Dumb guy at the range

I have a membership at the range and sometimes work there in the sales dept. I would not have taken firearms from any of these individuals were it not for the fact that they blatantly disregarded conspicuously posted safety rules (printed in 72 pt type in red ink) and a signed waiver prior to renting their firearms. This is not something that I would recommend any one do without some forethought. I approached the individuals in both situations in a very cordial and polite manner under the guise of offering "friendly"/"helpful" advice. I initially did offer some instruction to the Momma and her sons, however they shrugged this off and claimed that they knew what they were doing (Momma shot the ceiling a couple of times while I was there). I proceeded to let Momma know that her boys were in danger of shooting someone, walked over to her son, called him by name and put my hand on his shoulder (he refused to wear hearing protection because it isn't "cool"). I told him I wanted to show him something and took his gun from him and cleared it.

The foreign students were a little more receptive to accepting my advice, however continued to exhibit unsafe behaviors.

True, taking firearms from someone may not be the safest thing that you can do at the range, but sometimes it's necessary and sometimes the most expedient thing to do to keep every one safe.

IMHO I think it was a good call. Momma "shot the ceiling!?!" a couple of times? AYFKM? I don't think I would consider stepping foot in this place, not that I will, as it seems you're in Ohio, but Jeez.

C'mon, seriously? Taking guns from someone? I can see this if a) public range and b) rental guns owned by the range. (edit- rental guns in UncleDuke's case so to me that makes sense) Otherwise- no. Never have I heard of club bylaws providing for confiscation of firearms in case of unsafe habits. Pack up your sh!t, leave, and forfeit your membership for repeat or egregious infractions is the typical rule.

So far we have not caught anyone in the act, but we seem to have some repeat offender dumb guys at our range. Someone is setting beer bottles and other crap on the target stands. Must be bad shots because the target stands get shredded pretty quickly. These stands are maybe 6" tall and hold the paper target frames. We have a paper & clays only rule but will tolerate the occasional soda can and plastic bottles if folks pick up their mess. Of course the broken glass is left there.

Some numbnuts keeps putting large rocks on the range and is shooting them. One time there was a volleyball sized rock split in half from being shot multiple times. It was ~the 50 yard line so I'm sure it was a large bore rifle. Ricochet from that bone-headed activity could have dire consequences for someone and put the range in jeopardy. Ours is mostly a Fudd/shotty club, so I'm concerned that all the bad behavior will result in range restrictions for all rather than just hammering the perps.

Last edited:
At a commercial range/private range, yes. At a club, no. I would pack up, inform the RSO and membership committee about this particular individual or group of individuals acting in an unsafe manner. This particular range is co-located at a gun shop that does not require memberships, you just present your driver license and you can rent whatever gun you want. I disagree with their policies and practices, however, most gun ranges where I live have rentals and also have similar practices/policies.

I am SO glad you guys mentioned cleaning up the brass......I'm a newbie so last time I was at range, when I was done I grabbed a broom and cleaned the whole area....being a nice guy. I became aware that one guy was GLARING at me and I was like......what's his f---ing problem ? Now I know !

I am SO glad you guys mentioned cleaning up the brass......I'm a newbie so last time I was at range, when I was done I grabbed a broom and cleaned the whole area....being a nice guy. I became aware that one guy was GLARING at me and I was like......what's his f---ing problem ? Now I know !

Yeah, it's just one of those things you learn. Today, i was at our outdoor pistol range. I like to periodically stop every few magazines and tidy up brass. The other guy there asked me if I reloaded before he did the same, as he was to my left facing downrange, and his brass strayed into mine.

... So far we have not caught anyone in the act, but we seem to have some repeat offender dumb guys at our range. Someone is setting beer bottles and other crap on the target stands. Must be bad shots because the target stands get shredded pretty quickly. These stands are maybe 6" tall and hold the paper target frames. We have a paper & clays only rule but will tolerate the occasional soda can and plastic bottles if folks pick up their mess. Of course the broken glass is left there.

Some numbnuts keeps putting large rocks on the range and is shooting them. One time there was a volleyball sized rock split in half from being shot multiple times. It was ~the 50 yard line so I'm sure it was a large bore rifle. Ricochet from that bone-headed activity could have dire consequences for someone and put the range in jeopardy. Ours is mostly a Fudd/shotty club, so I'm concerned that all the bad behavior will result in range restrictions for all rather than just hammering the perps.

If you're really worried, then it might be prudent to hide a game cam or two on the range to smoke 'em out before management starts making changes.

You could just suggest management put up their own game cams, but if they're such Fudds, they may take a shine to them and leave them up permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at HSC years ago and was at the 50 yard range area. There was a guy two chairs to my left, some other folks way to the right, and this gaggle of younger kids shooting the orange plates to the far left. I had just put a magazine in, but as usual, I just take a peek to my left and right to make sure no one is down range. Just a habit. This group of kids had walked down to the plates and had not told ANYONE. I removed the magazine, stepped back and stared them down. I so wanted to rip them a new one but I think they got it from my stare.

I was at HSC years ago and was at the 50 yard range area. There was a guy two chairs to my left, some other folks way to the right, and this gaggle of younger kids shooting the orange plates to the far left. I had just put a magazine in, but as usual, I just take a peek to my left and right to make sure no one is down range. Just a habit. This group of kids had walked down to the plates and had not told ANYONE. I removed the magazine, stepped back and stared them down. I so wanted to rip them a new one but I think they got it from my stare.

You should have told them what they did wrong and explained proper procedure to them.

You should have told them what they did wrong and explained proper procedure to them.

No. Because glaring at kids and expecting them to infer what the problem might be is so much better.

I was shooting IDPA format yesterday, we had four stages setup, and when we finished we left one stage partially setup for people to play with. One of the younger shooters was working on it and gradually backing up and as he did so, me moved past a group of us so that we were now in front of his firing line, (off to his side about thirty feet). I yelled "STOP", and he did. I pointed out that we'd been stationary, and that he'd moved his firing line so that we were now in front of it, which means that we're in his 180. One of the guys that I was talking to said to him, "just give us a chance, we'll move" - and we did.

Because we were so far to his side, and he was focused on his targets, he didn't see us as a problem. All of us work off of the same basic guidelines which include nobody in front of the firing line so it was a problem for us. But didn't require any yelling other than the initial "STOP", and then a quick "hey, look at what you're doing, think about this... conversation". He won't do it again, and no feathers were ruffled.

One amusing tidbit in the NRA RSO class is that if you are unsure of the operation of a gun and trying to help the person on the line, ask him to produce the instruction manual.

Why not just offer your help to him? [thinking]

Real men don't read instructions. Or at least read it in private or youtube it like the rest of us. That guy probably ask for driving directions when he's lost. Totally unacceptable.

Seriously, it's a SR22. Not trying to disassemble a Mark III here. Plus if he saw how I shot the G43, he would've laughed at me if I offered any unsolicited advice. Unless it's an immediate safety issue, I won't get involved. The last time I said something, that person was very sarcastic back. I'll save the instructions for the qualified instructors and RSOs. They're likely much more helpful and mature about these things than I'll ever be.

Saw a guy at the range over the weekend with a Ruger SR22 pull out the instruction manual. Ok... I'm leaving. Hopefully the safety being ass backwards confused him and not trying to figure out how to make the gun go bang.

I kept putting my thumb on my brothers since I'm used to shooting my 1911 like that .
Yeah I hate the ****ing gun.

I was at a private club/range last summer with my son. We were shooting various rifles out to 200yds when this older gentleman came up to the benches on the line and sat a rifle case on the bench and was just watching me and my son shoot. When we got to a stopping point I asked if he would like for us to go cold so he could set up his targets. He said "yea whenever you want, I'm in no hurry" So we stop, clear the weapons, set them down and call a cold line.

We proceed to the 200yd line, and the old guy hobbles out to the 50 to set up this enormous bullyseye target. Me and my son are pulling targets at the 200 when we hear this echoing BOOMmmmmmm we look at each other and were like WTF? Surely that guy isn't shooting while we're downrange??? Maybe someone opened up with something big on one of the adjoining ranges??? So we proceed back down the side of the range to the firing line and when we get to about the 50, this old man comes out walking to us almost in tears profusely apologizing.....

He said he thought we had gone inside the clubhouse or something as he didnt see us? Mind you, this was 5-10 minutes after we had walked down the same path to the targets TOGETHER! I was upset, but also thinking, maybe this guy can't remember past 5 minutes, can't even see 200yds? I mean, what am I gonna do? Beat some 80 y/o dude up? Scream at him? I had a sense of sympothy for the guy because he was so upset and apologetic to me and my son. I explained that our gear was on the line, we were with him the whole time and walked together to pull targets ect, and if he wasn't 100% sure, he could have walked the line to be positive no-one was down there. We all took a breath, no-one was hurt, lessons learned. He was so upset with himself he just cased his rifle and sat there. He gave me his badge number in the event I wanted to report it and needed his info, but I just shook it off.

Poor old guy. In later visits to that range, one of us stays back on the line while the other pulls targets.

Saw a guy at the range over the weekend with a Ruger SR22 pull out the instruction manual. Ok... I'm leaving. Hopefully the safety being ass backwards confused him and not trying to figure out how to make the gun go bang.

Lol so thats scary to you? Would you prefer he just fumbled around with it while muzzle sweeping you? [laugh]

-Mike

We put up warning lights at Hopkinton Sportsmens, since it is impossible to see down the 200 yard range from most positions on the line.

So you would rather a new shooter just take the gun and start ****ing with it? Not all new shooters are unsafe. I would have gone down and asked the guy if he needed any help.

If someone tried to take a firearm from me at a range that wasn't a rso there would be a proper problem. I assume you are an employee and not a self appointed member of the vigilante safety committee?

This

a lot of these posts assume the perps are new guys but not always the case. years ago i was at 200 yds changing a target and the most experienced, well respected high power shooter started shooting while i was still down range. it was just me and him on the range, i asked for a clear, he opened his bolt, cleared the rifle and stepped away from his bench. i flipped on the safety light and off i went. just took my target off the hanger and kaboom...turn around and it looks like he's sitting back at his bench. screamed at him and scampered off the range and to the road, walked back to the firing line and he's ready to let off another round. wtf, the lights were still blinking. talk about pissed. never found out if he went senile at that point, actually never saw him again, but he never said anything to me when i confronted him. heard he died a couple years ago.

My club has public hours where anyone with a LTC can come, go through the safety briefing and use the range. I was there when an older guy comes in with two 20-somethings noobs that he is going to teach how to shoot. I overhear him say they must announce "fire in the hole" each time they load a mag and "clear" when last round is expended. I thought he was just screwing with them and chuckled to myself. Turns out he was dead serious. He kept getting pissed at them if they didn't do it. He raised his voice and would give me they eyeball saying "everyone is supposed to say that every time". Obviously getting ticked that I wasn't complying either. After we all finished shooting he was Mr. Knows all the Laws arguing with the RSO about what's legal and not. According to him my Sig 938 isn't legal because it didn't have a build in key safety like on his revolver. Well maybe it was grand-fathered. I normally hang out and chat with the RSOs but that night I had to get home for dinner. They walk among us.

My club has public hours where anyone with a LTC can come, go through the safety briefing and use the range. I was there when an older guy comes in with two 20-somethings noobs that he is going to teach how to shoot. I overhear him say they must announce "fire in the hole" each time they load a mag and "clear" when last round is expended. I thought he was just screwing with them and chuckled to myself. Turns out he was dead serious. He kept getting pissed at them if they didn't do it. He raised his voice and would give me they eyeball saying "everyone is supposed to say that every time". Obviously getting ticked that I wasn't complying either. After we all finished shooting he was Mr. Knows all the Laws arguing with the RSO about what's legal and not. According to him my Sig 938 isn't legal because it didn't have a build in key safety like on his revolver. Well maybe it was grand-fathered. I normally hang out and chat with the RSOs but that night I had to get home for dinner. They walk among us.

Sounds like he was an extra in "Under Siege" [lol]

About 10 years ago I saw some moron at the Manchester Firing Line shooting a 12 gauge. He shot the target holder and it ripped all the cables down from the ceiling and they were all over the floor. He went and told the guy at the desk "Ummm lane 6 is down" and they said we know move to lane 7.

About 10 years ago I saw some moron at the Manchester Firing Line shooting a 12 gauge. He shot the target holder and it ripped all the cables down from the ceiling and they were all over the floor. He went and told the guy at the desk "Ummm lane 6 is down" and they said we know move to lane 7.

[rofl]

I was at the range last week with my brother trying to tighten up our groups with my Sig. There was a mother and daughter next to us, all rented guns, so I kept an extra eye out. They must have broken every safety rule in the book. Bringing the guns out and carrying then to the bench, sweeping the guy to their other side a couple times, trying to recover dropped rounds of .22 without telling anyone, etc. The RSO was getting pissed but had patience with them as they were obviously clueless. Still, as long as the RSO was up their ass and they didn't sweep us, I kept my cool.

Then it got a little weird. The mother would stand behind either me or my brother while we shot just watching every shot like a creep, ignoring her daughter spraying bullets all over the target. Ok, maybe she wanted some advice (not like I'm the best person to get it from but what the heck). Nope, she would just walk away after our mags were empty with a smirk on her face. Ok....

We would pull the target closer after a mag or two to see our groups better, nothing unusual. Well, the mom decided it was time to do the same except they didn't change their target for most of their session. It was just a mess of holes all over the place, no pattern or sign of deliberate aim. She goes to her daughter "we gotta find the shots we hit these past few times" while she pointed at random holes among the mess shaking her head like her groups were slightly off. I was so confused, especially when she started timing her target examinations with ours.

If they were hot, I would take it as a hint. The creep factor coupled with a combined score of a busted 6 between the two of them kept us extra focused on our targets the rest of the session.

My club has public hours where anyone with a LTC can come.....
thats not a club, just a place where they ask a few folks that don't know any better to fund for the upkeep of a public range. whats the sense of "joining" a club if it's open to the public?

thats not a club, just a place where they ask a few folks that don't know any better to fund for the upkeep of a public range. whats the sense of "joining" a club if it's open to the public?

The public hours are very limited while I can go 24 hr/day. IMO the public hours can help attract people to become members. Before I joined I went there a couple of times during the public hours. I wanted to make sure I liked the facilities, management, and other members before committing to join. There's not enough volume of off the street shooters to make a significant impact on income. I think they do it at least in part to encourage safe gun ownership, especially among those who are new. I also like to take my daughter every so often. As she is not licensed, we can only go when there's an RSO present so for me it has it's pluses.

I was this dumb/newbie guy not long ago: Loading a magazine, minding my own business, another guy doing the same farther down. He finishes first, calls out "ready?" and I nod. A few seconds later, i hear th loudest "BANG!" I've ever hard in my life.That's when I realized the earmuffs were still in the range bag. Now I put them on when i get out of the car!
Now, a dumb/newbie question: If the ejected brass lands in the grass downrange, instead of behind the firing line, am I supposed to pick it up? I get nervous doing so if anyone's around, but hate to leave a mess for the next guy.

I was this dumb/newbie guy not long ago: Loading a magazine, minding my own business, another guy doing the same farther down. He finishes first, calls out "ready?" and I nod. A few seconds later, i hear th loudest "BANG!" I've ever hard in my life.That's when I realized the earmuffs were still in the range bag. Now I put them on when i get out of the car!
Now, a dumb/newbie question: If the ejected brass lands in the grass downrange, instead of behind the firing line, am I supposed to pick it up? I get nervous doing so if anyone's around, but hate to leave a mess for the next guy.
Definately wait for a cold range! Then pick up your brass in the grass if you want to keep it. As far is if its nexessary to pick up brass that is forward probably depends on the club. Mine if it is behind the firing line on the concrete you need to pick it all up. In the grass and dirt......leave it. Yours may be different.

Back
Top Bottom