CMP selling service grade Winchester m1 garands

i can not thank you all enough. i finally got to the range today after breaking the rifle down (with the help of a very generous member here)and greasing the necessary points.

i'm still grinning about it.

IMG_20170729_173451.jpg

here are my last two shots at the range today. i ran out of time and still need to work on zeroing the rifle, and undoubtedly more on myself. two shots, taken on the bench, with no sling.
IMG_20170730_170353.jpg

i can not thank you all enough. i finally got to the range today after breaking the rifle down (with the help of a very generous member here)and greasing the necessary points.

View attachment 203975

here are my last two shots at the range today. i ran out of time and still need to work on zeroing the rifle, and undoubtedly more on myself. two shots, taken on the bench, with no sling.
View attachment 203976

you're welcome here anytime, dude...it was no trouble at all, and I'm always a special sort of thrilled to fondle any M1 variant whether I get to toss it in my safe afterward or it goes home with it's owner. I feel like we hit a lot of the finer points of getting to know your rifle, and you should be able to put a good few hundred rounds down the pipe before you have to do anything but grease touch ups on the bolt and receiver in between range trips.

nice shooting!

View attachment 203975

View attachment 203976

100 yards? They don't shoot much better than that!

View attachment 203975

View attachment 203976
Don't think there's a better way to treat your new to you M1 than a detail strip and proper lube.
Now give it a little time to settle in. Shoot some 20 odd shots then get your rough 100 yard zero.
Now a few small things.
Peen the gas cylinder splines on the barrel.
http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/gas-cylinder/
Make sure your lower band is tight. It should not move.
Make sure your stock is not contacting anywhere.
Upper had guard has relief between wood and receiver.
Relieve the barrel channel a little and the area where the op rod travels. Also make sure the rear guard is not hitting the stock...
If your mechanical aplitude is ok the basic trigger job is easy to do.
I will post these a lot . The stock fitting stickies and the files of interest are loaded with info.
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Oh just for info the accuracy requirement for a overhauled M1 garand was 5 consecutive shots from a rest at 1000 inches was 1.77" group. Which is,basically minute of black of the SR1.

Good luck and maybe you should come out to Pembroke on the 6th and run it through.

Last edited:
My Winchester arrived today, a March of 43 With a matching Winchester barrel, barrel gauges 3-3. Stock is a S.A. NFR (Nov44-June45) with a RIA EB rebuild stamp (47-58). The rear hand guard has a op rod dent in it and the front hand guard has a number painted on it. She has a nice tight lock up. All other parts appear to be S.A.. Overall I'm very happy with her.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1547.jpg
    IMG_1547.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1548.jpg
    IMG_1548.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 20
She has a little pitting on the trigger housing.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 20
My Winchester arrived today, a March of 43 With a matching Winchester barrel, barrel gauges 3-3. Stock is a S.A. NFR (Nov44-June45) with a RIA EB rebuild stamp (47-58). The rear hand guard has a op rod dent in it and the front hand guard has a number painted on it. She has a nice tight lock up. All other parts appear to be S.A.. Overall I'm very happy with her.

Wow! What a BEAUTY! And with an original barrel!!! You hit the lottery, sir!

What are these? Is that a Winchester Field Grade? Worth getting as a first Garand?

M1 Garand WRA Field Grade, Please see M1 Field Grade description above.
Limit one RM1WRAF per year.

The field grade is a step down from service grade.
Bottom line is field grade is good enough to put back into the field for use.
I have had 4 field grades all where fine. Not the best for accuracy or shooting for score as the stocks are well worn.
If your looking to just buy a M1 to have and WINchester does something for you then go ahead grab one. If you just want a representation piece AND a good shooter grab one of the CMP field grade specials with new wood and new stock if they still have them.

I think the important thing is what you want out of them. Shooters, collectors and such.
Who knows maybe 40 years from now a CMP special with the awesome criterion barrels and the no longer available boyds stocks will be worth something.

Last edited:
Think I would rather have original wood on a Garand. It isn't something I would shoot a match with so really its another hole in the collection that needs to be filled.

A recent post on the CMP forum by a Staff Member has lead some people to believe that all FGs won't be shipping with GI stocks. Plus some GI stocks are plain dogs. I'm curious to see what comes out of the WRA FG release.

If it didn't ship with a GI stock, wouldn't that make it a special?

my GI stock is pretty plain but I still really like it a lot. circle P but not much more that I've been able to spot just yet...haven't had it out in the sun yet either though. waiting for my chronograph to come back before I take it out with the varget loads I worked up for it.

Think I would rather have original wood on a Garand. It isn't something I would shoot a match with so really its another hole in the collection that needs to be filled.

Herein lies the problem! We need people shooting these at matches to keep the sport alive. I've admittedly just started this year with the CMP matches, but they're SO much fun...it'd be a damn shame if they stopped holding the matches due to lack of participation.

Herein lies the problem! We need people shooting these at matches to keep the sport alive. I've admittedly just started this year with the CMP matches, but they're SO much fun...it'd be a damn shame if they stopped holding the matches due to lack of participation.

I already shoot USPSA and plan to shoot PRS as those are more my style and speed. While I understand that the CMP matches have something to offer, I am not in a position to add another competition to my schedule. I will, however, curate and shoot the rifle should I choose to obtain it.

I am not your "problem".

Back
Top Bottom