• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP got some Field Grades

I would never mail order a field or rack grade. Especially now. Too much of a risk.

Full disclosure: I did once order a field grade, about 5? years ago. I was happy with what I got, but that was when the quality of rifles being shipped was generally a lot better than what has been seen lately.

I'm thinking it's time for another road trip to CMP south in November

If you drive there, do you still have to complete all the mail order paperwork?
t
There is paperwork, most of it has nothing to do with the shipping part.

You do get a coupon to go do some shooting at the marksmanship center

And now looks like they have lowered the limit to 6 rifles per year.

I would never mail order a field or rack grade. Especially now. Too much of a risk.

Full disclosure: I did once order a field grade, about 5? years ago. I was happy with what I got, but that was when the quality of rifles being shipped was generally a lot better than what has been seen lately.
Totally agree. Last batch of FG's mostly had pitted receivers. Serviceable, but pitted. Current condition? Who knows. Folks on the CMP forum will probably give some updates once they begin to ship. If these are Philippine returns they are probably going to be rough. A few years back I ordered a FG and it was terrible- I thought it probably should have been a Rack grade at best. It became a donor for a match rifle build so no biggie but otherwise I would have been very disappointed. It was most likely a Turkish return.

I jumped at the chance to grab some Service Grades when they were last available and sold a couple here on the forum. They were Danish returns with receivers in fantastic condition.

Personally, I would only buy one of the FG's if I were at one of the stores and could get my hands on it.

They had Field Grades at the CMP Store during the Nationals last month.... None really stood out and tbh, I would be disappointed to receive one in Mail Order.

They did have some nice Service Grades out though. Most were Danish returns, as evidenced by the VAR barrels. I almost pulled the trigger on one.

Buying mail order M1s from the CMP definitely peaked a few years ago, if not longer. We're left with scraps now. Unless you can get to a store, think before you mail order. That being said, an Expert Grade is a safe bet because it's essentially a new production M1.

Upon further inspection, she is definitely well used and a little sloppy. But, the old girl shoots fairly well! According to the serial number it was made in April 1942 (if I looked that up correctly). The barrel is marked 2-44. This is only my second one, but no marks on the stock except a "P" in a circle under the grip and the numbers 3074 inside the stock.

Shit, I want to order another one already.

Back
Top Bottom