CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

One of the best ways to ensure what you get is to make a pilgrimage to the store or compete at Perry or one of the regionals like Vermont. Haven't been to Butner but I assume they bring rifles to sell. Decent selection at Vermont last year.

are the prices in line with online prices?

Same prices, but often times include items that aren't available via mail order.

My understanding is that rifles at matches are only available to competitors.

My order for a SPECIALFIELD is going out today. For a shooter, I'd rather trade pitting on the receiver for new lumber and a new barrel.

that's a VERY sound decision for a definite shooter!

Thanks for the support - I willingly gave up a collector interest specimen recently (estate foolishness, VERY long story) so now I've got a jones to play with the boys at OCSA.
I was going to go with the SPECIAL in 308 that is still available for $1030, new lumber and new barrel with an ostensibly better condition receiver, but the CMP rulebook says .30-06 only currently.

For the Garand matches, yes. But .308 special would be ok for modern military, for certain. They were issued in the Navy and CG I believe...assuming for longer ranges typical at sea but also to keep them on the NATO platform.

The resident M1 armorer at OCSA is a SeaBee and retired member of the Navy rifle team. He confirmed the that the Navy issued 308s, which led me to some interesting reading (first conversion barrels had sleeved chambers, etc.)

Thanks for the support - I willingly gave up a collector interest specimen recently (estate foolishness, VERY long story) so now I've got a jones to play with the boys at OCSA.
I was going to go with the SPECIAL in 308 that is still available for $1030, new lumber and new barrel with an ostensibly better condition receiver, but the CMP rulebook says .30-06 only currently.

Can't really beat it.
I am,on the fence for the 308 rifle or build. Even if I take my $495 field grade from a few years ago. Barrel it and put a new stock I'm right at 1000$ anyway. If I buy I get a whole rifle.
Even a 30-06 is a good deal. I used my least expensive M1 to put together my JCG games rifle. With tools and parts I'm actually a bit over buying one. Although I wanted the tools so it's a wash on that cost.

Wonderful! Good to have more people interested in the CMP matches. Yeah, the JC Garand Match is .30-06 only. You'll want one of those, as each month the matches start off with a JCG round. Springfield, Modern Military, and Vintage are the secondary part of the rotation. .308 Garand OK for Modern Military, but there are only a couple MM matches a year at OCSA.

Really a great group at the matches. Some of us are driving ~1-1/2 hour to get there, most are closer.

So looks like you know Franco. He's quite a resource and has done rifle work for a few of us. Some of the guys probably have him working on something as we speak.

If available at the time, I would have bought a Field Special since I'm more interested in a shooter and a few receiver pits at the wood line won't affect accuracy.

I highly recommend the Vermont Games- really nice setting and nice time of year. Even for one overnight it's worth the trip.

I was the one playing wallflower on Sunday for most of the morning, pestering Richard to get my club member cert signed. [laugh]

Aha, I was wondering what happened to the couple of folks who were there in the morning.

Even if your Garand is not ready for the next match, shoot anyway and grab one of the club rifles. Both are tack drivers thanks to you know who working some magic on them.

Man...I already miss the OCSA matches...hopefully my drill schedule works out to be a little different than the match schedule next year. Then again, I could be in Korea soon anyway...lol.

does Franco do m14's? If I can't figure out my sporadic accuracy issue, I may give it to him to try?

Man...I already miss the OCSA matches...hopefully my drill schedule works out to be a little different than the match schedule next year. Then again, I could be in Korea soon anyway...lol.

does Franco do m14's? If I can't figure out my sporadic accuracy issue, I may give it to him to try?

I believe he does. I heard one member talking about an M1A build that he was going to have Franco finish.

Yes, he definitely does work on M14's / M1A's. Not sure I would ask him to work on an AR, but you can... [laugh]

Oh boy.... you best prepare and get used to ... itsapeezasheeta, I can fix.
I can only imagine what came out of his after checking Rich's gun and finding the chamber over cut.

Service grade Garands became available last night for $730, how would that compare to the WRA or SFG?

Should I order a service grade with a sticky for a WWII receiver?

Last edited:
WRA SG is graded the same as a regular SG except you're paying $200 more for the winny receiver.

There are no WRA SG's available. What is available is the SG $730, the WRA FG $830, and the SFG $830. That is basically what I am choosing amongst.

If you're looking for a shooter, you're not going to do better than the Field Grade Special. You won't get the nostalgia of having a 'correct' rifle, but you could very possibly end up with a WWII receiver at least.

Personally, I'm starting to think a padded cell may make more sense than having a receiver collection attached to complete rifles. I never thought I'd get to the point where i would have 'too many'...but I think I'm here, and I just keep wanting MORE!

I've seen a Field Grade Special in person. If I was looking for a rifle to shoot in JCG Matches this would be the one. You will receive a re-parked receiver that may or may not have pitting on it, a new criterion barrel and new CMP wood. While this is the perfect JCG rifle, the historical aspect of this rifle has been scrubbed clean.

The Service Grades may or may not feature a re-parked receiver, new wood but WILL NOT have a new Criterion Barrel. It's hard to say what the current offering of SGs will be like until you see photos on the forums. You could receive a rebuilt rifle from parts in new wood or something with a little more character in GI wood. The sticky note can have some influence but it's still luck of the draw.

My Friend is not thrilled with his SG Winchester. The fresh parked parts and the new wood and just awful looking stock hardware has put him off. He has now ordered a Win field grade in hopes to have a more "correct looking" rifle. Also ordered a CMP special to shoot often. He says he has a buyer at 1k for the win SG.
Sadly I agree with him on his win service grade.
It just looks to much like a toss to get her rifle. I know cmp has been completing rifles for a long time from parts but the freshly refinished parts just look wrong on it. He has fresh parked rear sight set, op rod and clip latch. The front sight looks refinished also but it's not as fresh looking. His TE MW are 3&3.

If someone wants to swap a freshly parked rear sight for one with the usual aging, I have one with some wear. Works fine, would want to trade for one in good working condition.

There are no WRA SG's available. What is available is the SG $730, the WRA FG $830, and the SFG $830. That is basically what I am choosing amongst.

That's a tough call. For me it's not worth the downgrade and $100 for a Winchester, But many people buy the Winchester for the name. For what it's worth, I did pay the extra $100 for a Winchester a while ago when they couldn't get me a SG Springfield, but it was also a SG. And It was still less than $730.

I've seen a Field Grade Special in person. If I was looking for a rifle to shoot in JCG Matches this would be the one. You will receive a re-parked receiver that may or may not have pitting on it, a new criterion barrel and new CMP wood. While this is the perfect JCG rifle, the historical aspect of this rifle has been scrubbed clean.

The Service Grades may or may not feature a re-parked receiver, new wood but WILL NOT have a new Criterion Barrel. It's hard to say what the current offering of SGs will be like until you see photos on the forums. You could receive a rebuilt rifle from parts in new wood or something with a little more character in GI wood. The sticky note can have some influence but it's still luck of the draw.
This.
My Field Grade Special is my match gun, and I bought it for that purpose. I don't shoot it unless it's something match-related (practice, testing a load, etc.). Very tight stock lockup, brand new barrel, reparked everything. If you want to shoot accurately and/or do matches, it's what I'd pick.

That said, if I had to pick only one, I'd choose my service grade. Not nearly as tight a lockup, but with the USGI wood it just feels right. The coloring of the parts, etc. It has no problem hitting the plates at 100 and I have shot some tight groups. Obviously depends on what you get.

My primary interest is historical and I would choose the service grade every time without hesitation. You could still do matches with a service grade. It all depends on what matters the most to you.

For my first baby, historical matters most. I bid on a few lots in the spring RIA auction but ultimately my budget was low. Now it isn't.

Bigblue, maybe a bigger pain in the butt than you want to deal with, but if you are able to make it to the CMP New England Games. that would be the shortest distance one could go to hand pick M1's at CMP pricing.

Good selection last year, and a couple pallets worth. No idea what would be available this year, given the thinning herd.

RIA has a big auction coming up real soon....pre catalog had several M1 springfields and such

you can always sign up to cmp auctions and fight with the high bidders over there for something special
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=4134&n=M1-Garand-Collector-HRA-5652164

I was thinking of bidding on this since it would fill two holes at once:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...d-military-rifles-m1-garand1903-mark-i#detail

But that lot will likely fetch $2,500-3,000 right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom