen 1"if there is such a thing. Bought it in AZ when I was separated from my first wife and doing a LOT of riding in the desert, which meant both reservations and lonely, DESOLATE roads. Went into a sporting goods store, can't remember the name, fondled maybe a dozen guns pistols and revolvers, the xD was the first to fit my paw so I bought it. Still have it, still like shooting it, never gonna sell it.

Moved to MA with it, drove cross country with it on the passenger seat under the map. Through many states, including Illinois where I stayed overnight at my brother's house outside Chicago and then across New York on the expressway until I arrived in MA with my 13 round magazines. No idea how many felonies I committed on that trip...

First rifle was a Mosin, saw o E when I took my MA ltc class. $99.95 from Aim Surplus. Sold it and it's twin when I ran out of room in safe number 4. Still miss it, but hadn't shot it in a couple of years so it was time for it to move on. I miss it sometimes...

First rifle Marlin Model 60 from K-Mart.

First handgun Colt King Cobra because the 686 next to it looked plain and the price difference was less than $50.00 back then.

Many 686's have come and gone since then but the King Cobra is still here.

Mid-nineties ('96 I think). Auto-ordnance 1911A1, because I wanted a WWII-style 1911. I loved it; built like a tank, and according to a later platoon sergeant of mine it functioned exactly like the one he'd carried in Berlin in the late '80s: poor lockup. I bought it at a sporting goods store on Grand Avenue in Laramie, WY, cash down, no wait, in and out.

I traded it later to a buddy in LA who still has it, all slicked up and modded in a million different ways. I got an LE No 5 mk I in trade, so I can't complain. We're both happy.

My first two handguns, because I don't remember which was first, A S&W 59 and a Walther PP. Still have the Walther, the S&W has been replaced with a 459.
Don't dismiss the idea of an older piece, it depend on the use. I'd take my German made Walther over any new .380.

OP - Big Pick:
Since this necro-thread is already resurrected.... What did you pick ?
How Happy are you with your selection ? What advice you would give to someone like yourself ?

My first pistol was a Glock 26 (gen 2 or so). Still have it, and shoot it really well.
First rifle was a Marlin model 60. Still stock, still a tack driver (bought it in 1969).

OP - Big Pick:
Since this necro-thread is already resurrected.... What did you pick ?
How Happy are you with your selection ? What advice you would give to someone like yourself ?
I got a shield for my first purchase. If I had to do it over again I would have gone with a g19. I find it easy to conceal for me and better at the range etc. I feel it’s just a good all purpose firearm. Still happy with my shield and do carry it just maybe would’ve thought it through a little bit more.

My first purchase was a Mossberg 500 20ga with an 18in barrel. I bought it used. Had a nice sounding sloppy and loud pump action--great for that in home defense weapon. First handgun was also used- a Sig P226 with (3) 15 round mags. Still have it. Both from Sparky's in Webster.

As for a next purchase?? I suggest a 60 gun safe. You'll need it.

My first was a Gen 3 Glock 30. It's my EDC. I love it.

As for this...
As for a next purchase?? I suggest a 60 gun safe. You'll need it.
... I concur and buy the biggest safe you can afford, then buy the biggest size after that. I don't have any room left in the safe I original bought. My next long gun is going to be an expensive gun as I will have to buy a safe to go with it.

Allow me to necro away. After I got out of the service in 78,I was working in Texas. Walked into an lgs asking about a .44 magnum. Guy says you want an old style or the new style?
I’m still holding that Ruger single action with a 8” barrel. Used to carry it around in a shoulder holster.
A real sight to behold. You needed 6” feet between you and the next guy to draw it.
Young and dumb, but lots of fun

I had rifle and shotgun when I lived in Maine. My first purchase in mass when I got my license was a shield. I had the bright idea of color filling the slide. Red with nail polish along with the takedown and slide release. Also thought it would be cool to fill in the line around the grip to match. Also add the red Hyve magazine extender . needless to say it's it's in the safe now every time I look at it reminds me of a car with way too much pinstriping. 😂 I'll never sell it though, Mostly because I'm too embarrassed to post pictures of it 😂

Realistically. What ever you get, you will soon think you made a mistake. Or that it is not what you want. Or there is something shiny you should get..

you won’t know or appreciate what you have, or then sell until you have a good amount or range time and try a bunch of different stuff.

but you need to start somewhere. And getting something and learning is a lot better than not have anything.

so buy something.. shoot the hell out of it, try everything you can and then figure out what you like or don’t like.

Rifle 1022 1983 at service merchandise Burlington. 80 bucks. Still have it. Handgun SW 27 with ridiculous 8 inch barrel at Nashville gun show 1983 also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Got my first 10/22 at Woolworths Downton Boston $59. On sale must have been 1977 or 78

Glock 22 the day I got my LTC, the cops in my family convinced me. It didn’t work out, .45 is more my style and I sold it to someone here.

It was a S&W snub nosed .38spl. It looked like a 637, but not sure if that was it's model number. It was back in the early 90's.
I don't have it any more, it was a good gun, but I don't miss it.

First Handgun: Revolver, Colt Lawman MkIII .357magnum 2" Coltguard nickel-electrolosis
Like photo below.
1597112919305.png

First Long gun: Lever-action Marlin 336sc .35rem

1597112870107.png

Back
Top Bottom