• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb guy at the range

I saw a guy load a mag backwards. Still not sure how he got the bullets into the mag backwards... i have also been muzzle swept too many times... oh and i saw someone put their target up and proceed to shoot it point blank range...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

rifle pointing down the table, muzzle pointing at anyone sitting at the table. I informed him to point it down range and left.

1. Watch the muzzle! I've been swept too many times.
2. When calling the line cold to change targets, make sure to get confirmation from everyone on the line that the range is indeed cold. I've seen people nod as if there's some kind of understanding and then proceed downrange as someone else started firing.
3. No one likes it when someone starts picking up their brass - wait till it's in the bucket or just ask if that person is keeping their brass or not.
4. Do NOT handle firearms when someone is downrange. Yes, this too I have seen many times.

Bob's Tactical.

Woman on the right-side of the range shooting, then one of her friend asks her to turn around so she could get a picture of her. She muzzle sweeps the other shooters to her left as she turned, and then is pointing the pistol at her group of friends while the friend is taking the photo. It was 4 or 5 years ago; never been back since.

The worst thing I ever saw was several yeas back at the indoor range at MRA. Middle aged guy with 2 grown sons sets up in the lane two down from me. They are shooting a Ruger Mk III .22. They are switching off taking turns when the gun malfunctions so dad takes it to try to clear it. The slide is jammed shut and he cannot get it open. I look down for a second and when I look back he has the barrel against his chest and he is hitting the back of the slide with the heel of his hand to try to get it open. I freak out and yell cease fire and the guy turns the loaded gun around and sweeps me. I am trying to keep my cool and I ask him to please just put it down on the bench and step back. Turns out both he and his 2 sons had just gotten their licenses a few weeks back and this is their first trip to the range. As I am trying to talk to them about range safety another guy from the far end comes walking over to "assist" and he is carrying the pistol that he was just shooting with the action closed and he is sweeping everyone. At that point I said the hell with this and packed up and left. I never went back.

Bad muzzle control. I am tired of being swept by idiots who have no business handling firearms. It has gotten to the point that I am constantly looking over my shoulder when shooting indoors. As a result, my trips to the range have become a lot less frequent.

The worst thing I ever saw was several yeas back at the indoor range at MRA. Middle aged guy with 2 grown sons sets up in the lane two down from me. They are shooting a Ruger Mk III .22. They are switching off taking turns when the gun malfunctions so dad takes it to try to clear it. The slide is jammed shut and he cannot get it open. I look down for a second and when I look back he has the barrel against his chest and he is hitting the back of the slide with the heel of his hand to try to get it open. I freak out and yell cease fire and the guy turns the loaded gun around and sweeps me. I am trying to keep my cool and I ask him to please just put it down on the bench and step back. Turns out both he and his 2 sons had just gotten their licenses a few weeks back and this is their first trip to the range. As I am trying to talk to them about range safety another guy from the far end comes walking over to "assist" and he is carrying the pistol that he was just shooting with the action closed and he is sweeping everyone. At that point I said the hell with this and packed up and left. I never went back.

wow that's a bad one.

I was at an action shooting match and saw a guy shoot the floor in front of his feet while waiting for the buzzer to go off to start his round. = poor trigger discipline.

Two female MSP, one in uniform and one not, show up in a cruiser. They set up 2 life size upper torso targets on the 25 yard backboard. They each empty 2 full boxes of 9mm from various distances walking up towards their targets as they shoot. They police their brass and take down the targets. They ask me if I want the brass which I gladly take. They put their targets in the trash and leave. I check out the 2 targets. Out of 200 rounds fired, less than 24 holes in the paper between the 2 targets.

Most of the major stuff has been covered already- muzzle discipline, trigger discipline, thats 90% of it.

My personal peeve aside from the above is people picking up your brass. Ive lost count of how many times Ive had to stop shooting to let someone know I save my brass and just because its hit the ground doesnt mean it somehow belongs to them now.

My personal noobs mistakes- Changing out or checking my targets excessively. Didnt realize how much of a pain in the ass I was being until coming across a couple of people doing the same thing. Also didnt know that during a cease fire you needed to be away from the line. I knew the rifle had to be unloaded with the action open, hands off, etc but I just kind of hung out at the bench until I was politely corrected by someone.

brass rat walking on the range to pick up my brass while i'm still shooting thinking hes doing a good deed by keeping the range clean. I asked him to give me my brass back.

Two female MSP, one in uniform and one not, show up in a cruiser. They set up 2 life size upper torso targets on the 25 yard backboard. They each empty 2 full boxes of 9mm from various distances walking up towards their targets as they shoot. They police their brass and take down the targets. They ask me if I want the brass which I gladly take. They put their targets in the trash and leave. I check out the 2 targets. Out of 200 rounds fired, less than 24 holes in the paper between the 2 targets.

This is the least surprising thing I've read in this thread so far.

Most of the major stuff has been covered already- muzzle discipline, trigger discipline, thats 90% of it.

My personal peeve aside from the above is people picking up your brass. Ive lost count of how many times Ive had to stop shooting to let someone know I save my brass and just because its hit the ground doesnt mean it somehow belongs to them now.

My personal noobs mistakes- Changing out or checking my targets excessively. Didnt realize how much of a pain in the ass I was being until coming across a couple of people doing the same thing. Also didnt know that during a cease fire you needed to be away from the line. I knew the rifle had to be unloaded with the action open, hands off, etc but I just kind of hung out at the bench until I was politely corrected by someone.

I hang out by the bench and load mags. If someone has a problem with it amd they tell me I guess Ill stop, but it hasnt happened yet.

Its strange at the more populated ranges as when I'd shoot with just my friends, especially at smaller ranges when I was in western MA, its common sense applies/big boy rules... do whatever you want, just dont flag one another.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

RSOs and/or flashing lights. Because they distract you from just paying the **** attention and being a responsible adult.

Any range that has a round count limit for loading a firearm, because Fudds are dumb.

Tunnels, I.e. Non-blue Sky ranges, because if you can't keep your rounds on a berm, the club should remove you from the membership.

Range homeless people. You know, the people that think they're RSOs, but aren't. Never see them even touching a gun but they have no problem telling you all about yours and how to use it like a retarded Fudd in a manner of ineptitude that can only be matched by Diane Feinstein.

I hang out by the bench and load mags. If someone has a problem with it amd they tell me I guess Ill stop, but it hasnt happened yet..

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I see no reason to leave the line, just because it's cold. I also prefer the big boy rules. 1) don't point your gun at me. 2) don't put a round in my direction unless you like two way ranges.

I saw a guy load a mag backwards. Still not sure how he got the bullets into the mag backwards... i have also been muzzle swept too many times... oh and i saw someone put their target up and proceed to shoot it point blank range...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Lol well that is what you do when testing out a Seecamp. Been there....

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

I saw a young couple with their boy have a domestic dispute at Westford once. Their screaming at each other was getting worse so I left. No sense in being around distracted pissed off people with guns.

Sent via Tapatalk on my Android phone. Good news; Tapatalk sucks less than it used to.

I see no reason to leave the line, just because it's cold. I also prefer the big boy rules. 1) don't point your gun at me. 2) don't put a round in my direction unless you like two way ranges.

This pretty much sums it up.

I do worry when I go down to 200m that some imbecile is going to turn the light off & start shooting.

I saw a lot of stupid shit in Holliston before I gave up my membership: Been flagged too many times to count, had an idiot sight in his Ar15-23 on my wife's chest, had a group of twits wander around the range with a 12 ga, had people load pistols behind the line indoors, etc. it is only a matter of time.

Last edited:
This pretty much sums it up.

I do worry when I go down to 200m that some imbecile is going to turn the light off & start shooting.

I saw a lot of stupid shit in Holliston before I gave up my membership: Been flagged too many times to count, had an idiot sight in his Ar15-23 on my wife's chest, had a group of twits wander around the range with a 12 ga, had people load pistols behind the line indoors, etc. it is only a matter of time.

This is why I don't like the lights. I've seen both people turning them off while people are down range, and people not turning them on and others not looking downrange because "hey the light isn't on so it must be ok!"

The light IMO makes the range more dangerous, not less. Especially longer ranges 200yds or more. People are lazy. If there's a light, they won't actually scan downrange.

Indoor ranges are weird by nature. Not enough space to shoot and you're limited to the target right in front of you. Personally I don't care if people are loading guns behind the line, just don't point it at me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom