• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP 1917 Service and Field Grade Rifles

BMX

1917 Service and Field Grade Rifles​
Beginning January 9, 2024, CMP will have a very limited quantity of 1917 Service and Field Grade rifles available for mail orders. CMP Stores will also have a limited quantity this week as well. These are sold AS-IS with no returns or exchanges. Once these are sold out, we will not backorder these. Please keep in mind the yearly limit of one (1) 1917 per year, per person. If you have already purchased one this year, you are not eligible until January 2025. For more information on the 1917 rifles, please visit this link https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1917-enfield-rifle-information/. Ordering information may be viewed at https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/ordering-information/.​

Whats the gut feeling , worth the money.
Whats the sold out time line. Days weeks years?

The CMP continues to receive a few dozen of these rifles each year. All of these rifles have been on loan from the U.S. Army to chartered veterans’ organizations for use in honor guards, funerals, and other ceremonial purposes. All are mix-masters and none are in original condition. We receive only a few of this model each year, and in overall poor condition. All sales are AS-IS with NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES.

No thanks.

I remember back when the CMP called a rack grade a rack grade...
It's still hit and miss, though more miss now than it was in the past. I consider myself lucky that the absolutely worst dogshit M1 I received from CMP was destined to be an organ donor for a match rifle anyway. I bought 4 Danish return M1's last year and though I would have liked to get at least one with G.I. wood, they were all solid Service Grades with low barrel wear. I hit the jackpot a couple years ago when asked if I wanted to upgrade a Field Grade to a Service Grade. They sent a USMC O-66 rebuild that had been in storage since the Marines rebuilt it. It's ridiculously accurate too, and I've won a local match or two with it plus silver at a regional. Sometimes I wonder if they 'salt' the shipments with a few gems just to stir up interest- a bit like the "The Claw" arcade game LOL.

That said, I think their current Enfield pricing is too steep for a 'no returns' policy.

Way back I was reading about cmp and grading in some publication they put out.
Grading is largely by ME and TE numbers so you can get a pos stock on a decent barrels reciever
Or like one rifle I got the barrel looked brand new 1+1+
Wood was crap all the parts looked in the white and reciever had pits. SG rating . I sold it to acfriend who likes the look of well worn rifles. I feel like that SG was put together in one of cmps armours class and those where the parts on hand for the class?

The CMP isn't the same as it used to be. It's become an online store since Orest left. The last 1917 I bought cost me $450. It was a Winchester and 3 people in front of me picked it up, commented on how cheap it was and put it down. I picked it up and didn't put it down. I handed it to my wife while I went to get my C&R.

The CMP isn't the same as it used to be. It's become an online store since Orest left. The last 1917 I bought cost me $450. It was a Winchester and 3 people in front of me picked it up, commented on how cheap it was and put it down. I picked it up and didn't put it down. I handed it to my wife while I went to get my C&R.
That was a good score, back in the day. I once saw a rack of them at Talladega for ~$750 IIRC. Should have bought one. Had one I bought from a NES listing. It was nice but I just couldn't warm up to it for vintage matches. Trigger wasn't great and they are not particularly easy to improve. As I get older I could probably use a rear peep sight rather than a blade type.

CMP's stated mission is to promote marksmanship, particularly for youth. Sales of milsurp rifles is a means to an end. They have changed because they think it's a better way to fund the mission. In some cases, like this one, their pricing really isn't that competitive. Their auction prices get pretty ridiculous, but other than the few rifles that go on auction they are still mail order or pick up at the store. You can't buy rifles online and must fill out all the paperwork and meet qualifications to purchase.

Since I started buying from the cmp
Greek returns:
I never have seen M1s , 1903s or ammo as well priced as cmp.

The 1917s where never a rifle I felt comfortable behind so low on the “to buy” list. Im a shooter. If im not shooting it Im generally not buying one.
Since the cmps privatization and incorporation its been a “get the money” organization. Just look at what the board members make and the amount of money cmp has in the ammo crate

Since I started buying from the cmp
Greek returns:
I never have seen M1s , 1903s or ammo as well priced as cmp.

The 1917s where never a rifle I felt comfortable behind so low on the “to buy” list. Im a shooter. If im not shooting it Im generally not buying one.
Since the cmps privatization and incorporation its been a “get the money” organization. Just look at what the board members make and the amount of money cmp has in the ammo crate
You think their 'Expert' grades are still a deal? The former 'Specials' that gave you a Service Grade receiver and parts plus a Criterion barrel and new wood were cheaper than you could have built otherwise. Experts are basically ratted out rack grades that get re-parked, a Criterion barrel, and some new parts and wood.

Mountain has already said it: the money the CMP makes off of rifle sales goes to fund their stated purpose. They are definitely not as affordable as they were 20 years ago, but then again, what is?

It used to be that they'd sell M1's very cheap in order to get more people shooting. I think they found, with the dominance of the AR in competition, that it wasn't working. They are worth way more as collector items.

I have a Winchester that is all matching and another Winchester chambered for 338 WinMag.
It was done by a gunsmith in PA near Pittsburgh that owned a hardware store. He was pretty popular back in his day. Post war through the 60's if i recall.
"ACE" is stamped on the barrel

You think their 'Expert' grades are still a deal? The former 'Specials' that gave you a Service Grade receiver and parts plus a Criterion barrel and new wood were cheaper than you could have built otherwise. Experts are basically ratted out rack grades that get re-parked, a Criterion barrel, and some new parts and wood.
It worth is hard to put on something but yeah if you wanna buy a Garand and go shoot it there’s still a good deal I think or what are you do go hunt down a Garand from a personal sale or a gun shop for one on the cheap side 1000 bucks maybe then have a barrel put on it now and buy a new stock even still I have not seen an M1 Garand for sale in a local gun shop or privately for the same money as a like condition, Rifle from the CMP

So yes, as far as I as M1s are concerned for the average I want a M1 , shooter , non collector type person . Yes still a “good” deal.

Now compare it to what I was making when I bought my last CMP M1 service grade which was a minty 55 HRA but with new wood for $695 or $725 I forget that was a great price. My income has not gone up in percentage as much as the M1s have since then.
My first 2 M1 where when they where under $500 still.

I sent in the papers on a 1917 when I got the email, I hadn’t found the CMP yet when they were a lot cheaper. Wood is in decent shape, no cracks, bore and barrel are both a 2. Overall it’s in pretty good shape

Back
Top Bottom