• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP 2024 Old Colony sportsmen club Pembroke MA

mac1911

NES Member
It begins Faster than it ends.
I will post the flyer when the web site is updated.
Old Colony 2024 CMP Schedule

Apr 21: Garand & Modern Military

May 19: Garand & Springfield

Jun 9: Garand & Modern Military

Jul 14: Garand & Vintage

Aug 11: Garand & Springfield

Sep 8: Garand & Modern Military

Oct 6: Garand & Vintage

Nov 3: Garand & Modern Military

2024 Flyer
IMG_4309.jpeg

Last edited:
Getting ready. Other than wuick patch and a oil patch before going back into the safe the Rock ola has only shot the Old Colony matches since It was built. 350 rounds max
Thought it would be worse. First patch after a soak with foaming bore clean image.jpg

Getting ready. Other than wuick patch and a oil patch before going back into the safe the Rock ola has only shot the Old Colony matches since It was built. 350 rounds max
Thought it would be worse. First patch after a soak with foaming bore cleanView attachment 851993
Spaghetti King paint that hand guard or was that you? I copied the idea from him- solid hand guard and painted with a medium tone speckle finish for no glare in the sun.

Spaghetti King paint that hand guard or was that you? I copied the idea from him- solid hand guard and painted with a medium tone speckle finish for no glare in the sun.
Yup his paint work. I did not feel like spending $200 on a finisher reamer so I let him put it together.

Oh heres the 03a4 with less ammo through it. Mainly HXP and its a bit more dirty. I have not checked but I think some of the HXP is just copper plated steel jacket?
Its a criterion barrel on the A4
Time to run the brush a few times and call it good
image.jpg

Looking forward to it. It'll be my first competition, you have any tips? Show up at 8? Doesn't say I need to pre register. How much ammo should I bring?

Looking forward to it. It'll be my first competition, you have any tips? Show up at 8? Doesn't say I need to pre register. How much ammo should I bring?
What rifle are you bringing

35 rounds for each event you plan on shooting. Water, snacks , ear/eye protection .

Do you have a rough 100 zero?

What rifle are you bringing

35 rounds for each event you plan on shooting. Water, snacks , ear/eye protection .

Do you have a rough 100 zero?

Thanks for replying, i would have forgotten snacks. Is there an opportunity to fire at the range before the competition? That's not part of the clinic correct?
I have a mixed vintage cmp garand. Stanard issue. The comp is at 200yrds? Should I zero it to 200? Think you can't point me to some match grade ammo? I have some old dutch milsurp ammo that I would prefer to save. And i can get sellier and belliet but heard it's not the best.
I did decent at 50. I expect I'll be half as bad 100 and full bad at 200 lol.
What qualifies as other modern military?

Do people compete with things other than a garand? I have an 03a3 I picked up this weekend. Haven't fired it yet.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for your help.

Thanks for replying, i would have forgotten snacks. Is there an opportunity to fire at the range before the competition? That's not part of the clinic correct?
I have a mixed vintage cmp garand. Stanard issue. The comp is at 200yrds? Should I zero it to 200? Think you can't point me to some match grade ammo? I have some old dutch milsurp ammo that I would prefer to save. And i can get sellier and belliet but heard it's not the best.

Do people compete with things other than a garand? I have an 03a3 I picked up this weekend. Haven't fired it yet.

Questions and new shooters are welcome. Thats what cmp is about.

Zero is probably the wrong term.

If you can get shots safely down range and on target.

For example
The targets we use are SR targets for 200 yard match
The black bulls eye is 13” and the 5 ring is IIRC 36”

100 yards is SR-1 target

6.35” aiming black
18” 5 ring.

In perspective 50 yards would br
3” black
9” 5 ring
Soooo if you can hit these targets 200 is the “same”

100 yard line is open during the match so it is possible to help you

Ammo: dont over think it 35 rounds and run the course. We are shooting at a 13” bulls eye

Keep all 30 shots in the black your shooting min of 270/300

Modern Military : pretty much anything thats not a Garand , Springfield or old bolt gun.

Small local matches like this. Bring what ever you want. Worse case is no trinkets if your gun is not match compliant. Still get to shoot.

Only thing with shooting a non compliant match gun is if a match is really busy you will shoot in later relays. But dont worry about that just come be safe and shoot , worry about details later.

Zero is probably the wrong term.

If you can get shots safely down range and on target.

For example
The targets we use are SR targets for 200 yard match
The black bulls eye is 13” and the 5 ring is IIRC 36”

100 yards is SR-1 target

6.35” aiming black
18” 5 ring.

In perspective 50 yards would br
3” black
9” 5 ring
Soooo if you can hit these targets 200 is the “same”

100 yard line is open during the match so it is possible to help you

Ammo: dont over think it 35 rounds and run the course. We are shooting at a 13” bulls eye

Keep all 30 shots in the black your shooting min of 270/300

Modern Military : pretty much anything thats not a Garand , Springfield or old bolt gun.

Small local matches like this. Bring what ever you want. Worse case is no trinkets if your gun is not match compliant. Still get to shoot.

Only thing with shooting a non compliant match gun is if a match is really busy you will shoot in later relays. But dont worry about that just come be safe and shoot , worry about details later.

Sounds great, I'll come and learn something if nothing else. That was super helpful info. Gives me something to start aiming for (Pun intended). Look forward to it and thanks again if the help!

Sounds great, I'll come and learn something if nothing else. That was super helpful info. Gives me something to start aiming for (Pun intended). Look forward to it and thanks again if the help!
Tou can put a 1/4 to 3/8 dot on a wall 10 feet away or so and practice your hold and sight picture/dry fire.

You dont want to hold to long or glare down through the peep to long.

Natural Point of Aim helps also .
Just read up on it.

I've been practicing! Still can't hit the target at 200yrds standing. But I did practice! Lol. See ya Sunday, I can learn from the pros.

Lots of nice shooting. Mac1911 got the gold in Modern Military and set off the Spaghetti King on a very funny diatribe ripping "pussy guns" (AR's) to shreds.
[rofl]

I whiffed and missed a shot Modern Military but still would not have scored better than Mac if I hadn't. At least I went home w/ a bronze. I'd sure like to be shooting the Springfield next match but that just might not be in the cards for me. We'll see.

Last edited:
Lots of nice shooting. Mac1911 got the gold in Modern Military and set off the Spaghetti King on a very funny diatribe ripping "pussy guns" (AR's) to shreds.
[rofl]

I whiffed and missed a shot Modern Military but still would not have scored better than Mac if I hadn't. I'd sure like to be shooting the Springfield next match but that just might not be in the cards for me. We'll see.
Yeah we all dont have 60 years of stock piled ammo , bullets , powder.
For the foreseeable future he will have to deal with the poosay gun
I have a good pile of PPU M195 to burn up ……
I really need to get a cast load working in the M1a , that should get him on a Full Italian ( language ) rant , possibly taking flight with all the hand flopping. Lol

Im happy with my score for sure , but sadly thats about the best I can muster these days. Any off hand into the 80s is a very good day for me.
Little shy of gold medal score but I will take the trinket!

It was my first time, I had a blast, I learned alot. The 19th is the next one.
@Mountain When it says "garand and springfield" does it mean any springfield? Or just a bolt action springfield?
Bolt action, either a 1903 Springfield or a 1903A3 Springfield. CMP requires 'as issued', so no match peep sights etc.

Every Old Colony CMP match features a Garand Match plus an alternate match that rotates between Modern Military, Springfield, and Vintage.

Bolt action, either a 1903 Springfield or a 1903A3 Springfield. CMP requires 'as issued', so no match peep sights etc.

Every Old Colony CMP match features a Garand Match plus an alternate match that rotates between Modern Military, Springfield, and Vintage.
Sweet, I figured that's what it was. I do have an 03A3, but haven't shot it much. I'm not really sure how accurate it is.

If that 03A3 will hold a 3.5" group at 100 yards, technically you could get a perfect score on the 7" 10-ring of the SR targets used at 200 yards. ;)
Hard to tell with Sellier and belliet ammo. Getting my hands on Match grade 30-06 is literally going to be the reason I start reloading.

Back
Top Bottom