Dumb guy at the range

Are you kidding? How many firearms do you normally bring to the range? How much ammo? Do you actually train, or jus throw 10 rounds at a 5yd target and that's your range day?
Im assuming he means when the range is cold and im downrange....dont **** with your guns. I agree with this. If you wanna load mags fine but leave the guns alone.

Im assuming he means when the range is cold and im downrange....dont **** with your guns. I agree with this. If you wanna load mags fine but leave the guns alone.

I'm not sure that's what he meant, since I specifically agreed with no handling while down range earlier.

the problem is I don't know if you're an idiot or not so if you're f'ing with your gun while I'm going down range (in front of your gun), I'm going to have an issue with it. It also sets a bad precedent for actual idiots who will mimic your behavior and do something stupid.

I don't touch any firearms, I stand back so people can see I'm not messing with them and load mags. If I am at the range with exclusively friends... different rules.

Mike

Sweepers and piss poor gun handling from these 4 hour "wonder" class graduates, comprise 95% of the range issues I address.
Shame on the 4 hour LTC class.

How many hours should it take for someone to understand that pointing a gun at someone with their finger on the trigger isnt a good idea. If they dont get it in 4 hours, they aint gonna get it in 40 hours.

Saw the aftermath of a trainer that allowed a student to shoot .223 at a soft metal .22lr target at 50ft. A bystander was struck with the bullet's jacket and had to have it removed at the local ER.

Often see ignorant shooters placing various "targets" on the ground way in front of the impact area. Bullets skip right over the impact area.

Can't count how many times I've been swept or witness someone being swept.

Theres just no reason to be messing with your guns and ammo behind the line. Keep them in the case or holstered and pointed downrange. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that?

+1. The only place to handle firearms safely is on the line. Your AD will end up in the backstop where it belongs, not in someone's body. Anyone who doesn't get this needs retraining.

This pisses me off too. Kids don't belong on a range unless they're well behaved, have ear and eye pro, etc. In some cases I feel bad for the kids. One time this guy brought like 3 or 4 kids with him and they had no ear or eye pro including the guy himself I offered the guy free earplugs for the kids at least and he gave some bullshit excuse about why they didn't need them. I was just about done shooting, so I used that as a cue to finish packing my shit up and leave... because I didn't want to be part and parcel of that shit, not that it would matter anyways because the "dad" was shooting like a .357 magnum revolver with a pretty short barrel on it, I'm thinking "oh thats just wonderful, those kids are going to be hearing WEEEEEEEEEE for the next 2 days and possibly the rest of their life. What a great guy." [rolleyes]

-Mike
A little off topic but this reminded me of something I saw at the show in Marlboro. Guy looking, with his hands, at some handguns. His kid of 6 to maybe 8 is picking up handguns like they were toys, pointing them around and at himself. I was relieved when it became obvious he was a looker, not an owner. Hopefully he'll smarten up before his kid gets hurt by his stupidity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4 Hours is simply not long enough of a class for a new inductee into OUR gun family to learn baseline safety and discipline and essays are for dictatorist cops. My points are out here, in gun land WITH my name attached, for all to see and I will back them up with facts, not name calling... I note your anonymity.
Nonetheless... 95% of the problems, I address on the range, ARE 4 hour graduates, whats your issue with that?
Perhaps you were born with inherent firearm safety knowledge?
Did you make it to the statehouse last week to share your keen and insightful wit regarding potential firearms legislation with our electorate?
I am on record as being entirely against changing the Redmen moniker.

4 Hours is simply not long enough of a class for a new inductee into OUR gun family to learn baseline safety and discipline and essays are for dictatorist cops. My points are out here, in gun land WITH my name attached, for all to see and I will back them up with facts, not name calling... I note your anonymity.
Nonetheless... 95% of the problems, I address on the range, ARE 4 hour graduates, whats your issue with that?
Did you make it to the statehouse last week to share your keen and insightful wit regarding potential firearms legislation with our electorate?
I am on record as being entirely against changing the Redmen moniker.[/QUOTE

Wow. Move to NY. I think they have the type of laws you are looking for.

Don't ever travel or move to 90% of the rest of the county. I hear it's a bloodbath without the 4 hr requirement. No one could ever learn how to fire a gun safely without a formal class.

Maybe we should make people who haven't taken a safety course wear yellow stars too. JFC.

It's unbelievably apparent you've been brainwashed by living where you do.

You're a disgrace to Natick, men, Americans and human beings in general. -1. And I wish I could give -10.

Have you always been controlling?

Barnstable range

Some old guy popped his head up right in front of my rifle while I was aiming down the sights, finger on trigger, live range. Turned out he was bending over picking up brass.
he almost became a lead collector. [laugh]

This thread makes me even more thankful that my backyard is my range. Sure I enjoy the occasional trip to an indoor pistol or fancy outdoor rifle setup....but I have some big piles of sand out back and a portable caldwell stable table. Seeming as how I haven't build a structure over where I like to setup for long range rifle shooting yet and I am totally against the idea of an umbrella, 100%, you got me on a rainy day!

I was starting to think I was being overly critical at the range but glad others share my anger. I'm a fairly new shooter but feel that the less experience you have, the more caution you should take with every second that you handle the firearm. I have already seen countless people leaving firearms with actions closed on benches and ones more focused on taking pictures than concentrating on the fact that they have a loaded firearm in their hand. So frustrating, luckily my work schedule allows me to go at odd times when the range is usually dead.

Funniest I have seen is a guy with what looked to be a full zombie sleeve tattoo, AR with zombie dust cover/logo, and tinted glasses literally take out his AR and just empty mags at the largest paper targets I have ever seen.....at maybe 10 yards and one final one at around 20 yards. Must have gone through a total of 200+ rounds in 30 minutes including reload time. Looking at his targets was hilarious, maybe 2 foot groupings lol after going through the same stellar routine with his .45, he just packed up and left.

About 6 guys with 4-5 AR's between them on the left end of the range when I show up to shoot. As I'm setting up I can't help but notice by their weapons handling and conversation that maybe one of them has even a remote clue what the hell he's doing. And I think that was from movies or Call of Duty. Then, one of them takes a hot weapon and starts walking left to right along the firing line (and behind me) stopping every 3 or 4 stations to fire a handful of rounds, offhand unsupported, at the 300 yard steel target.
WTF, over?
I didn't say a word. Packed everything back up and left.
Total waste of a trip.

Tonight I helped out 2 "new to hand guns" guys - I was polite and they were too - I pointed out some things they did right and helped them do things better. We were all about the same age I just happened to have more training, I passed on a few thing I have been taught and they immediately saw better results on paper.

I did a "ball and dummy" for one - they both saw the results and explained the vertical stringing they both made on a target. Small pistols and lack of practice had them flinching and "pushing" at the trigger.

We all enjoyed the lesson - I know they were appreciative of the advice and I hope to see them both again.

And yes, I caught myself almost sweeping the line and corrected myself - I pointed that mistake out as well

We all had a good time and I hope those guys put to practice the advice I gave them.

Some of us "crusty old guys" can actually help "new" folks - it's not about age, it's about wanting to teach/learn from anyone that will help. Sure, how you present the help can become a thing - I didn't swoop in and be all like, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

It was more, "Hey, do you think the sights are of or are you just learning how to run the thing?" I ran it and it turns out with 10 minutes of help they went from "minute of pizza box" to "minute of pepperoni"

I call it a win. The guys weren't dumb, just inexperienced and I helped them out.

Tonight I helped out 2 "new to hand guns" guys - I was polite and they were too - I pointed out some things they did right and helped them do things better. We were all about the same age I just happened to have more training, I passed on a few thing I have been taught and they immediately saw better results on paper.

I did a "ball and dummy" for one - they both saw the results and explained the vertical stringing they both made on a target. Small pistols and lack of practice had them flinching and "pushing" at the trigger.

We all enjoyed the lesson - I know they were appreciative of the advice and I hope to see them both again.

And yes, I caught myself almost sweeping the line and corrected myself - I pointed that mistake out as well

We all had a good time and I hope those guys put to practice the advice I gave them.

Some of us "crusty old guys" can actually help "new" folks - it's not about age, it's about wanting to teach/learn from anyone that will help. Sure, how you present the help can become a thing - I didn't swoop in and be all like, "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

It was more, "Hey, do you think the sights are of or are you just learning how to run the thing?" I ran it and it turns out with 10 minutes of help they went from "minute of pizza box" to "minute of pepperoni"

I call it a win. The guys weren't dumb, just inexperienced and I helped them out.

Nice job...

Aside from the four safety rules, extra rules keep us safer?

if only...

my story from a few years ago:

there was an older gentlemen who, as a long time club member, thought it was cool to drive around the range road and throw out a home made noisemaker or two...

the range was mostly deserted when he tossed one out behind the firing line. I was at the far end and got covered by a startled guy at the other end... lots of hilarity ensued...

Fat man in all multicam uniform, slick plate carrier, and chest rack shooting from a bench rest, still couldn't ping the steel.

About a month go i saw a new gun owner pick his handgun up and proceed to point it at his face and start looking down the barrel while racking the slide...he said "don't worry it's not loaded" i recommended he atleast check before pointing it at his face, if not remove the barrel from the firearms and look throught it the other way...
Fortunately i had time to get everyone to look at what this guy as doing before he stopped.wish i had a phone to get a video of this.

Imo, the only thing worse than this would be him pointing it at somone else.

Three months ago i witnessed one gentlemen ask another gentlemen about the rifling of his rifle.. the first gentleman asks the second gentleman "is it loaded?" The second gentlemen says "no". So the first gentleman then proceeds to pick up the rifle without a safety check and look down the barrel.

No one is perfect, but you just cant make shit like this up.

Oh, boy...here we go....

How about we remove *all* government involvement in regulating a natural right? No more licenses, no more begging permission on bended knee from your superiors to buy a chunk of metal and wood, no more sending people to prison if a piece of metal is threaded or holds more than XX rounds?

The "firearms classes" offered in 80%+ of the places around here are a joke. You have classes where there is zero live fire, or fun places where you're not allowed to handle the gun at all.

How about we rely on personal responsibility? I grew up in Tennessee and had been shooting guns for almost 20 years before I took my first firearms class. I'm a very safe and cautious shooter. Why? My father taught me to be careful. He explained the rules to me and embedded the consequences of not following those rules in my head.

I've never had any formal firearm training, I would put my safety and gun handling ability against anyone on this forum. Not to say there aren't better shots out there, I'm not that arrogant, but as far as safe handling of firearms on a range.

The problem is with people not taking firearm ownership seriously. I would wager almost everyone that grew up in a responsible hunting family knows damn well how to handle a firearm. Those who didn't and want to get into firearms later in life should take it from a beginners perspective. Most of the issues have to do with pigheaded *******s that think they know everything. An extra 4 or 8 hours of training won't do those jackasses any good.

The problem is with people not taking firearm ownership seriously. I would wager almost everyone that grew up in a responsible hunting family knows damn well how to handle a firearm. Those who didn't and want to get into firearms later in life should take it from a beginners perspective. Most of the issues have to do with pigheaded *******s that think they know everything. An extra 4 or 8 hours of training won't do those jackasses any good.
I disagree - training is a great thing. A new shooter should absolutely have someone explain the basic functions and operation of firearms to them and to teach them safety (even beyond the basic rules). It's just that none of this should be mandated by law [wink]

common story:

Last night, guy at range was shooting brand new AK. He brought it in wrapped in a burlap sack. When he was done, he walked back to the wall, pointing at everyone, nothing open. Range officer tells him he has to clear and put away on the line, so he walks back to the line, with the sack, pointing to the side towards half a dozen shooters again while RO just watches him. I shook my head, like "wtf is going on here?', but not really surprised anymore.

Back
Top Bottom