Dumb guy at the range

Here's one I thought of today at our monthly club meeting.

I was at a high power competition standing on line. They called load and I saw an older guy chamber a round in his M1A and proceed to turn the gun to his face and look down the barrel. [shocked] A couple shots later I saw him chamber a round then rest the barrel on his foot.
I was on line, but I did tell one of my team mates to have the guy running the event to watch him.

brass rat walking on the range to pick up my brass while i'm still shooting thinking hes doing a good deed by keeping the range clean. I asked him to give me my brass back.

I had that, but picking up whatever, not mine though. I think he was kicked out of the club for that and other reasons shortly after.

Imagine walking into the outdoor range at your club and seeing a couple guys firing AK's from the hip listening to this extremely loud on a boombox.
[video=youtube_share;klVe7_2UEQ8]http://youtu.be/klVe7_2UEQ8[/video]

This one made me LOL. Winner!

(Stopped reading after 1 page)

Why has the been no thread of the ND that occurred in October, at the latest and greatest LGC? Tell me that none of you have heard of this? This person's lack of knowledge, cost her a hole in her arm, you want her on the line next to you, full of her own voluntary gleaning of firearms knowledge that's apparently in the air?
Sorry do not know what you are referring to.

Yes it is. Unless you mean because you catch.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Roflmao! The gun (GP100) she's shooting is the one she took from the holster right after she said "I do."

ForumRunner_20160208_024739.jpg

FB_IMG_1443978085128-1.jpg

We got married on the firing line at our club (yep, she's a member too) at the same spot I proposed to her, AFTER I gave her a shotgun. The location was HER idea:)

Trust me, I ain't "catching".

Last edited:
Roflmao! The gun (GP100) she's shooting is the one she took from the holster right after she said "I do."

View attachment 158144

View attachment 158145

We got married on the firing line at our club (yep, she's a member too) at the same spot I proposed to her, AFTER I gave her a shotgun. The location was HER idea:)

Trust me, I ain't "catching".
Nice dude. Congrats. But how am I supposed to tell from a wedding pictures what goes on behind closed doors. Anyone watch Shameless on Showtime? LOL.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Wow! Im lucky that can sneak away during the of hours on weekdays to the range.
I have noticed a real upswing in irresponsible behavior in the past 8 years or so. The people causing a lot of these problems I expect to lose interest and drift away from shooting. Gun owners will be left with about the same ratio of jackasses to normal responsible people as the rest of the population.

Wow! Im lucky that can sneak away during the of hours on weekdays to the range.
I have noticed a real upswing in irresponsible behavior in the past 8 years or so. The people causing a lot of these problems I expect to lose interest and drift away from shooting. Gun owners will be left with about the same ratio of jackasses to normal responsible people as the rest of the population.

The population of numbskull/nipplehead shooters amongst the post Obamascare/Sandy hook crowd is perceptibly higher... not that we didn't have plenty of numbskulls 10+ years ago too, mind you. The old way was "I think I want a gun someday" (guy/lady puts some serious thought into it, gets some training from someone they know at a minimum, gets a gun, etc. ) The new post-sandy-hook retard way is "PPPPPPFFFFFFBTTTTTTBBGTTTT!!! OBAMAZ GONNA BAN EVERYHTHING GONNA BUY GUNS NOW THAT I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE AT ALL REALLY BUT I WANT GUNZ CAUSE BAMAS GONNA BAN EM ALL AND CUZ CIVIL UNREST PROBABLE TINFOIL HAT DRIVING TUNIC OMG SHIT **** PUSSY PFFFFFTBBTTTTTP!!!!!!!!!" types, with some of these newbs floating around I expect them to pull up to gun shops with cars that have signs of windows being licked, as well as them carrying around drool cups. Granted this is still a small part of the whole but you notice it after working in the middle of it for awhile.

-Mike

Among the dumb people I have dealt with lately at the range:

Some foreign students from a nearby university with no shooting experience that acquired a Glock 17 and an M-4 and went to my local range to shoot. They swept my son, me, and other people at the range several times before I stepped in and took their firearms from them. They borrowed both guns from someone that they knew and were thinking about purchasing a gun. They had no idea that they weren't able to purchase them and also had no idea what they wanted to purchase or why other than the fact that they wanted to have a powerful firearm.

A mother from the hood that had never fired a gun brought her teenage boys to the range. Mom, her boys, and an adult female (reportedly live-in girlfriend of one of the sons) rented Glocks because they recognized them from some gangsta films. One of the sons had a pistol tucked into his saggy drawers and was showing off to his momma how he learned to shoot "Spike Lee" style. All of them were reckless and swept people several times. Momma apparently was going to buy a gun for her boys to carry for protection, clearly in violation of federal laws re: Straw Purchases, requirements for ownership of handguns in Ohio. I stepped in after they persisted in being unsafe and took their firearms from them, as well as reporting unsafe practices to the range master (who sat on his ass upstairs looking at a magazine instead of watching the monitors or standing downstairs in gallery).

If someone tried to take a firearm from me at a range that wasn't a rso there would be a proper problem. I assume you are an employee and not a self appointed member of the vigilante safety committee?

Noob questions:

1) why do you keep your brass? Value? Personal? Just because?

2) what's the best what to inform others that you want to walk down range to check/put up targets?

Noob questions:

2) what's the best what to inform others that you want to walk down range to check/put up targets?

1) I reload it (so "value") For some guns I want specific brass so it's consistent.

2) stop shooting, make your guns safe, wait until there's a break (after someone has finished a magazine) and say, "Let me know when it's a good time to change targets" and they'll usually say, "Oh, now's fine." and make their guns safe.

To give you an idea: I reload 9mm:

Brass: "Free"
Bullets: $85/1000 ($08.5/rd)
Powder: $25/lb (6999 grains per pound, 4.9 grains per round, 1428 rounds per pound, that's $.017 per round)
Primers: $35/1000=.035 per round.
Total cost per round: $.137, or $6.85 per box of 50.

Reloading 9mm is considered a waste of time due to its low cost savings over time to manufacture, but I figure If I'm going to sit on my ass and browse forums, I can sit on my ass and reload.

If someone tried to take a firearm from me at a range that wasn't a rso there would be a proper problem. I assume you are an employee and not a self appointed member of the vigilante safety committee?

When it comes to safety,it's everyone's responsibility.One of the basic rules of firearms training.

Last edited:
I agree safety is everyone's responsibility, but it is not your responsibility to take hold and remove someone else's property or firearms based on your personal opinion. The proper course of action is as follows:

1. Notify the person as to what they are doing is wrong in a polite yet authoritative way
2. Notify a rso or other employee of the range.
3. Pack your shit up and come back another day.

Among the dumb people I have dealt with lately at the range:

Some foreign students from a nearby university with no shooting experience that acquired a Glock 17 and an M-4 and went to my local range to shoot. They swept my son, me, and other people at the range several times before I stepped in and took their firearms from them. They borrowed both guns from someone that they knew and were thinking about purchasing a gun. They had no idea that they weren't able to purchase them and also had no idea what they wanted to purchase or why other than the fact that they wanted to have a powerful firearm.

A mother from the hood that had never fired a gun brought her teenage boys to the range. Mom, her boys, and an adult female (reportedly live-in girlfriend of one of the sons) rented Glocks because they recognized them from some gangsta films. One of the sons had a pistol tucked into his saggy drawers and was showing off to his momma how he learned to shoot "Spike Lee" style. All of them were reckless and swept people several times. Momma apparently was going to buy a gun for her boys to carry for protection, clearly in violation of federal laws re: Straw Purchases, requirements for ownership of handguns in Ohio. I stepped in after they persisted in being unsafe and took their firearms from them, as well as reporting unsafe practices to the range master (who sat on his ass upstairs looking at a magazine instead of watching the monitors or standing downstairs in gallery).
Need some clarification here. Do you work at like a public range or were you just there shootin? If you dont work there i would live to hearhow you sucessfully "took" fire arms from two seperate groups at a public range and were not employed there. Cuz.....cuz there are different levels of safety conciousness in this world.....and going up to someone and demanding they give their guns to you may not be good for your health.

Last edited:
I agree safety is everyone's responsibility, but it is not your responsibility to take hold and remove someone else's property or firearms based on your personal opinion. The proper course of action is as follows:

1. Notify the person as to what they are doing is wrong in a polite yet authoritative way
2. Notify a rso or other employee of the range.
3. Pack your shit up and come back another day.
this! Come up to me and tell me you are taking my guns cuz you dont think im safe enough and we will have a big ****ing problem.

- - - Updated - - -

When it comes to safety,it's everyone's responsibility.One of the basic rules of firearms training.
So call a cease fire and tell them what they are doing wrong. Go up and take their guns.....yeah not so much a good idea

this! Come up to me and tell me you are taking my guns cuz you dont think im safe enough and we will have a big ****ing problem.

- - - Updated - - -

So call a cease fire and tell them what they are doing wrong. Go up and take their guns.....yeah not so much a good idea

I think there's a difference between someone coming up to you because they don't like your shooting style, another if you're waving the gun around like an idiot and sweeping the muzzle across other shooters. If someone did that near me, I wouldn't take their guns away, but I'd say something or go chat with the RSO before continuing.

Need some clarification here. Do you work at like a public range or were you just there shootin? If you dont work there i would live to hearhow you sucessfully "took" fire arms from two seperate groups at a public range and were not employed there. Cuz.....cuz there are different levels of safety conciousness in this world.....and going up to someone and demanding they give their guns to you may not be good for your health.

I have a membership at the range and sometimes work there in the sales dept. I would not have taken firearms from any of these individuals were it not for the fact that they blatantly disregarded conspicuously posted safety rules (printed in 72 pt type in red ink) and a signed waiver prior to renting their firearms. This is not something that I would recommend any one do without some forethought. I approached the individuals in both situations in a very cordial and polite manner under the guise of offering "friendly"/"helpful" advice. I initially did offer some instruction to the Momma and her sons, however they shrugged this off and claimed that they knew what they were doing (Momma shot the ceiling a couple of times while I was there). I proceeded to let Momma know that her boys were in danger of shooting someone, walked over to her son, called him by name and put my hand on his shoulder (he refused to wear hearing protection because it isn't "cool"). I told him I wanted to show him something and took his gun from him and cleared it.

The foreign students were a little more receptive to accepting my advice, however continued to exhibit unsafe behaviors.

True, taking firearms from someone may not be the safest thing that you can do at the range, but sometimes it's necessary and sometimes the most expedient thing to do to keep every one safe.

Back
Top Bottom