Dumb guy at the range

I was at an outlaw practical pistol event when visiting a friend, a guy was there with his 2 nephews. they were wrestling around in between stages and were told to stop by the RO, about a minute later they start up again when the uncle un-holstered his 1911 put it to his nephews stomach and pulled the trigger..... everybody freaked out and the RO kicked them out. the uncles reply was "oh chill the f.... out, it wasn't loaded"

I was at an outlaw practical pistol event when visiting a friend, a guy was there with his 2 nephews. they were wrestling around in between stages and were told to stop by the RO, about a minute later they start up again when the uncle un-holstered his 1911 put it to his nephews stomach and pulled the trigger..... everybody freaked out and the RO kicked them out. the uncles reply was "oh chill the f.... out, it wasn't loaded"

HO LEE ****.

That's a good way to get yourself shot in my presence.

I agree with most of that. However, adding a buffer to some of those rules provides responsible people with additional protection from the imbeciles who think they are safe but don't have the self awareness to actually be safe.

Aside from the four safety rules, extra rules keep us safer?

What bigblue said.

Also, I got chewed out by my club's president once for going downrange with a rifle on a sling over my shoulder and the bolt open. This is despite the fact that there was no one else on the range and he happened to show up as I was walking back. After that I started taking the bolt out when heading downrange with no one around but with semi-autos F it, slinging it. The last thing I want to see when putting up targets is someone jumping out of the woods and grabbing my rifle.

Aside from the four safety rules, extra rules keep us safer?

No just some extra space to make the four rules BIGGER... Just sayin you don't always get to chose the guy shooting next to you and it only takes one imbecile to have a bad day.

What bigblue said.

Also, I got chewed out by my club's president once for going downrange with a rifle on a sling over my shoulder and the bolt open. This is despite the fact that there was no one else on the range and he happened to show up as I was walking back. After that I started taking the bolt out when heading downrange with no one around but with semi-autos F it, slinging it. The last thing I want to see when putting up targets is someone jumping out of the woods and grabbing my rifle.

You need to give your money to a different range.

No just some extra space to make the four rules BIGGER... Just sayin you don't always get to chose the guy shooting next to you and it only takes one imbecile to have a bad day.

Gotcha. This is why I don't go to those public ranges, too many newbies not to mention shooting indoors sucks.

You need to give your money to a different range.
I go to Harvard and this has been my only gripe with it and it's minor since I'm rarely there alone. There's no better ranges that I'm aware of.

WTF?! [shocked]

It's these s***heads that give us gun owners an even worse rep.

Gotcha. This is why I don't go to those public ranges, too many newbies not to mention shooting indoors sucks.

Agreed. I have a difficult time getting the wife and friends to come shoot pistol outside with me in the winter so occasionally I suck it up and go inside.

Most of what I have mentioned here occurred at MFS and is precisely why I left. I felt safer in Attleboro and that's saying something.

Hopkinton & Harvard are veritable bastions of safety in comparison. Even indoors at Hopkinton I can't think of a time where I have been Holy Shit scared. On the rifle range there have been a few incidents of idiots who say "I'm going downrange", flip the lights on, and walk downrange despite the fact that I am mid clip or mag. The BOD generally does a strong job of policing idiots and we have tightened our new member policies in the past year.

What we know about the person is the crux of the issue I guess. For example, I'd have no problem with shooting at varying distances with certain friends... on the other hand some people are blatantly unsafe with firearms, and if I don't know them I assume this until show otherwise.

only thing that you need to do is follow the safety rules
1. Treat all firearms as if they where loaded
2. muzzle in safe direction-----handle it as if where loaded
3. trigger off the trigger until your ready to shoot- treat it as if it where loaded

then the common rules for the range your on examples
There is no handling of firearms, parts, magazines or ammunition when the lights are on.
Be aware of others around you and dont be afraid to say something to unsafe people

after that DUMB can be subjective

I go to Harvard and this has been my only gripe with it and it's minor since I'm rarely there alone. There's no better ranges that I'm aware of.

That sounds unusual for HSC.... do they REALLY have a rule about not carrying around an unloaded rifle? Or is it "no handling firearms while the range is cold" and somehow they consider that handling...

-Mike

I've felt pretty safe shooting indoors at MFL and S&W when it was still open, but that's about it. Every other indoor pay range basically is sketchy at best.

The shitty thing is I think a lot of the newb mentality is going to bleed over into private clubs and its going to cause some of them to crank up the rules... honestly I'd rather see them make the clubs twice as hard to get into before they add more shitty rules to any of them.

-Mike

That sounds unusual for HSC.... do they REALLY have a rule about not carrying around an unloaded rifle? Or is it "no handling firearms while the range is cold" and somehow they consider that handling...

-Mike
The latter. I told him I wasn't handling it and he said I was. Well, my hands weren't on it so unless my shoulder can use the sling to point the rifle, insert a live round that's on the bench, close the bolt, and pull the trigger, I don't see what the issue is.

I'd prefer to carry a loaded rifle down-range if I am going down alone... though many places frown upon that.

Mike

I wouldn't care about having to have the rifle unloaded as long as I can carry a holstered pistol... better than nothing.

-Mike

6 pages, and no mention of a loaded chamber indicator? Doesn't everyone rely on them to know the state of their chamber?

...I kid, I kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All at bobs .

Non English speaking group of young Japanese mixed dudes and girls. Girls dressed like school girls....muzzle swept me cause my 45 was louder then there 9mm . I flipped out on them . And gave basic rules with gestures lol. One girl swept me when she got brass down her shirt also .

Saw a women shoot the left wall 2 times in a row when changing mags. It was like she pulled the trigger as soon as she let go of the slide . Pointed out the fresh marks on the wall.... Then showed her how to rack it with you finger not on the trigger .

Mix group trying to shoot a glock gangster not realize there sweep every one to there right cause the couldn't control recoil.

Saw one dude hand a 500sw to his wife. One round down range and the second in the ceiling .

I agree with not moving guns while downrange, but I think the "no handling behind the line" is ridiculous. Everyone has to handle firearms behind the line. That's how guns get to the line. What you really mean is "don't muzzle sweep me or finger bang the trigger behind the line". Which should be the rules enforced.

I disagree. The guns should be bagged until the shooter is on the line with nothing between him (or her) and the back stop. Any other practice is an invitation for disaster.

All at bobs . Non English speaking group of young Japanese mixed dudes and girls. Girls dressed like school girls....muzzle swept me cause my 45 was louder then there 9mm . I flipped out on them . And gave basic rules with gestures lol. One girl swept me when she got brass down her shirt also . Saw a women shoot the left wall 2 times in a row when changing mags. It was like she pulled the trigger as soon as she let go of the slide . Pointed out the fresh marks on the wall.... Then showed her how to rack it with you finger not on the trigger . Mix group trying to shoot a glock gangster not realize there sweep every one to there right cause the couldn't control recoil. Saw one dude hand a 500sw to his wife. One round down range and the second in the ceiling .

Thanks. I just had a mini panic attack reading through those. Jeebus.

6 pages, and no mention of a loaded chamber indicator? Doesn't everyone rely on them to know the state of their chamber?

...I kid, I kid.

This has been implemented at both clubs i belong to. ECIs or else.

All at bobs .

Non English speaking group of young Japanese mixed dudes and girls. Girls dressed like school girls....

One girl swept me when she got brass down her shirt also .

Wait a second. Where are the pictures of those girls?

I disagree. The guns should be bagged until the shooter is on the line with nothing between him (or her) and the back stop. Any other practice is an invitation for disaster.

While I think things like USPSA/IDPA safety rules are great for those kinds of event formats because of the consistency of the rules and the relatively unknown quality of the shooters WRT safety and gear (it reduces the amount of shit the RO/SOs have to be looking out for which makes the things manageable) I think for standard range operations at any decent club that stuff is way, way overkill.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom