Dumb guy at the range

I love it when people that have never met me and know nothing about me feel that they are qualified to declare what I can and cannot learn on my own without their help.

4 Hours is simply not long enough of a class for a new inductee into OUR gun family to learn baseline safety and discipline and essays are for dictatorist cops. My points are out here, in gun land WITH my name attached, for all to see and I will back them up with facts, not name calling... I note your anonymity.
Nonetheless... 95% of the problems, I address on the range, ARE 4 hour graduates, whats your issue with that?
Perhaps you were born with inherent firearm safety knowledge?
Did you make it to the statehouse last week to share your keen and insightful wit regarding potential firearms legislation with our electorate?
I am on record as being entirely against changing the Redmen moniker.

Some people grew up in a gun culture where that four hour training is completely unnecessary. If fact the majority of people did before the onslaught of racist gun laws were enacted.

So your answer is that it is necessary and proper for the government to further interfere with our rights because their previous infringements had deleterious side effects.

I love it when people that have never met me and know nothing about me feel that they are qualified to declare what I can and cannot learn on my own without their help.

Dude, bocan has a bunch of certifications in his sig line. He knows better than you.

I love it when people who flaunt their "level of expertise" think they know what's best for everyone else.

This thread is based on, "dumb guy at the range", and we agree that the horror stories we're sharing are centered around people at gun ranges doing dumb things due to... Lack of knowledge. Your points are invalid, your insults however, thrown in the course of an adult conversation are pathetic and reek of the liberal based mindset that states when you can't win on facts, discredit and name call the person with facts to make it appear that you're winning the encounter.
Also, my CV listed in my signature is a matter of accomplishment, and not posted as a shield, as the other poster alludes.
I learn every day.

Last edited:
Why has the been no thread of the ND that occurred in October, at the latest and greatest LGC? Tell me that none of you have heard of this? This person's lack of knowledge, cost her a hole in her arm, you want her on the line next to you, full of her own voluntary gleaning of firearms knowledge that's apparently in the air?

This thread is based on, "dumb guy at the range", and we agree that the horror stories we're sharing are centered around people at gun ranges doing dumb things due to... Lack of knowledge.
The problem is that I've seen newbies at the range who "got it" and were safe and old-timers who after multiple decades still didn't "get it". Knowledge hinges primarily in the student's willingness to learn - if they want to acquire knowledge they will seek it even if it's not mandated; if they think they know everything then even in a mandated class you won't teach them anything and you might as well lecture to a wall.

The problem is that I've seen newbies at the range who "got it" and were safe and old-timers who after multiple decades still didn't "get it". Knowledge hinges primarily in the student's willingness to learn - if they want to acquire knowledge they will seek it even if it's not mandated; if they think they know everything then even in a mandated class you won't teach them anything and you might as well lecture to a wall.

Yep - this is why we need to ban stupid

This... the people who don't have a safety mindset will just sit through that 4, 8, 16, 40 hour class scratching their balls, and even if tested will basically "fake it till they make it".

Self Presevation is a pretty intrinsic thing. I think most people get that, that's why on the whole there aren't a metric ton of range
accidents and the like. There's always gonna be that 5% or whatever it is, that's just straight up retarded, though, or doesn't have even an ounce of safety mindset in them. For example, a lot of these people mentioned in this thread, some of you guys may have politely or not so politely cussed someone out for a safety violation. In a lot of these incidents, does anyone here really think that's the first time anyone said anything about that?

Example: Range goes cold, captain oblivion is still ****ing around with his gun (thats pointed downrange) while some guy has gone downrange to change targets.

Me: "Not trying to be a dick, but nobody should be messing with guns while someone's downrange."

Good guy who didn't know (4 out of 10 times): "Oh shit, sorry, I didn't realize he started walking downrange!" (then it never happens again the whole time you're there, guy isn't butthurt or anything about you saying something to him)

Douche Faggot (6 out of 10 times) : "But it's not loaded!" (or insert some other lame excuse here). You might even get a sorry out of these guys, but most of the time they'll continue to **** up in one way or another the whole time you're
there.

Training is important- but the problem is unless that person is willing to absorb the knowledge, Forcing someone to take a
training course isn't going to miraculously make the light go on.

When people tell me "mandatory training" is great, I just send them this...

http://www.odmp.org/officer/17868-police-officer-tara-marie-drummond

This woman was shot in the chest by a police TRAINER during a TRAINING course of some kind or
another. He was unsafe because he thought he was above everything, his mindset was pure shit. (there was a rule at the facility not allowing live ammunition in the classrooms, and he violated it, amongst other things) I have no doubt that the nipplehead that shot this young woman probably has more "formalized training" hours than many here on this board... lot of good that did. The only thing that ultimately prevents safety incidents is a halfway decent safety mindset by anyone involved in touching a firearm... and that is really only something that can be self taught and self reinforced, with the latter being the more important part; the ability to recognize when you made a mistake and do something about it- some kind of ongoing reinforcement so that it doesn't happen again. Sometimes these mistakes are tiny and not catastrophic but it all plays together. For example I remember awhile ago I had opened my safe, and went to reach in to pick a gun to carry and a loaded handgun fell out and crashed on the floor, but it was secured in a holster. Nothing bad happened, but I said to myself "ok that could have been bad, I'm going to rearrange things here so that does not happen again." It's the little things like that, the little reinforcements that maintain safety.

-Mike

when i'm going down range i don't give a shit what badges or certificates anyone has, i just want them to make safe and step away from their stuff. not too much to ask i don't think.

wow that's a bad one.

I was at an action shooting match and saw a guy shoot the floor in front of his feet while waiting for the buzzer to go off to start his round. = poor trigger discipline.
what kind of an action shoot was that?

There is a difference between a "Dumb Guy" and an "Inexperienced Guy" - sometimes it's a mix. I try to be a "good range guy" - helping if appropriate, giving good feedback and generally trying to promote good handling practices.

7 yard shotgun patterns with a 45 acp generally get a pass from me - especially if he's trying to teach the wife. Obvious n00bs with no clue get more attention and direction to try to minimize the damage.

I'm that guy with a target out at 30 feet trying to clover leaf holes (ineffectively while my friends laugh).

Walking away from bad practices does 2 things:
lets you walk away
does not prevent future events - good or bad

How horrible would you feel about reading about an event that you personally could have prevented minutes earlier? Yeah, that's a pretty sh!tty scenario.

We all do what we think is right at the time, I'm no different. I've fawked up so much I coulda been in pron but I'm not - I'm still here trying to help the new folks. Maybe one day it will pay off.
Very true. Was at the range yesterday when 2 young kids opened their cases behind me and started to handle guns and put magazines in them. I stepped back and asked them to do it at the line. They seemed truly surprised that I asked but apologized.. I said 'no problem'. When they wanted to clean up their brass and go downrange they asked and I made sure that they saw me open my action and step back behind the line while they cleaned up.

BTW - All you guys saying "stepping away from the gun is stupid.. I;m not going to shoot anybody .. etc. You are dangerous.. You treat a gun as if were loaded AT ALL TIMES. I really don't want to hear the words "It wasn't loaded".

Last edited:
My own personal stupid thing ... I was shooting my Glock MOS with an RMR on it when my VERY expensive RMR flew off the gun and out onto the range. (Don't get me started on Glock MOS and their inability to define the correct mounting screws). So I put my gun down and turn the light on (even though I am the only guy at the range) and go out on the range to get my RMR fearing for the worst and envisioning $450 cracked and broken.

I get the RMR, pick it up and examine it, feel the rush of relief that it is not broken and appears to be working. I then look back to the bench and find myself starting directly down the barrel of my loaded Glock.

Another vote for Bob's Tactical where, in addition to seeing the muzzle sweeps and other nitwit moves too many times to even count, I once saw a woman in a group of three, shooting and texting....simultaneously.
I'll never - EVER -go there again.

Another vote for Bob's Tactical where, in addition to seeing the muzzle sweeps and other nitwit moves too many times to even count, I once saw a woman in a group of three, shooting and texting....simultaneously.
I'll never - EVER -go there again.

I see it on the road everyday. Am not surprised it is happening at the range now. Very sad

You're no better than the healthcare companies with Obamacare, mandating by law that people purchase your service. If your service was that ****ing great people would buy it of their own free will, not because their rights are held hostage without it.
Very well said. So many "training" businesses out there exist only due to the .gov requiring training for an ltc in this ****ing state. Like a miniauture version of the beltway bandits in dc.

How horrible would you feel about reading about an event that you personally could have prevented minutes earlier? Yeah, that's a pretty sh!tty scenario.

Not nearly as bad as my family finding out I got hurt by some dumbass at the range...

You know words can hurt people, and are capable of inciting violence in others. Should we therefore require everyone to take mandatory speaking courses so they may exercise their right to free speech?
Please don't give the Massachusetts liberals down here any more whacked out ideas than they already have.. or before you know it we'll be "required" to attend sensitive-speak courses (and pay a $95 "fee" for it as well...proceeds earmarked for the Muslim assimilation groups or LGBT society or the... etc etc)
[emoji6]

Back
Top Bottom