• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor ‘removed’ from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis for having unloaded rifle

And that's WRONG. We need to work hard to teach the morons of mASSachusetts that their normal "lurnd-on-tee-vee" reaction is WRONG!

Good luck. You are dealing with a mixture of hard core brainwashing mixed with stupid. Both trying to gain the upper hand in these people's minds.

I wonder if they would have cut him some slack if that was a shotgun? Hey! He could have always said that Uncle Joe told him to buy it. Don't you remember? Joe Biden said, get a shotgun. So what does this guy do? He buys a rifle.

Last edited:
If the hospital is a teaching hospital it qualifies as a school, and it is illegal to carry firearms on school property.

Good luck. You are dealing with a mixture of hard core brainwashing mixed with stupid. Both trying to gain the upper hand in these people's minds.

I don't disagree that it's an uphill battle. But like the Freedom Riders of the 1960's, we should not have to feel that we are in the wrong. Same backwards inbred troglodytes we are dealing with, different century. ;)

Be kind. Many people have the same misconception. The important thing is to nicely correct him (@bmac10) so he knows the correct information and doesn't further spread the bad info.

As @Len-2A Training points out, teaching hospitals are NOT considered schools for this purpose.

I suspect hospitals make such a stink over guns because they know they tend to make society safer and a safe society doesn't require their services as much.

So it's in their own self interest to ban guns. They're bad for business. Except in Chicago.

WRONG! Damn near every hospital has "students in training". Doesn't make it a school under MGL.
I signed a release stating that students could observe my surgery and also to let them film it for training purposes. I just made one request...NO students are to lay a finger on me during surgery. My doctor had a good laugh.

I signed a release stating that students could observe my surgery and also to let them film it for training purposes. I just made one request...NO students are to lay a finger on me during surgery. My doctor had a good laugh.
Love to be a fly on the wall in the OR after you went under.
Wait a minnit, I don't have to dream.
[pics]

And that's WRONG. We need to work hard to teach the morons of mASSachusetts that their normal "lurnd-on-tee-vee" reaction is WRONG!
Good luck with that.

People get DPRM gun laws wrong on here, all the time. You expect people that are not "In the life" to have a clue. [sad]

I agree. But I admit to carrying concealed knives on those so-called "campuses". Never a problem. My folding knives are very well concealed.
That's nice. I've carried poorly concealed knives on almost every university campus in Boston, Cambridge, or Somerville. Nobody notices. Nobody cares. Nothing happens. Should we get a medal?

Be kind. Many people have the same misconception. The important thing is to nicely correct him (@bmac10) so he knows the correct information and doesn't further spread the bad info.

As @Len-2A Training points out, teaching hospitals are NOT considered schools for this purpose.

I suspect hospitals make such a stink over guns because they know they tend to make society safer and a safe society doesn't require their services as much.

So it's in their own self interest to ban guns. They're bad for business. Except in Chicago.
Thanks for the update. It does amaze me how many people have to be aholes about it. Can I still get the state info that points this out?

Thanks for the update. It does amaze me how many people have to be aholes about it. Can I still get the state info that points this out?

Like a cite of MGL? There won't be a law that states you can carry in a hospital. Laws generally prohibit, not permit.

There IS a law that says you cannot carry in a school. For Federal, I think that would be the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990. Knowing Mass, there could be further local laws that also make it illegal.

However, the hospitals being discussed are licensed as hospitals that teach, not schools that practice medicine.

Bottom line is if you choose to carry, open or concealed, there are specific places you cannot (schools and federal buildings like the post office) but beyond that, it is allowed from a legal perspective.

If you're at the mall, Officer Blart sees you're carrying and tells you to leave, then LEAVE. You aren't breaking the law by carrying, even if it's posted "no guns", but you'll be breaking a different law (trespass) if you fail to leave when told to.

Last edited:
There IS a law that says you cannot carry in a school. For Federal, I think that would be the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990. Knowing Mass, there could be further local laws that also make it illegal.
MGL Ch. 269 §10: Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment
...​
(j) For the purposes of this paragraph, ''firearm'' shall mean any pistol, revolver, rifle or smoothbore arm from which a shot, bullet or pellet can be discharged.​
Whoever, not being a law enforcement officer and notwithstanding any license obtained by the person pursuant to chapter 140, carries on the person a firearm, loaded or unloaded, or other dangerous weapon in any building or on the grounds of any elementary or secondary school, college or university without the written authorization of the board or officer in charge of the elementary or secondary school, college or university shall be punished by a fine of not more than $1,000 or by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or both. A law enforcement officer may arrest without a warrant and detain a person found carrying a firearm in violation of this paragraph.​
Any officer in charge of an elementary or secondary school, college or university or any faculty member or administrative officer of an elementary or secondary school, college or university that fails to report a violation of this paragraph shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and punished by a fine of not more than $500.​

Lucky thing that a hospital is not a university. There are two different words, because they both have different meanings.
:rolleyes:
Many a convict has failed to notice nuance.
6rZ8g8R.jpeg

c5f36c55149630ff00eda278c637496c.jpg

You are asking the wrong guy. I'm not going to try to second-guess the legal system. Or give their actions any validity.

If the hospital has a no-weapons policy they will probably use that as a basis. That and the over-whelming tactical response.
A basis for what? I assume most people on this forum have firearms licenses and have an understanding of the laws concerning forearms. In MA unless Cape Cod hospital is a teaching hospital (i.e. a school) it is not illegal to have a firearm in the building. They can have all the "no firearms" policies they want. All they can do is ask you to leave.

In my training it was specifically mentioned that it was. Can you point me to the mgl that says it is not? Thanks!
I have no doubt that they mentioned it that way.

There are two possibilities here:

1. The people spouting this actually believe it,
2. They are intentionally spouting internal policy/rules as law so that there will be no/little push-back that they would have to deal with.

I will more believe readily possibility 2, just like many gun stores tell people something is illegal (but it isn't) to just make them go away and mute any arguments.

If a teaching hospital was a "school" under MGL, what would prevent prosecutions for gun possession at "firearms schools", etc.? We are all "teaching" something, yet we get no legal recognition as "teachers" or "schools".

When resident learn in the outpatient setting does that make those offices schools? Ultimately it doesn't matter what we think it matters what a D.A. wants to try to prove.

Paul

When resident learn in the outpatient setting does that make those offices schools? Ultimately it doesn't matter what we think it matters what a D.A. wants to try to prove.

Paul

I think you would be hard pressed to find a charge under MGL Ch. 269 §10 (thanks @AHM) where the "school" was a teaching hospital in Boston.

Even in Mass!

Of course that's not to say that they won't throw other bogus charges at you until something sticks.

If a teaching hospital was a "school" under MGL, what would prevent prosecutions for gun possession at "firearms schools", etc.? We are all "teaching" something, yet we get no legal recognition as "teachers" or "schools".

Don't tempt them. Think of how many of us they could get off the streets that way. LOL

It occurs to me...

That most of us are expressing opinions about this without knowing exactly what went down, how, and what kind of rifle the good Dr actually had.

Unless there has been a follow-up to the story answering all these questions.

Back
Top Bottom