• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Purchase

Security Six 20 something years ago and following a decade hiatus a SR40. Which I regret to this day just because I should have bought the SR9, but the store was out of stock and I stupidly didn't want to leave empty handed.

My first pistol was a Browning BDM. It shot nice but had a hardened, stamped firing pin that kept breaking. Also, the "dual mode" firing mechanism was totally an answer to a question nobody asked, but such things were par for the course with late 80's , early 90's 9mm pistols. Companies were throwing shit at the wall and seeing what would stick. Glock killed all that... I no longer own that gun. If I ever buy another Browning 9 it will be a High Power.

My first pistol was a Browning BDM. It shot nice but had a hardened, stamped firing pin that kept breaking.

There were a lot of guns made like this. I would bet that if you never dry fired it it wouldn't have broken. A design flaw for sure but a lot of older guns had it. I had an AMT Back Up 380 DAO that would destroy firing pins if you dry fired it.

I almost bought a BDM but I think the one thing that turned me off was the safety goes in the wrong direction... I think UP is fire, IIRC.

-Mike

There were a lot of guns made like this. I would bet that if you never dry fired it it wouldn't have broken. A design flaw for sure but a lot of older guns had it. I had an AMT Back Up 380 DAO that would destroy firing pins if you dry fired it.

I almost bought a BDM but I think the one thing that turned me off was the safety goes in the wrong direction... I think UP is fire, IIRC.

-Mike

Yeah, Mike, it kept breaking because I dry fired the shit out of it. As I do with everything. It's been a couple years since I got rid of the thing, but I believe that you are correct. Up is fire, down is safe...

Picked up my LTC yesterday afternoon and went and purchased a shield 9mm today. I've always shot it well and took a liking to the gun when I first started so it was an easy decision for me. Although Corrine Mosher told me to go buy a Canik TP9sf in my dream last night so I think I might do that so I have a range gun too. Do you all remember your first gun and why you bought that one?

I'm selling a Canik tp9sf-$325 like new w/box w/holster 2 mags, etc

First gun I bought for myself was a SKS
It was 129$ on sale came with a drum and assorted mags and included the wood furniture also got a free case of ammo with the sale.

My first was a S&W 638. I bought it in 2009 when I was stationed in El Paso the second time. I didn't like it so I traded it for a shotgun before we left TX. Then a G27 while we were staying near Killeen.

Rifle 1022 1983 at service merchandise Burlington. 80 bucks. Still have it. Handgun SW 27 with ridiculous 8 inch barrel at Nashville gun show 1983 also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My first was an M&P40 full size, second was a Shield 9 and 3-12 are various others (all in the past 3 years). The M&P full size I can take or leave, like the Shield a lot. Someone else suggested going to a range that rents, I highly recommend trying guns and not relying too much on the online research. My local range offers a half day class that deals exclusively with gun selection, you get to fire everything from 1911s to striker fire semis to DAO carry revolvers and everything in between. I wish I knew about that class when I was starting out.

My first was a savage .22 (64f) because I wanted to start small and it was on sale. If I only knew then what I know now I would have but the bullet and bought a 10/22 instead

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

First was P226 for range and P229 for carry. Now that my LTC in Mass is being printed tomorrow, I want to get a 320c, but am having trouble finding one. I'm doing handgun 104 at Sig Sauer academy in July, but I can't wait that long! Won't have unrestricted for a year so I might just get the full-sized 320.

Last edited:
An older German Sig 226 that seemed like it had seen hard times and needed a good "forever home." Still, in a safe filled with newer shiny things, I still shoot the heck out of it

My first gun was my Citori that I use to this day. Purchased that new in the mid-late 90s. Still a hell of a gun.

First pistol was a Sig P229 in .357Sig that I swapped for a Beretta 92FS that I still have as well (also a late 90s purchase). I rarely shoot it, but still love it when I take it to the range.

Picked up my LTC yesterday afternoon and went and purchased a shield 9mm today. I've always shot it well and took a liking to the gun when I first started so it was an easy decision for me. Although Corrine Mosher told me to go buy a Canik TP9sf in my dream last night so I think I might do that so I have a range gun too. Do you all remember your first gun and why you bought that one?
My first was a .45/70 Marlin "Zane Grey Century" lever-action rifle. Grandpa gave it to me. As a 14 year old kid in Alabama, I didn't need an FID or any other government permission slip to own it.

Italian-made Beretta 92fs. Because Martin Riggs and John McClaine said so. [smile]

I researched extensively, but I knew I wanted a 92. Older design, oversized for what it is, no rail or adjustable front sight. Didn't care.

Proceeded to swap the springs to the 92D set, paint the 3 white dots so they stand out a little better, and got a couple of pre-bans.

I went through 3 sets of grips before coming back to the stock ones with oil, a dremmel with sanding attachment, and 400-grit sandpaper to smooth down the back edges where the web of your hand rests. (For those of you who hate the 92fs stock grips, trust me when I say it *completely* changes the feel. There is a lot of extra material you can remove on the stock grips.)

And yes, I could have just taken all that money spent on grips and springs and just bought a custom 92. But I learned a ton, and I like wrenching. It was a pleasure to learn on an iconic piece I've loved since I was a youngling, as well.

Sig 229 from Four Seasons.

Didn’t buy anything else for years after that and my next was a stripped lower that I built into my first AR.

Ruger p94. Because I needed a duty weapon. The chief OK’d it because he knew I was poor. Wish I still had it.

When I was 18 I bought a Calico .22 carbine... I was fun blasting away 100 rounds of .22 at a time... but reloading was hell... May first pistol when I was 21 was a Colt 1911 Commander... thought to gun sucked... because I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with it... didn’t realize until much later it was the shooter’s not the gun’s fault.

Back
Top Bottom