• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WEIRDEST ammo+firearm incident i had at the Range yesterday.....

As the title said. I have NO idea how this happened and never experienced this in my 28 years of shooting.
I would love it if someone could figure this out.
Backstory, i was at the local range yesterday and shooting my 2011.
Using factory "CCI Blazer training ammo 9mm 115gr FMJ".
First ten rounds went fine. After that the next round wouldn't load. It would get stuck halfway up the ramp and slide obviously didn't go forward.
So i dropped the mag, locked the slide back and see the TIP of the bullet facing me. I was in total WTF and how did that happened?!
Luckily it didn't make it too far in the barrel and into the rifling.
I already shot 100 rounds of the same ammo through my MPX K without incident.
Called it a day and hoping it didn't damage the barrel or gun.
Took apart the 2011 and looked down the front of barrel with a flashlight. I see the flat back of the bullet.
Took numerous tries with a wooden stick ramming through the front of the barrel to dislodge it.
Took these pics to show my buddy who couldn't believe it after i called him about it.
Any idea how this happened?
I heard of the ENTIRE bullet stuck backwards in the barrel but not just the bullet.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 144
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 148
I dont think there is anyway for this to happen without the bullet being seated backwards.

If you're pumping mags full of rounds and not looking, I can see this happening. I've often grabbed a handful of rounds from my ammo can, pumped mags while shooting the shit with someone.

i don't see how a round could do a 180 going up a feed ramp. i want to say it's impossible but hey, shit happens.

Do you think it was seated backwards? kinda hard not to notice that when loading mags.
I have a loader that in theory would make this doable...

It grabs rounds right out of a box and you slam them down

You'd have to not be paying attention still but i think it's doable

The only thing that makes sense is the bullet was backwards

If you have a bunch of flat nose rounds in an ammo box maybe you wouldn't notice either

Im kinda surprised it didnt shoot tho

Last edited:
Do you think it was seated backwards? kinda hard not to notice that when loading mags.
i rarely even look at bullets when i load 9mm mag. now will start looking better.
wild indeed, but, it is the only explanation to exist - that it was originally seated upside down

and you are very lucky it got stuck so close to the lands and not mid-barrel, to prevent the next round to go into the battery. would be expensive.

Last edited:
i also wonder how you did not notice the whole amount of gas from the shot to exit with the extracted shell on the side? it definitely had to sound quite a bit different and feel different.

all ROs here are having their a-ha moment for sure. :)

I hope you looked at the rest of the box and maybe made note of the lot number just in case.
i have a ton of cci blazer in brass 124gr, shot may be close to 2K of it already, never had anything like that yet. go figure.

I saw that on a 10/22 Ruger competition rifle at a match... There was a bit of a blowback and I stopped the shooter... My theory is that the bullet was not crimped properly and when pushed from the magazine became separated and bounced just right off the action and into the chamber... then got shoved in by the case/slide and then the primer ignited and shoved it a bit deeper... still... what are the chances lol..

I dont think it was an upside down crimped bullet as it would be quite obvious when loading the magazine.

During the ammo shortage, ammo manufacturers have been running 24 / 7, and probably using barely trained people. I've heard that QC has fallen through the floor.

Betting that one of the rounds had the bullet inserted backwards.

Could there have been a bullet seated backwards and one the rite way in front of it in the same cartridge? Almost looks like some indication of powder burn on bullet that was squirbbed.

Could there have been a bullet seated backwards and one the rite way in front of it in the same cartridge? Almost looks like some indication of powder burn on bullet that was squirbbed.

Possible it was a double bullet with one being backwards and little or no powder ?

I don't think so. If there were two bullets in the cartridge then you would have 2 in the chamber/barrel. The front bullet is not going to shoot normal with a backward bullet behind it blocking the gas pressure.

I don't think so. If there were two bullets in the cartridge then you would have 2 in the chamber/barrel. The front bullet is not going to shoot normal with a backward bullet behind it blocking the gas pressure.
I seem to recall that @38ExtraSpecial has loaded 45-70 with 2 or 3 lead balls. What I don't know is the dynamics of that situation during ignition and shortly after. One would expect both projectiles to either stay or leave, but in this case, unlike in the 45-70 loads, there would have been a dearth of powder. This is a squibby situation. We know that, anyway, because while loading bullets backwards might interfere with semi-auto cycling, it's been done on purpose in revolvers, and there's no reason why the bullet wouldn't fly if just being backwards was its only problem. Depending on how deeply it was seated, a normal powder charge for a forward facing bullet might have been heavy or light, but it wouldn't have been squibby.

I'm not going to say it's impossible for a forward bullet to have enough kinetic energy to escape while leaving the rear bullet behind. The rear bullet, with the ogive facing backwards and pushing on the base of the forward bullet, could have experienced greater friction due to obturation. Also, if there had been any flow of gas around the rear bullet early in the firing sequence before the base of the rear bullet reached the end of the chamber, it might add some complexity to the situation by introducing a little separation, possibly allowing for a collision in the barrel to transfer kinetic energy from the rear bullet to the forward one.

I seem to recall that @38ExtraSpecial has loaded 45-70 with 2 or 3 lead balls. What I don't know is the dynamics of that situation during ignition and shortly after. One would expect both projectiles to either stay or leave, but in this case, unlike in the 45-70 loads, there would have been a dearth of powder. This is a squibby situation. We know that, anyway, because while loading bullets backwards might interfere with semi-auto cycling, it's been done on purpose in revolvers, and there's no reason why the bullet wouldn't fly if just being backwards was its only problem. Depending on how deeply it was seated, a normal powder charge for a forward facing bullet might have been heavy or light, but it wouldn't have been squibby.

I'm not going to say it's impossible for a forward bullet to have enough kinetic energy to escape while leaving the rear bullet behind. The rear bullet, with the ogive facing backwards and pushing on the base of the forward bullet, could have experienced greater friction due to obturation. Also, if there had been any flow of gas around the rear bullet early in the firing sequence before the base of the rear bullet reached the end of the chamber, it might add some complexity to the situation by introducing a little separation, possibly allowing for a collision in the barrel to transfer kinetic energy from the rear bullet to the forward one.

I think that's what I said only I used the Cliff Notes version. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom