Dumb guy at the range

What's the consensus on drawing from the holster at the range? I was told it was a no no. Not sure if some previous idiots drew fast like they were in a Western shootout and ruined it for everyone. But I was thinking of slower draw from a carry gun. Is this okay in general at other clubs?
depends on the range. Some allow it some dont.

This I see at my range and it pisses me off. Just this weekend I had a .22 target set at 50 yards so I could shoot for one hole groups. I forgot my rear bag so I was not tight enough. I stopped shooting to talk with someone and when I went to get my target it was full of .308 holes from a new member.

If YOU don't put up a target then it's not YOUR target.
oh man tell me about it. I went to the club early (1 hour before hot time as sundays we cant shoot till noon) and got everythin set up for a friends group whonhad never shot before. Pasted about 15 targets out at 25-100 yards. Got in the truck to drive to the clubhouse to take a leak at about 1130. I heard gunfire. Went back and two ass clowns were shooting an ar. I told em no shooting till noom club rules and asked for their menbership cards. "Uh uh uh we know bill and hes a member". Anyway.....these ****sticks put holes in All 15 targets. So.....after they replaced em all i told em to screw. Took the plate number and informed club leaders but never heard anything on it.

Sweepers and piss poor gun handling from these 4 hour "wonder" class graduates, comprise 95% of the range issues I address.
Shame on the 4 hour LTC class.

Last edited:
If your a new shooter if someone says something to you or offers a suggestion don't just blow them off. You may ruin their day of shooting if you are acting in an unsafe manner.

I was shooting and a couple that looked new to shooting came in and set up. As the range can be busy and have folks of varrious experience levels always keep an eye out.

Couple starts shooting an auto pistol. While loading my mags I glance over and see the girl is holding the gun with thumbs laced at the back of the grip (just asking to get hit by the slide).

Once they finish the mag I ask if I may offer a suggestion. I show them how to properly hold the pistol and explain why the way she is holding it is not recommended. They are polite about it. I shot another mag at my target and look over and the original grip is back.

I Packed up and left. Last thing i wanted was to be standing next to a new shooter who just had their hand torn open by the slide.

I see zero problem with this. If this bothers you, people carrying guns in general should bother you, because they're all loaded.

I was in a rush to get to the office- should have elaborated. Guy was not holstered or even pointed at the floor. He had his pistol leveled at waist height and when he turned around to walk to the line he literally muzzle swept 180 degrees and everyone on that side of the range. Including me and my son who was about 11 at the time.

When people are carrying loaded guns, I expect (demand?) that they keep the ****ing things holstered. When somebody is holding it in his hands, that's a no-go for me, unless he is planning to defend his life, and I would do likewise.

Nah, I have been around firearms all my life and was an 03 Marine a million years ago. Loaded guns really are not a problem as long as you don't point them at people. A loaded rifle slung over a hunter's shoulder is fine. Muzzle direction and trigger discipline are what matters.

What I have always told my son is that if you never point a firearm at someone, you will never accidentally shoot someone. Ask Dick Cheney

Sweepers and piss poor gun handling from these 4 hour "wonder" class graduates, comprise 95% of the range issues I address.

You are SOOOOOO right. We should DEMAND 80 hours of class, along with a 5 page essay to the chief of police, explaining clearly and concisely why a peasant should be able to have a sharp piece of steel, before we allow anyone to exercise their right to defend themselves.

Bootlicking Natickite. Bunch of pussies. You're probably the same person who voted to get rid of the Redman Logo.

This sentiment you express is the reason this country if Focked!

I don't like people loading guns behind the line or handling (supposedly) unloaded guns when I'm downrange. Basic safety rules - treat every gun as if it's loaded, so if I put up a target, turn around, and you have a gun in your hand, I will be very clear as to what I think of you and you are absolutely getting reported. A shooting range is not the place to go lax on safety.
+1

We had my bachelor party at Manchester Firing Line. Everyone did really well with the range rules and such even the new shooters. We rented the Tommy gun they had, which was fun ass hell! But one of the guys who was with us wasnt prepared for the full auto much. After a couple bursts went well he wanted to do a mag dump.. half of them ended up in the ceiling..

The two biggies that will get your ass torn up IMHO are muzzle sweeping and handing guns while people are downrange.
I'm pretty laid back but have gone hog wild on people fiddling with a gun while someone is downrange, especially if it my kid.
There where two young guys at the range one time, and the first time they did it my kid and neighbor were setting targets and it was a polite "Would you guys mind setting those down?"
The second time while they were down range the guy slapped in a mag and chambered a round.
Polite went out the window real F-ing quick.
Haven't seen either idiot there since.
It's rare, but you do run into the occasional mutton head.

Sooooo....are you saying there should be MORE requires training in order to obtain the government permission slip to exercize a constitutionally recognized right?

I
you either take it as life and death or you dont. Eight hours of schooling a moron only keeps everybody safe only for those extra four hours. [rofl]

Last edited:
Iyou either take it as life and death or you dont. Eight hours of schooling a moron only keeps everybody safe only for those extra four hours. [rofl]

Clearly those extra 4 hours are critical in determining how safe a new gun owner/shooter will be...

Bad muzzle control. I am tired of being swept by idiots who have no business handling firearms. It has gotten to the point that I am constantly looking over my shoulder when shooting indoors. As a result, my trips to the range have become a lot less frequent.
My range is an indoor range its open 24 hours with badge access. I usually go about 8 or 9 p.m. when there's nobody there. I won't even shoot if these idiots are around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The worst thing I ever saw was several yeas back at the indoor range at MRA. Middle aged guy with 2 grown sons sets up in the lane two down from me. They are shooting a Ruger Mk III .22. They are switching off taking turns when the gun malfunctions so dad takes it to try to clear it. The slide is jammed shut and he cannot get it open. I look down for a second and when I look back he has the barrel against his chest and he is hitting the back of the slide with the heel of his hand to try to get it open. I freak out and yell cease fire and the guy turns the loaded gun around and sweeps me. I am trying to keep my cool and I ask him to please just put it down on the bench and step back. Turns out both he and his 2 sons had just gotten their licenses a few weeks back and this is their first trip to the range. As I am trying to talk to them about range safety another guy from the far end comes walking over to "assist" and he is carrying the pistol that he was just shooting with the action closed and he is sweeping everyone. At that point I said the hell with this and packed up and left. I never went back.

holy crap

How much training is "enough"? I can probably drill safety into your head at the range in about half an hour by explaining the rules and watching you shoot. Giving decent instruction that involves how guns actually work, what some of the laws are that you need to know, etc is significantly longer but I can cover that in 4-5 hours - that's your safety course in MA, plus range. Do I think that's enough for you to be an effective concealed carrier? HELL NO! You definitely need more training!

BUT.... I would never advocate for that to be legally mandated and a precursor to exercising your rights. Everyone SHOULD get more training but they shouldn't HAVE TO.

I agree with not moving guns while downrange, but I think the "no handling behind the line" is ridiculous. Everyone has to handle firearms behind the line. That's how guns get to the line. What you really mean is "don't muzzle sweep me or finger bang the trigger behind the line". Which should be the rules enforced.

Theres just no reason to be messing with your guns and ammo behind the line. Keep them in the case or holstered and pointed downrange. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that?

Newb here with little range experience.

Tell me something you saw at the range that made you think... That guy (or girl) is dumb. Newb experiences that made you look dumb are welcomed.

Just remember, when in doubt don't do it. If you have a malfunction and don't know how to resolve the problem place the gun down(pointed down range) and ask someone for help

I would bet everyone here has made a mistake or 2. My biggest was sweeping the line at a service rifle shoot - action open flag in place clearly visible, but I was in sitting position and got all freaking twisted up with sling, momentarily lost focus and rolled rifle end to end. No mag, action open - but took the deserved tongue lashing in stride.

I have gone ballistic on a couple, I called cease fire at an indoor range when the guy shooting to my right had a round blow his revolver in pieces - the guy to my right just turned to face us pointed his loaded handgun with finger on trigger.
I controlled the situation physically which he didn't appreciate, but all I did was force his arm down range....
Regarding handling a firearm while down range, I was at the 200 yd targets - and when I walked down had been the only shooter on the line - I turned back and there was a shooter at the bench aiming right at me. Needless to say, I was unhappy. I got to the line and his bolt was closed with mag in place - his excuse was the safety was on - what's the big deal! I left without retrieving my target.
My pet peeve on the other side is that a couple ranges I shoot at are "cold" in that they don't allow loaded concealed handguns - what! That is a rule I break every time. I also don't like that my main indoor range 'does not allow drawing from holster" I obey if there are other shooters as there is more likelihood of sweeping somebody, but when I am alone it's between me and the cameras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
More common courtesy related rather than safety related:

On arrival on a recent trip to the outdoor range, first thing as usual I got an empty frame from the stack, put a nice brand new target on it, leaned it up on my bag behind the line, and turned my back for a second to say hello to someone while waiting for the range to go cold. It was pretty busy.
In the few seconds my back was turned, some Bozo and his friends arrived and apparently had taken my frame and fresh target off my bag and put it out instead of getting their own target.
It took me a few seconds to spot it, placed 5 or 6 spots over.
Taking an appropriate amount of time, I went downrange and moved the frame back over to my spot.
Back behind the line, the Bozo finally noticed "his" target was gone and whined "hey that's my target!" as I walked back, the last one back from down range.
I laughed right at him as the range went hot again before he and his group realized they wouldn't be shooting as soon as they'd hoped.

Dumb guy had to wait a long time to shoot that day..

I enjoy the club i belong to, its big boy rules and have only seen a couple minor things. One thing i did see was a dad brought his maybe 8 year old kid to the range to clearly shoot for the first time. I am all in favor of this but he comes down to the 100-200 yard part of the range where we are all shooting bigger rifle cartridges with myself shooting M44 so needless to say it was loud. The kid was ghost white, clearly scared. As a young kid with his first exposure to firearms being 3-4 dudes going to town with their rifles I cant blame him. I thought his dad was going to pull out a .22 tube fed rifle or something else good for a young small shooter, nooopee. He brings out a M&p sport. A 5.56 is not a round that kicks to a adult, but for a small frame almost toddler it was disastrous. The kid starts crying, the dad is getting frustrated almost yelling, it got awkward quick and i left. I would never tell someone how to raise their own kid but if i was going to introduce a young new shooter i would try and ease them into it, but to each their own.

When I first got my license I was going to an indoor range around here to shoot. One time, I saw a guy spinning his revolver on his finger like a cowboy.

I promptly left and came back here and posted about what I saw, but did not name names. I think someone from the range probably reads NES and figured it out because the next time I went it was like full lock down mode.

Easily the stupidest thing I've ever seen anyone do at a range. I have encountered people who stink of booze and weren't being amazingly safe, though.

I hang out by the bench and load mags. If someone has a problem with it amd they tell me I guess Ill stop, but it hasnt happened yet.

the problem is I don't know if you're an idiot or not so if you're f'ing with your gun while I'm going down range (in front of your gun), I'm going to have an issue with it. It also sets a bad precedent for actual idiots who will mimic your behavior and do something stupid.

I saw a guy put a laser bore sight into his MP-15/22 rifle and then proceed to chamber a round in the rifle. That day I had to step in before he pulled the trigger.

Theres just no reason to be messing with your guns and ammo behind the line. Keep them in the case or holstered and pointed downrange. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that?

Are you kidding? How many firearms do you normally bring to the range? How much ammo? Do you actually train, or jus throw 10 rounds at a 5yd target and that's your range day?

Back
Top Bottom