Dumb guy at the range

Imagine walking into the outdoor range at your club and seeing a couple guys firing AK's from the hip listening to this extremely loud on a boombox.
[video=youtube_share;klVe7_2UEQ8]http://youtu.be/klVe7_2UEQ8[/video]

I see no reason to leave the line, just because it's cold. I also prefer the big boy rules. 1) don't point your gun at me. 2) don't put a round in my direction unless you like two way ranges.

If it's cold range I usually step away from the line unless I'm shooting only with people I know. I'd rather not give a stranger an excuse to whine at me. Not to mention it ends up acting as a "trigger" of sorts if they've ever had some retard load up their rifle while the range was still cold, etc.

-Mike

My personal peeve aside from the above is people picking up your brass. Ive lost count of how many times Ive had to stop shooting to let someone know I save my brass and just because its hit the ground doesnt mean it somehow belongs to them now.

I ****ing hate brass rats. They'll be some old ****ing coot milling around your legs while you're trying to shoot, like a stray dog picking up table scraps or something, they can't even wait until you've packed your shit up and left. Half the time those guys aren't even club members, they're just douchebags that roam from club to club to turn the brass into cash for themselves.

Every club should have a rule "BRASS IS THE PROPERTY OF THE PERSON WHOSE GUN SPEWED IT UNLESS THE RANGE IS EMPTY OF OTHERS OR ITS IN THE BUCKET. YES, THIS RULE APPLIES TO YOU, OLD ****FACE, SO LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE."

-Mike

I saw a guy load a mag backwards.
Was he a photographer for HK?

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine walking into the outdoor range at your club and seeing a couple guys firing AK's from the hip listening to this extremely loud on a boombox.
[video=youtube_share;klVe7_2UEQ8]http://youtu.be/klVe7_2UEQ8[/video]
Better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jbgnJOpl2Q

A guy brought his brood of kids. Running all over the indoor range.

This pisses me off too. Kids don't belong on a range unless they're well behaved, have ear and eye pro, etc. In some cases I feel bad for the kids. One time this guy brought like 3 or 4 kids with him and they had no ear or eye pro including the guy himself I offered the guy free earplugs for the kids at least and he gave some bullshit excuse about why they didn't need them. I was just about done shooting, so I used that as a cue to finish packing my shit up and leave... because I didn't want to be part and parcel of that shit, not that it would matter anyways because the "dad" was shooting like a .357 magnum revolver with a pretty short barrel on it, I'm thinking "oh thats just wonderful, those kids are going to be hearing WEEEEEEEEEE for the next 2 days and possibly the rest of their life. What a great guy." [rolleyes]

-Mike

There is a difference between a "Dumb Guy" and an "Inexperienced Guy" - sometimes it's a mix. I try to be a "good range guy" - helping if appropriate, giving good feedback and generally trying to promote good handling practices.

7 yard shotgun patterns with a 45 acp generally get a pass from me - especially if he's trying to teach the wife. Obvious n00bs with no clue get more attention and direction to try to minimize the damage.

I'm that guy with a target out at 30 feet trying to clover leaf holes (ineffectively while my friends laugh).

Walking away from bad practices does 2 things:
lets you walk away
does not prevent future events - good or bad

How horrible would you feel about reading about an event that you personally could have prevented minutes earlier? Yeah, that's a pretty sh!tty scenario.

We all do what we think is right at the time, I'm no different. I've fawked up so much I coulda been in pron but I'm not - I'm still here trying to help the new folks. Maybe one day it will pay off.

There is a difference between a "Dumb Guy" and an "Inexperienced Guy" - sometimes it's a mix. I try to be a "good range guy" - helping if appropriate, giving good feedback and generally trying to promote good handling practices.

7 yard shotgun patterns with a 45 acp generally get a pass from me - especially if he's trying to teach the wife. Obvious n00bs with no clue get more attention and direction to try to minimize the damage.

I'm that guy with a target out at 30 feet trying to clover leaf holes (ineffectively while my friends laugh).

Walking away from bad practices does 2 things:
lets you walk away
does not prevent future events - good or bad

How horrible would you feel about reading about an event that you personally could have prevented minutes earlier? Yeah, that's a pretty sh!tty scenario.

We all do what we think is right at the time, I'm no different. I've fawked up so much I coulda been in pron but I'm not - I'm still here trying to help the new folks. Maybe one day it will pay off.

Depending on the circumstances I agree, sometimes a little education pays a lot of dividends. Some of these guys (like the guy with the herd of kids with no eye/earpro) are of the numb-skullington variety and you can tell right away that you're not gonna get anywhere with them. Coincidentally I only saw that guy that one time, but I would bet pretty much anything he got ratted out to the clubhouse and that was the end of that.

I just try to shoot at places where either A. someone is is being the baby/hall monitor and does a fair job of it without being obnoxious or B. its the kind of club that usually screens out 99% of those people to begin with, or C... the club is underutilized enough that you don't have to worry about others because the "others" are not usually there. [laugh]

-Mike

"Hello - I shoot at Bob's Tactical and I'm still alive."

The range is changing and so are the clients - it's not the place you knew 3 years ago.
I hope so because 8 years ago I almost got stabbed and/or shot by some guy bragging about his brand new n-word skin boots. Last time I ever set foot in that shit hole. I mean I hope I would have done ok. But, I was outnumbered. Nice place. Full of white supremacists back then. Screw them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I hope so because 8 years ago I almost got stabbed and/or shot by some guy bragging about his brand new n-word skin boots. Last time I ever set foot in that shit hole. I mean I hope I would have done ok. But, I was outnumbered. Nice place. Full of white supremacists back then. Screw them.

It's only changed ownership and staff like 2 or 3 times since then (I'm exaggerating, but like Sprocket says, its not the same place) so you'll probably be safe, at least from the staff.

That doesn't mean it's a good place to shoot, at least not on the weekends.

-Mike

It's only changed ownership and staff like 2 or 3 times since then (I'm exaggerating, but like Sprocket says, its not the same place) so you'll probably be safe, at least from the staff.

That doesn't mean it's a good place to shoot, at least not on the weekends.

-Mike
Last I checked the staff member who's friend this guy was is still there. I checked fairly recently.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Most of the major stuff has been covered already- muzzle discipline, trigger discipline, thats 90% of it.

My personal peeve aside from the above is people picking up your brass. Ive lost count of how many times Ive had to stop shooting to let someone know I save my brass and just because its hit the ground doesnt mean it somehow belongs to them now.

My personal noobs mistakes- Changing out or checking my targets excessively. Didnt realize how much of a pain in the ass I was being until coming across a couple of people doing the same thing. Also didnt know that during a cease fire you needed to be away from the line. I knew the rifle had to be unloaded with the action open, hands off, etc but I just kind of hung out at the bench until I was politely corrected by someone.

The other side of this is the guys that setup 4 targets and have 600 rounds of ammo and act all pissy when you want to go cold to setup a new target. Half the time they don't really care where they hit they are just making loud bang sounds.

Had a guy at AFS tap me on the shoulder while I was shooting and when I turned around he was vigorously trying to clear a jam in his POS S&W Sigma, with the muzzle pointed right at my chest.
I shouted WTF at him and grabbed it out of his hand and started a profanity laced tirade letting him know it was not cool to point a gun a people.

To their credit, the guys that work there saw the whole thing on camera and barged in and threw the guy out.

I frequently saw guys load their magazines, slap it home and chamber a round at the shelves behind the firing line, and then turn and walk up to the line with a loaded handgun. I said something to one older guy that did it and he gave me a rash of shit, saying " The safety was on"

Question: if you're supposed to sweep up after yourself and your brass is intermingled with those of other shooters', what do you do? I don't want to leave a mess behind when I leave the range, nor do I want to piss off others. FWIW, I toss it all in the brass bucket. Thanks.

Question: if you're supposed to sweep up after yourself and your brass is intermingled with those of other shooters', what do you do? I don't want to leave a mess behind when I leave the range, nor do I want to piss off others. FWIW, I toss it all in the brass bucket. Thanks.

Sweep it up, let the brass monkeys sort it out.

(Nothing against reloaded--I'm talking about the people practically hunched over like the Old Dutch cleaner lady waiting to pick up anyone's brass.)

Had a guy at AFS tap me on the shoulder while I was shooting and when I turned around he was vigorously trying to clear a jam in his POS S&W Sigma, with the muzzle pointed right at my chest.
I shouted WTF at him and grabbed it out of his hand and started a profanity laced tirade letting him know it was not cool to point a gun a people.

To their credit, the guys that work there saw the whole thing on camera and barged in and threw the guy out.

I frequently saw guys load their magazines, slap it home and chamber a round at the shelves behind the firing line, and then turn and walk up to the line with a loaded handgun. I said something to one older guy that did it and he gave me a rash of shit, saying " The safety was on"

I see zero problem with this. If this bothers you, people carrying guns in general should bother you, because they're all loaded.

Outdoor range a few years ago. Shooting a rifle out to 100 yards with my son. Two guys come in and stand there for about 20 or so seconds. Figured they are going to wait till my son finished a mag.....dud just walks out with a metal target to set it up about 20 yards to my left between the benches....while my son is still shooting. I yell cease fire which my son does. I lost it.....yelled at the guy what the **** are you doing the range was not clear or cold. He said he was sorry but didnt want to bother me and he was in a hurry cuz he had to get to work. Wtf

I see zero problem with this. If this bothers you, people carrying guns in general should bother you, because they're all loaded.

If we lived in a world where gun owners were all super duper safe and aware of muzzle direction etc. etc. I would agree with you. The reason some of those rules exist is for the stupidity edge cases. The guy that loads it behind the line, chambers a round then walks to the line with his finger on the trigger muzzle sweeping 4 other people in the process.

If you're at a private range with a few close friends that you trust with your life (literally) yeah, it's not a big deal. If you're at a range with a bunch of ****ing nitwits that can't seem to stop pointing the damn gun at you then it becomes an issue much faster. If the "club rules" say the gun I was just swept with has to be unloaded at least that is a small bit of comfort. If that rule doesn't exist and I just got swept with a loaded glock because "the safety was on" it becomes much less comfortable.

If we lived in a world where gun owners were all super duper safe and aware of muzzle direction etc. etc. I would agree with you. The reason some of those rules exist is for the stupidity edge cases. The guy that loads it behind the line, chambers a round then walks to the line with his finger on the trigger muzzle sweeping 4 other people in the process.

If you're at a private range with a few close friends that you trust with your life (literally) yeah, it's not a big deal. If you're at a range with a bunch of ****ing nitwits that can't seem to stop pointing the damn gun at you then it becomes an issue much faster. If the "club rules" say the gun I was just swept with has to be unloaded at least that is a small bit of comfort. If that rule doesn't exist and I just got swept with a loaded glock because "the safety was on" it becomes much less comfortable.

My position is one of two things prevent this:

1) Range owners policing people and being responsible for their customers. This means throwing people like that out.
2) Don't go there if you're afraid.

When you start stacking up meaningless rules, instead of enforcing responsibility and proper gun handling safety, you're part of the problem. If a guy is muzzle sweeping with his finger on the trigger, the solution is to address that person, not place a burden on others. Don't punish the responsible for what the irresponsible do.

I saw a guy fail to control the muzzle rise on a 9mm (yes, a 9mm) and shoot the lights out on the ceiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My position is one of two things prevent this:

1) Range owners policing people and being responsible for their customers. This means throwing people like that out.
2) Don't go there if you're afraid.

When you start stacking up meaningless rules, instead of enforcing responsibility and proper gun handling safety, you're part of the problem. If a guy is muzzle sweeping with his finger on the trigger, the solution is to address that person, not place a burden on others. Don't punish the responsible for what the irresponsible do.

How do you handle that at a membership range when there are no RSO's and the other guy tells you to go **** yourself he knows what he's doing? Just avoid using the range when anyone else is there? Start a list of people you won't shoot if they are there? Report him to the leadership of the range? I'm not afraid of going to MRGCI because people generally follow protocol, load up on the line when it's hot, don't touch firearms if the range is cold, don't muzzle sweep other people. If these things weren't rules and a new member/firearm owner wasn't aware it could easily turn into a shit show.

Your argument breaks down with how new people learn range etiquette and where pigheaded *******s are involved. The case where the guy told the other guy to **** off because the safety was on isn't really acceptable to me. That's poor firearm handling no matter how you slice it. There are plenty of people out there that think friendly safety advice is critiquing them and calling them stupid and will get defensive about it.

I agree with you that some clubs get completely out of hand with the safety shit though. I used to be a member at NFGA and it wasn't even fun to shoot there because of all the qualifications, range rules, "private" events and such. Somewhere between that and an open field with targets setup and no rules is probably a good place.

"Punish responsible people" seriously? Asking someone not to be walking around behind the firing line with a loaded gun is punishment? What's the point even having ranges at all, people can just shoot the signs on the side of the highway, as long as they know what's beyond the target it's safe so who cares?

Last edited:
How do you handle that at a membership range when there are no RSO's and the other guy tells you to go **** yourself he knows what he's doing? Just avoid using the range when anyone else is there? Start a list of people you won't shoot if they are there? Report him to the leadership of the range? I'm not afraid of going to MRGCI because people generally follow protocol, load up on the line when it's hot, don't touch firearms if the range is cold, don't muzzle sweep other people. If these things weren't rules and a new member/firearm owner wasn't aware it could easily turn into a shit show.

Your argument breaks down with how new people learn range etiquette and where pigheaded *******s are involved. The case where the guy told the other guy to **** off because the safety was on isn't really acceptable to me. That's poor firearm handling no matter how you slice it. There are plenty of people out there that think friendly safety advice is critiquing them and calling them stupid and will get defensive about it.

I agree with you that some clubs get completely out of hand with the safety shit though. I used to be a member at NFGA and it wasn't even fun to shoot there because of all the qualifications, range rules, "private" events and such. Somewhere between that and an open field with targets setup and no rules is probably a good place.

I'm saying I simply warn the person in a manner that make sit clear I'm not ****ing around. When people are putting your life in direct danger with poor trigger discipline, that shit needs to stop and if you're in the area you need to make that happen. This is no different than any other situation in life where something dangerous happens that you see caused by negligence.

If they aren't listening, then hell yes you report them to the range ownership/board. You don't need people like that as members and as a member its your responsibility to report it. I find stupid things being done at the range a few times a year. I report every single one of those instances at our monthly range meetings, because I like my range staying open and stubborn *******s with retard gun handling are how ranges get shut down.

I don't like people loading guns behind the line or handling (supposedly) unloaded guns when I'm downrange. Basic safety rules - treat every gun as if it's loaded, so if I put up a target, turn around, and you have a gun in your hand, I will be very clear as to what I think of you and you are absolutely getting reported. A shooting range is not the place to go lax on safety.

Outdoor range a few years ago. Shooting a rifle out to 100 yards with my son. Two guys come in and stand there for about 20 or so seconds. Figured they are going to wait till my son finished a mag.....dud just walks out with a metal target to set it up about 20 yards to my left between the benches....while my son is still shooting. I yell cease fire which my son does. I lost it.....yelled at the guy what the **** are you doing the range was not clear or cold. He said he was sorry but didnt want to bother me and he was in a hurry cuz he had to get to work. Wtf

I had a guy do that at a range I belonged to when I still lived in Tennessee. Probably 5-6 guys on the line firing away and this joker just took off wandering downrange. I think we all had a contest to see who could yell at him the loudest....lol.

Back
Top Bottom