• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor ‘removed’ from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis for having unloaded rifle

Stupid doctor but stupid reaction as well….

I love the hospitals implication that firearm = bad

Can’t we make a point we are addicted to these things and need them as emotional support devices to feel safe similar to animals and masks…
Was it even a real rifle? I have seen some air rifles that look like .22 rimfire rifles. They didn't specify caliber or action type.

Why haven't we seen the pic of the "rifle" laid out on a table with the PD patch and a bunch of random caliber cartridges scattered around it yet? Maybe some cash from the Doc's wallet stacked up next to it? I call shenanigans.
My bet is .177 air rifle or airsoft gun. Prior to Cheryl Jacques' 1998 gun law, an FID was needed for an air rifle and an LTC was needed for an air pistol. Now, anyone can own one sans license. All she went after was so-called " assault weapons". If it was a real rifle, regardless of caliber, the cops would certainly have laid it out on a table in the conference room at the police station, surrounded by spare magazines and live rounds, for a photo op and press release. A wad of cash from the doctor would not be likely to prevent such an event. This state is rabidly anti-gun and no police department will pass up the chance to "take a gun off the street" and publicize it.

My bet is .177 air rifle or airsoft gun. Prior to Cheryl Jacques' 1998 gun law, an FID was needed for an air rifle and an LTC was needed for an air pistol. Now, anyone can own one sans license. All she went after was so-called " assault weapons". If it was a real rifle, regardless of caliber, the cops would certainly have laid it out on a table in the conference room at the police station, surrounded by spare magazines and live rounds, for a photo op and press release. A wad of cash from the doctor would not be likely to prevent such an event. This state is rabidly anti-gun and no police department will pass up the chance to "take a gun off the street" and publicize it.

Lol theres no arrest so theres no dog and pony show.

Lol theres no arrest so theres no dog and pony show.
Exactly! If it was a real gun, there would have been a very real arrest. I cannot imagine why a physician would risk his or her hard-won medical license by engaging in such foolishness. Especially in an anti-gun state like MA.

Still not arrestable if licensed
I think a case makes a huge difference from a legal perspective in MA. I can carry my two small caliber bolt action rifles and my Remington 870 on my FID in public but was told by my LO that they have to be unloaded and cased while carrying or transporting in a vehicle. Unloaded and uncased is a felony, he told me, regardless of license. Not sure if doctor had an airgun or a cased and unloaded long gun. If latter was true, you are correct and he would have been legal under MA law. He still would have lost his job, unfortunately.

Wait.

People here want to dogpile on the doc for being stupid.

NO!!! The hospital and the Karens who ratted him out are stupid. WTH we are our own worst enemies sometimes.

ETA. Unloaded rifle. Probably in a case. Probably bringing it to his own personal office.

Literally nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, the Doc was stupid. Like, epic stupid.
I agree that he may not have broken any laws. But he surely broke his employment agreement. And I have a feeling that it's not going to be that easy to find another gig.
And I think he deserves it. Most people would be scared if they saw someone carrying a rifle, and he knows it.
People would figure Dr. had decided that today was the day he was going to go postal.
And lets say the security personnel noticed that he was carrying a rifle case? They have to do something. Maybe they could have resolved it by going to speak to him, but what if he was homicidal? Do you want to be the one that goes to ask him what's up with the rifle?

He was dime'd out.
The headlines misleading.

I'll take a swing at how this went-
Doc picks up a new rifle at bass pro or used florbert rifle out of the n.e.s. classifieds on the way into work.
Guy walks to his office with a long black case.
Someone sees case and assumes its either a mark 19 or an m249.
After making a few virtue signaling tok-face videos, that someone calls the police (while filming on tok-face)
Cops show up with 2 Bradley tanks, a swat team and a surplus ah-64 to apprehend said potential killing machine.

My last couple rifle transactions have been right here at my office desk. (shrug)
Co-workers usually gather around to see what I got.
🤓

Assume for the moment that there was no evil intent to bringing in teh gun.
Assume he was inevitably getting fired and/or losing his visiting privs.

But "they" "confiscated" the rifle.
On what pretext?

I wonder what would have happened
if as soon as he realized that the situation was going pear-shaped,
he noped the F out of there with the gun,
and straight-armed everyone who tried to detain or disarm him
with "I have to leave the premises to avoid committing criminal trespass"?

Because at the macro level it's no different than getting booted out of
any other commercial (civil, non-statutory) GFZ.
It's only a crime if you refuse to leave.
A hospital is NOT a Gun Free Zone.

A GFZ is a place like a school where it is a crime to be there with a gun. CCH is simply a place that has a personal policy that says, no guns allowed. That is not a GFZ.

His crime was non existent, presuming he was willing to leave when told to go so.

ETA Just noticed who I was responding to 😂

You know this, so was there some subtlety that I missed?

No. At a Hospital. Even in Alabama or Idaho.
When you see a rifle in a hospital you are going to think mass shooting.
So you would freak out if you saw a firearm in that setting??
I’m sure the good doctor had it cased or bagged and someone knew what that carrying device “might” contain.

I think a case makes a huge difference from a legal perspective in MA. I can carry my two small caliber bolt action rifles and my Remington 870 on my FID in public but was told by my LO that they have to be unloaded and cased while carrying or transporting in a vehicle. Unloaded and uncased is a felony, he told me, regardless of license. Not sure if doctor had an airgun or a cased and unloaded long gun. If latter was true, you are correct and he would have been legal under MA law. He still would have lost his job, unfortunately.
Cop was wrong. For transport, all a non-large cap long gun needs to lawful is unloaded.

To carry on one's person, on a public way, a long gun must be unloaded and cased, or unloaded, if the carrier is lawfully engaged in hunting.

That said, a case is a good idea. Massprudence, and all that.

Last edited:
So you would freak out if you saw a firearm in that setting??
I’m sure the good doctor had it cased or bagged and someone knew what that carrying device “might” contain.
Of course not. No one on NES would freak out. It's the other 99.99999% of people that would. Especially if it was a modern sporting rifle.

You know this, ...
[thumbsup]

... so was there some subtlety that I missed?
"... commercial (civil, non-statutory) GFZ.
It's only a crime if you refuse to leave".

How many more sea lawyer adjectives do I have to stack
to cover my pasty white hiney with contingent phrasing?

If I have to buy a thesaurus to NES harder,
I'm deducting it from my next green-renewal EFT.

Rationale:
I'm not lifting a cuticle to scour the MSM for even more poorly-written stories,
or the Intarwebs for the Charter of the hospital itself.

But I am just not willing to assume that the hospital
isn't some kind of teaching hospital.

(Which Ye Olde NES Wisdom says is often as relevant
as a public library acting like it's a "school" GFZ
just because it happens to contain some students.
But let that go).

I assume the pretext for the confiscation is not because the gift shop sells postage stamps
as well as get-well cards, teddy bears, and flowers.
[rolleyes]

P. S. I briefly thought I saw you at Lilac Garden/South Nashua last night.
But no.

[thumbsup]

"... commercial (civil, non-statutory) GFZ.
It's only a crime if you refuse to leave".

How many more sea lawyer adjectives do I have to stack
to cover my pasty white hiney with contingent phrasing?

If I have to buy a thesaurus to NES harder,
I'm deducting it from my next green-renewal EFT.

Rationale:
I'm not lifting a cuticle to scour the MSM for even more poorly-written stories,
or the Intarwebs for the Charter of the hospital itself.

But I am just not willing to assume that the hospital
isn't some kind of teaching hospital.

(Which Ye Olde NES Wisdom says is often as relevant
as a public library acting like it's a "school" GFZ
just because it happens to contain some students.
But let that go).

I assume the pretext for the confiscation is not because the gift shop sells postage stamps
as well as get-well cards, teddy bears, and flowers.
[rolleyes]

P. S. I briefly thought I saw you at Lilac Garden/South Nashua last night.
But no.
One...
Two...
Three...
Crunch...
Three...

Stupid doctor? How many would say that stupid doctor if the doctor refused the vaccine? It kills me that a mask and a vaccine gets everyone's panties in a twist but your right to bear arms.. Meh.

Paul

He knew he couldn't leave it in his car, so he probably brought it into his office for safekeeping. He loses either way
I use a heavy duty truck box mounted behind the cab of my Tacoma. It locks securely and would certainly meet the MA standard for a locked container. It also satisfies FOPA, since the rifles and shotguns I transport in there are not accessible by either driver or passengers.

Probably a good assumption.

Don’t get me wrong I got no problems with anyone carrying a rifle wherever but at a hospital where it’s probably prohibited is not a good play
I work for MGB and received a reminder email that firearms, loaded or unloaded are not permitted on any MGB campus.

This is why you need to get (Form 4) or make (Form 1) an SBR if you want to legally carry a loaded rifle in MA.

Back
Top Bottom