Dumb guy at the range

I've done a couple of dumb things, not intetionally but more just a lack of focus. It's a good kick in the ass though when someone calls you out. I think we all can get too comfortable sometimes. I avoid most of these issues by going to my range between 5PM and sundown, place is a ghost town most days at that time.

I was at the range on Father's Day. Some guy down the line had an AR out. He shot it a few times. I think he damn near dislocated his shoulder with that recoil. He got up from the seat, and the seat was definitely wet. His eyes had gone wild and his left arm was twitching a little bit. Hope he was ok. ARs are weapons of war and not to be owned by mere civilians like that douche. I bet you he wrote a letter to the editor after that experience.

/sarc off.

You should have told them what they did wrong and explained proper procedure to them.

You're probably right, but I was in ballistic mode and didn't want to flip. Took a few deep breaths and stared them down. They left shortly after.

This stuff must have been going on a lot to prompt the down range lights they installed. Not sure.

Last edited:
Last time I was at my local club, at the skeet, field a bunch young guys showed up. Instead of loading two shells at a time, like they should, they would load four and shoot all of them with out reloading. They all did that on positions 1, 2, 6 and 7.

A moron cleared the rifle range (turned the red lights on and started walking down range) without asking me if I was done shooting (I was in the middle of a mag dump).

I yelled at him and asked him if he wanted to become a moving target. I then told him to sit down and wait for me to finish. I decided to take and extra 15 minutes to piss him off.

Before someone calls me an a-hole, keep in mind this moron started to WALK down the rifle range as someone else was still shooting and the range where I go has signs all over the place with the rules.

A moron cleared the rifle range (turned the red lights on and started walking down range) without asking me if I was done shooting (I was in the middle of a mag dump).

I yelled at him and asked him if he wanted to become a moving target. I then told him to sit down and wait for me to finish. I decided to take and extra 15 minutes to piss him off.

Before someone calls me an a-hole, keep in mind this moron started to WALK down the rifle range as someone else was still shooting and the range where I go has signs all over the place with the rules.
These are the same people that just walk out into traffic without looking cuz they are in a crosswalk, I just saw a lady in neeham walk out of the bank right into the street and get hit, never looked, the car had no chance to stop.

Last time I was at my local club, at the skeet, field a bunch young guys showed up. Instead of loading two shells at a time, like they should, they would load four and shoot all of them with out reloading. They all did that on positions 1, 2, 6 and 7.
I once had someone ask for "doubles on report" on position 7 - as in, hit doubles and as soon as he fires the second shot hit doubles again. Basically this tacticool young guy with his assault-weapon-looking shotgun wanted to shoot four times without calling for birds.

Like many here, I've been shooting for decades now. I was an RSO at a former club that required such a thing.

I can honestly say I flip flop between being helpful range guy for those needing some help or not exhibiting safe gun handling and "ok, time to go the knuckleheads have shown up".

We've all been there...."dammit, why can't i have the range to myself..."

I got tired of range morons years ago and built a range on my land. Besides the over abundance of untrained morons wandering around without reguard for safety, my old club only allowed paper targets, which gets boring in about ten seconds. My back yard range has a variety of metal reactionary targets for handgun shooting and a clay pigeon and golf ball rack for 100 yard plus rifle fun.

Been shooting a very long time and prefer to be by myself so I can practice weak points. Range is a mile from my door so I can hear if it is busy or not.
Was at the range one day working 25 yard pistol groups when a saw a guy out of my peripheral vision go walking right by me toward the target backers to put up a target. I was shooting. I immediately stopped, picked up my gear and left. The dumbass was a club officer so saying something to him would have been fruitless.

Dumb stuff at range?

Arrive without key to locked cases, with the wrong ammo, with no ammo, with the wrong magazines, with no magazines, without targets, without staples, without ear pro.

I've done them all at some point. I've never showed up without a gun, so that's something. Bonus points for forgetting important bits when you're going to show someone how to shoot. This is also why I stopped using locks with keys.

I once had someone ask for "doubles on report" on position 7 - as in, hit doubles and as soon as he fires the second shot hit doubles again. Basically this tacticool young guy with his assault-weapon-looking shotgun wanted to shoot four times without calling for birds.

Sounds like a good time. Even more fun with an over under, or a side by each

Was it in any way "unsafe"? Did it piss off any of the other shooters?

If not, who cares?

Trap and Skeep people are often characterized as Fudds (even here, on uber-accepting NES [laugh]). Doing it differently while being safe is fine. We welcome tacticool shotties at our Trap and Skeet field....hell we have one guy that shoots Skeet with a DP-12

http://www.stdgun.com/dp-12-double-barrel-pump-shotgun/

When we shoot lucky bird events, we occasionally allow "poaching"....there are THREE shooters with loaded and closed shotguns on the Trap line, at one time! [shocked]. Same for Adios. Some of our more-experienced Trap shooter play, "Dragrace".....First shooter calls for a target, and the release button is held down until the last shooter had fired their 5th shot on the station. With break-opens, that's a fast pace....especially with 2 shooters.....is that bad?

If you're following the Three Rules, and any applicable range rules.....who cares? Oh, at our Club the official rules are occasionally waived for special events (e.g. we have a "paper targets only" rule.....but have steel and wood-block matches for instance), so our little tweaks to the status quo are legit. Big difference between walking in front of a hot line, and using the magazine on a shotgun for its intended purpose.

Dood, like it's 2017, dood...like you aktually want somewon to aktually noe, or to aktually be able to reed, and then aktually, um, um, abyde by roolz, dood?

Siriuslee Dood?? [emoji6]

(+1)

Some one shot while i was down range..the red safety light was on at the time and the guy watched us walk down to check target.

These are the same people that just walk out into traffic without looking cuz they are in a crosswalk, I just saw a lady in neeham walk out of the bank right into the street and get hit, never looked, the car had no chance to stop.
I work adjacent to South Station and walk through frequently. On a nice day, for fun, grab a coffee and then stand out by the commuter rail platforms and enjoy the afternoon show...(some GREAT legs in skirts but back to my point):

Before your coffee even begins to cool, you'll witness AT LEAST ten or twenty commuters, and I'm talking well dressed lawyers, bankers, financial "geniuses" etc, all walking along one of the various platforms - while looking down completely fixated at their phone and texting away furiously. And watch closely as AT LEAST ten (or so) per hour will come literally one step from walking off the platform - and down into the rail pit - before realizing "Oops! Wow, that was close!!" and then go back to finishing their text and walking along the same platform.

Every once in a while, either here or at the Back Bay stop, someone will "accidentally" step off and crash to the tracks, messing up their Burberry overcoats and their scuffing their Oxford shoes or $400 dresses, breaking a high heel (OMG!! WTF!! text space text).. You'd swear some of them are still texting as their friggin airborne.
But OMG, they've gotta finish their message...."TTYL" (etc).

The best (worst?) part? Within a week or two the MBTA/Keolis/Amtrak etc offices usually receive a certified letter from the "victim"s attorney, notifying them of the "severely debilitating injuries suffered by my client" due to the "unsafe" conditions of the South Station platforms, the "negligence" of management, etc etc blah blah...

Uh oh, better call the FUDD police! Next thing you know they will want to load more than four shells in a gun!

Years ago at the Barnstable range some guy was shooting an M1 carbine that was full auto. Whether it was a real M2 or just a bubba'd conversion who knows, but at one point everyone called clear and a woman walked down to her target, (25 yard range) and was stapling up a new paper, when this guy picks up the M1 and dumps a mag into his target which was no more than 15 feet to the left of where this woman was standing at her target. At least 4 people started yelling at the guy while the woman ran back up range screaming and crying. He stopped firing, looked around like "What's the problem" and said "Oh sorry I didn't see her there." J...F...C...

Several years after that I was there at the same 25 yard bench with a guest. Three young thug life kids walked over from the rifle range where they were guests of a group of preppy-looking college kids shooting an AR. The guys that were setting up next to me had a Beretta 92FS. One of them fired a magazine, seemingly knowing what he was doing (not holding it sideways, trigger & muzzle discipline was good). But the next guy, when he was handed the gun, started to fumble it, clicking the safety on and off and removing the magazine, then racking the slide and so forth. Just generally not familiar with the gun. Suddenly he had it in his left hand pointing 90 degrees to the right, with no magazine in the gun. He pulled the trigger and sent a round right in front of my chest, hitting the dirt at the right of the bench. I yelled at the guy "WTF are you doing?!!" and he looked at me with a vacant expression. I asked him to lay the gun on the bench while I pack up my stuff. He did, and I left with my guest. After that I only went to that range on weekdays when it was deserted. It's been closed since 2012.

My most recent dumb guy @ the range was a tacticool operator using 2 lanes at once on the pistol range shooting steel, and being unwilling to allow a cold range so anyone could hang targets while he loaded his super cool 10 round magazine between forays onto shooting the steel.

I hoped you stayed as a witness. Without a witness in MA, the driver will get screwed. Even with a witness he might lose.

My most recent dumb guy @ the range was a tacticool operator using 2 lanes at once on the pistol range shooting steel, and being unwilling to allow a cold range so anyone could hang targets while he loaded his super cool 10 round magazine between forays onto shooting the steel.

Ohh so it was you giving me stink eye at the range the other day....no not really but i am the guy who will take up 5 lanes for myself.

Ohh so it was you giving me stink eye at the range the other day....no not really but i am the guy who will take up 5 lanes for myself.

I could live with the douchebaggery of using multiple lanes, but a 5 minute break to let others hang targets while you reload your tacticool 10 round mags is the minimum to not be a total assh0le

WTH kinda range is this?? Public hours? No unlicensed shooters without a RSO even when accompanied by a LTC holder? No thank you...

Worst I have seen lately was 2 guys at my club, one was showing the other how to shoot and the new guy couldn't figure out why the AK mag didn't fit in the AR he was using.. his buddy straightened him out tho, I usually go week days so it's pretty dead

The public hours are very limited while I can go 24 hr/day. IMO the public hours can help attract people to become members. Before I joined I went there a couple of times during the public hours. I wanted to make sure I liked the facilities, management, and other members before committing to join. There's not enough volume of off the street shooters to make a significant impact on income. I think they do it at least in part to encourage safe gun ownership, especially among those who are new. I also like to take my daughter every so often. As she is not licensed, we can only go when there's an RSO present so for me it has it's pluses.

Back
Top Bottom