• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Club recommendations

Hardwired

NES Member
I need a new club or at least 2nd option for now that relatively close by and has real Target frames and not trying to prop up shot up crates to staple a paper target too. Good leadership and low fudness and like minded milsurp crowd.

Still working for a living so when I do get out I don’t really have time to wait around for crowds and a couple a yahoos laying prone 50yards down tying up the 100yard range.

Mansfield, Wrentham, Middleborogh, etc is around 30minutes away. OK if there’s a wait as long as it’s in my life expectancy. Prefer no NRA membership or GOAL or GOA accepted instead. If I need NRA again how much am I going to have to send to Wayne for new suits?

It doesn’t have to be a holy grail, just a CMP type club I can do rifle at more like a professional. And not disrespect a 10year member with expletives, cuz you know we have plenty on the wait list to take your place.

Cape Ann was my first CMP outing and excellent people and facility but way too far away. Dighton is close but they closed it to new members when I was looking and have limited facilities but at least they had targets.

My wife and I have been members at Mansfield for years and love the club. It is well managed and VERY active. Having said that, there is a membership cap limit, the club is at that cap limit and there is a waiting list to join. FYI.

I've been at Wrentham for about 7 yrs now.. nice facilities, with stocked pond, archery range, and campsites available, as well as a decent sized hall and outdoor pavilion for private events.. Only time range is not open is during trap on Sundays at 10am, during archery 3D shoots and setup/breakdown (4x yr), and every other Sunday afternoon for organized shoots. Also a decent amount of dinners/events for what it's worth to you

downsides are small bar seems to cause more problems than benefits.. Rifle range is very short at only 50 yds... leadership.. meh.. and in my opinion, the bylaws are outdated and need to be completely rewritten.

a bit on the pricey side at $200/yr with $150 application fee. 16 work hours required, with NRA/GOAL membership. You need a sponsor.

I'm hedging right now if I want to renew for this year, as I got too involved and it left me with a sour feeling.

Great place if you stay away from the clubhouse.

I've been at Sippican in Rochester since '08. You use binder clamps to hang targets on strings between steel posts. $100/yr. All outside; 25, 50, 100; and 200 by qualification.
t
Does the wind have a big effect on a paper target hung this way ??

Walpole Sportsmans association.
Lots of clay options, trap, skeet and 5 stand. Youth league. Thursday night steak and clays.
Pistol and rifle range, 125 yards.
Stocked trout pond on site.
Deer and bird hunting on site, stocked pheasants.
3D archery and a nice practice range.
No NRA membership needed.

Last edited:
Does the wind have a big effect on a paper target hung this way ??
It did originally. Then they ran a second line underneath do you can secure the bottom. Last few years they've had the bottom line adjustable by tying a shackle to one end so the free weight can hold a large or small target stable.
t

It did originally. Then they ran a second line underneath do you can secure the bottom. Last few years they've had the bottom line adjustable by tying a shackle to one end so the free weight can hold a large or small target stable.
t
Thanks for clarifying that !!!! I could see the wind taking all of my shots out of the ten X ring !!!! [rofl]

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the "No blue sky" posts and barriers? Dealbreaker?

I noticed Ames and I think Tiverton has them.

I guess it’s not too distracting if you’re shooting under a covered shed anyway but have never dealt with it. Blue sky smells and feels like freedom to me when I’m outdoors.

I guess it’s at least a risk if the unfriendly local natives forced it upon the club. Like what’s next to restrict the club from the haters.

My wife and I have been members at Mansfield for years and love the club. It is well managed and VERY active. Having said that, there is a membership cap limit, the club is at that cap limit and there is a waiting list to join. FYI.

How busy is the new? Indoor and outdoor ranges?

Outdoor ranges seemed limited capacity. No long range option compared to Ames in the neighborhood.

How long is the wait looking?

Walpole Sportsmans association.
Lots of clay options, trap, skeet and 5 stand. Youth league. Thursday night steak and clays.
Pistol and rifle range, 125 yards.
Stocked trout pond on site.
Deer and bird hunting on site, stocked pheasants.
3D archery and a nice practice range.
No NRA membership needed.
Walpole website seems to be blocked vpn or not??

Club seems active on Fakebook.
What do they have for In and Outdoor and what’s the member fees?

Walpole website seems to be blocked vpn or not??

Club seems active on Fakebook.
What do they have for In and Outdoor and what’s the member fees?
$200 a year for dues and they require a work party or you get wacked for an additional $200. They are pretty easy to come by though as there is always help needed for something, kitchen, clay event, building and grounds etc..
The only thing indoors is the bar and kitchen, no range. Our new clubhouse is only about a year old.
Outdoor would be all the things I listed. If you have a little one and want to camp for a night on the property you can do that as well. I believe we have 28 acres? There is also canoe access to the Stop river if you do the waterfowl thing.
Thursday night steak and clays is open to the public.
Sunday clays is also open to the public.
Here is the website. Walpole Sportsman's Association Inc. - Home
Feel free to send me a PM with any questions, I've been a member there since I was a kid (junior member). I'm in my 50's now.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the "No blue sky" posts and barriers? Dealbreaker?

I noticed Ames and I think Tiverton has them.

I guess it’s not too distracting if you’re shooting under a covered shed anyway but have never dealt with it. Blue sky smells and feels like freedom to me when I’m outdoors.

I guess it’s at least a risk if the unfriendly local natives forced it upon the club. Like what’s next to restrict the club from the haters.
The no blue sky “eyebrow” and barricades are becoming the norm. Anything to keep stray bullets form straying off property.

The no blue sky “eyebrow” and barricades are becoming the norm. Anything to keep stray bullets form straying off property.
How about Indoor with target must be all the way back 50 feet, because idiots shot out the lighting or hit the ceiling? Is this becoming a thing to now.

Kinda defeats the purpose of pistol.

How about Indoor with target must be all the way back 50 feet, because idiots shot out the lighting or hit the ceiling? Is this becoming a thing to now.

Kinda defeats the purpose of pistol.
Yup , long been the norm
At least at the 2 clubs im at

... has real Target frames and not trying to prop up shot up crates to staple a paper target too.
I'd recommend one of my clubs but both seem to have exceeded their quota of people who expect nice target frames, complain when they have to deal with frames that have been shot to hell, yet answer the call for volunteers with silence.

Yes, because people are idiots. Go to any indoor range and look up at the baffles. I guarantee that you will see bullet impacts.

If the club allows people to bring the targets forward, more people will hit the walls, floor, and ceiling.

Club lost a dedicated target maker at the club…..
I know where you can get some lightly used pallets. Bring a wheel barrow ;)

I’ll likely make my own and keep the beater Toyota around to lug the stuff and drudge through the muddy road. At least the new place has rails to hold targets up vertically.

I'd say Mansfield Fish & Game although I pretty much only shoot steel there. Newer indoor range too and zero fudd factor.

Back
Top Bottom