• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb guy at the range

Local cops practice and do formal qualifying at my range. The police armorer, I guess he's called, supervises and rates the other cops, and has told me what incompetents many of these dudes are at shooting. Also at my range, there was a dad who didn't give his what looked like a 6 year old shooting glasses, so another guy and I said something. The kid was shooting a .22 auto pistol.

When I took my LTC class one guy asks the instructor if he's in bar and someone wants to fight should he show him his gun or go outside and fight.
Instructor said don't get into fights.

At a range as a guest of a buddy last weekend. We go to the rifle range. We get targets and shit out and are about to walk down range when a guy a few lanes over starts shooting. Which isn't really a problem since we were still in the lane, but the ****ING GIANT 2'x4' sign that comes down over each shooting station when the range is cold saying "don't touch guns range is cold" was hanging down. Literally a foot above his ****ing head. Hung targets, came back, and put the range cold sign back up. Doubt he even noticed.

I've already posted about some serious ricochet hazards that have made 'creative' (stupid) targets. Still a problem at my range.

One of the dumber things I have seen is Tommy and Terri the tacticool couple, with no warning at all, walk downrange during 'hot' to make mag dumps into silhouette targets. This done while I'm shooting beside them. I guess my shots helped simulate combat? Obviously I stopped shooting as soon as they entered my field of view, but they made it pretty far downrange since they came from the left and I was shooting righty from the bench.

I was disappointed that they did not stab the targets with bayonets.

A moron cleared the rifle range (turned the red lights on and started walking down range) without asking me if I was done shooting (I was in the middle of a mag dump).

I yelled at him and asked him if he wanted to become a moving target. I then told him to sit down and wait for me to finish. I decided to take and extra 15 minutes to piss him off.

Before someone calls me an a-hole, keep in mind this moron started to WALK down the rifle range as someone else was still shooting and the range where I go has signs all over the place with the rules.
I've run into this at Harvard a few times since they installed the lights on the 25/50 range. People think it's a forcefield and assume if they flip the switch they can head straight down range. Or they use it as a way to signal they are ready to change targets, rather than simply going down the line to confirm.

Why do FUDD's refer to everyone with an AR as tacticool?

For me (though I'm no Fudd) tacticool doesn't necessarily mean AR. It's this guy:

4b27b361883933cef7fbe62cd6bfe736.jpg

Or this guy;

ceacd6e9e78d89fd36e6a375835874ce.jpg

Or this guy:

84a64fb48fd8d1a05d080e931a840c9a.jpg

Guy sitting at a table in one of our tactical pits the other day. Another guy behind him with a shot timer. Couple other guys standing around watching. Shot timer goes off, seated guy thrashes around a bit, draws his gun and fires twice at the target which is on the other side of the table and about 5 to 8 feet away from him. So far so good, right? The "target" is a USPSA/IDPA sized steel on a pipe frame hanger.

Maybe I should have done the "hey guys - I have cardboard targets in my truck, and you could SEE your shot placement"... I didn't. I just got the hell out of there.

Why do people assume that only a FUDD would call someone 'tacticool'? [wink]

I'm just using it as a derogatory term for a couple of fools pulling some dangerous sh!t at the range. I don't care what or how people shoot so long as they do it safely. Mostly I shoot AR's unless I bring my Garand and '03 to practice for CMP matches.

Years ago, the brass rat at the Barnstable town range started picking up brass on the line while I was shooting my pistol. Next thing I know he starts walking down range while I'm still firing. I packed up and left. Another time I had a environmental or fish & game cop walk up to check my range permit while I was actively shooting.

I also got the date mixed up once, and was shooting first thing in the morning, when about 3 or 4 vehicles full of SWAT guys pulled up. They had the range closed and reserved for them that day and yhey had just got down with some drug raid and were all pumped up and crap. One just came over to me and said (in a friendly way, btw) "Hey, sorry, the range is closed today, so finish the mag you got, but you gotta go."

When I first started shooting 6 years ago I got my first gun and hit the range.. I had a Ruger KP944D (.40Cal). I just bought 2 50 round boxes of Blazer. First box went without a hitch. I had a problem when I started the second box though.. The gun would only fire one round at a time. The slide would not lock back after each round and I said to myself "Hmm that did not have as big a bang as the last box of ammo"

I looked over the gun didn't see anything obviously wrong. Range guy came over and after I explained what my problem was, he looked over the gun then looked at the ammo box and pointed to the side of it and said there's your problem.

Apparently someone put a box of 9mm in with the .40. When I bought the ammo I saw the .40 cal stack and just grabbed a couple boxes..Never saw there was a box of 9mm mixed in.. Needless to say I was feeling pretty stupid at that point..

Lesson learned..

Why do people with ARs call everyone without one a Fudd? [laugh]

An AR does not make one Tacticool, but it's a lot easier to be Tacticool with one, than without. It's kind of the first step. Like if you wanna be The Rifleman, you need a lever gun.

Pelham has been really great, haven't seen any unsafe practices. The worst thing that has happened to me, at a gun shop, some kid muzzle swept me with an AR looking from the red dot. I go 'what the heck?' He goes ' it's Ok! '
[hmmm]

So if I wear a pc and belt but shoot my M1C I'm not tacticool? Does multicam make me tacticool or does it depend what I shoot?

Am I not allowed to shoot from a holster? Does the holster have to be on a belt? Does the belt have to be leather? Does the leather have to be cowhide? What about the buckle?

#imconfused

So if I wear a pc and belt but shoot my M1C I'm not tacticool? Does multicam make me tacticool or does it depend what I shoot?

Am I not allowed to shoot from a holster? Does the holster have to be on a belt? Does the belt have to be leather? Does the leather have to be cowhide? What about the buckle?
#imconfused

Wood stock = Fudd
Mag Fed = Tacticool
Manual Action = Fudd
Semiauto = Tacticool
Leather Holster - Fudd
Plastic Holster = Tacticool
On belt = neutral
Drop Leg Holster = Tacticool
Leather Belt = Fudd
Cloth/Nylon Belt = Tacticool
3-9 Simple Reticle = Fudd
Red dot/FFP Scope/BDC Reticle = Tacticool

Majority cound Fudd vs. Tacticool determines

Last edited:
Wood stock = Fudd
Mag Fed = Tacticool
Manual Action = Fudd
Semiauto = Tacticool
Leather Holster - Fudd
Plastic Holster = Tacticool
On belt = neutral
Drop Leg Holster = Tacticool
Leather Belt = Fudd
Cloth/Nylon Belt = Tacticool
3-9 Simple Reticle = Fudd
Red dot/FFP Scope/BDC Reticle = Tacticool

Majority cound Fudd vs. Tacticool determines
So when I'm carrying in a kydex holster on a leather belt while shooting my Garand... wtf does that make me??

So when I'm carrying in a kydex holster on a leather belt while shooting my Garand... wtf does that make me??

Any MOLLE involved? What's in the Kydex - a Level 1 Faceshooter Glock or an RIA? Operator shades or bi-focals? Are you carrying a tourniquet or blow-out kit? Or some band aids?

Shit man we need details.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom